Looking better when you are a healthy bmi?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 5:43 am

Do most people look more attractive when there a normal BMI or are there exceptions when individuals are technically overweight but look better?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 5:48 am

If a lot of muscle is contributing to being overweight, then BMI doesn't necessarily dictate physical attractiveness.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 5:55 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
If a lot of muscle is contributing to being overweight, then BMI doesn't necessarily dictate physical attractiveness.

Yeah when I weighed 150 pounds a lot of my male friends said I would look better if I worked out anf go up to 168 lbs

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 6:29 am

Do you want to be attractive to men or women?

If you are getting ripped to the where BMI becomes inaccurate that is a red flag to women that you may be more interested in looking good than listening to a partner in a relationship.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2023, 6:51 am

BTDT wrote:

If you are getting ripped to the where BMI becomes inaccurate that is a red flag to women that you may be more interested in looking good than listening to a partner in a relationship.

Yeah true women are not really interested in dating a guy who spends a lot of time on his muscles.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 4:30 pm

BTDT wrote:

Not necessarily, that depends on the body type

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 5:25 pm

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
BTDT wrote:

Not necessarily, that depends on the body type

Basically this.

Some builds look better underweight, some builds look better overweight.

Some people can look good when they're overweight because they're chubby, other people can only be overweight and look good if it's from muscle mass.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2023, 5:32 pm

^ All of what he said.

Also, it is well known that BMI is an imperfect measure.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 6:02 am

i am 172cm amd currently 170lbs

I am assuming it takes a lot of hard work at the gym to push your BMI into the overweight range in muscle mass?

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 10:38 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
^ All of what he said.

It's a pretty bad one when applied to individuals. It's OK when looking at the population in general, but it wasn't developed by doctors and really shouldn't be used by anybody as it fails to account for a lot of things like your frame size and the distribution of the fat around the body. Nor does it know if you're 200# because of lean muscle or because the extra is fat.

There's better measures, but they mostly require more effort to measure. The waste to hips ratio is much more useful in terms of estimating your health risks.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 10:47 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
^ All of what he said.

It's a pretty bad one when applied to individuals. It's OK when looking at the population in general, but it wasn't developed by doctors and really shouldn't be used by anybody as it fails to account for a lot of things like your frame size and the distribution of the fat around the body. Nor does it know if you're 200# because of lean muscle or because the extra is fat.

There's better measures, but they mostly require more effort to measure. The waste to hips ratio is much more useful in terms of estimating your health risks.

I am 5ft7.5-5ft8 and my trousers are size 32 UK

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 11:08 am

Jamesy wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
^ All of what he said.

You'd measure the widest bit of the hips and what should be the narrowest bit of the waist, usually about where the belly button is. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waist%E2%80%93hip_ratio

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2023, 11:10 am

The NHS still use bmi calculator according to it i need to be 157 pounds to be healthier at my height.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 7:40 pm

Jamesy wrote:
MatchboxVagabond wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
^ All of what he said.

A size 32 waist is perfectly normal.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 7:44 pm

I like men with soft bellies but I've told you that about a zillion times already.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 8:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I like men with soft bellies but I've told you that about a zillion times already.

Is this message aimed at Jamesy?

I have never witnessed you express a like for men's soft bellies.