Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

catabat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Sep 2023, 12:05 am

Hello!

I am a newly diagnosed autistic person who’s AFAB, and I was wondering if anyone who has been diagnosed longer than me might have some advice. I’m a college student, going to turn 20 soon.

I just… what do I need to know? How do I do this?

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 1:20 am

Maybe you could ask something more specific? I don't know how to answer.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 7:10 am

A diagnosis is useful for self realisation on an intangible, meta level.

As for practical purposes, at college you could have more time in your exams for example to answer questions if autism affects your ability to process things in a timely fashion.

Having a diagnosis might be handy later in life if you ever need disability support from the state, for example.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 7:29 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 11:26 am

Besides this section there is the LBGT Discussion section.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 9:18 pm

Well, in my late 40s I realized I was Autistic and had anxiety --- which had previously been diagnosed as mood disorders and depression. It wasn't until years later I realized I also have ADHD. I think the big deal for me is getting in touch with my needs b/c I am so used to hiding and white knuckling through situations and internalizing all the angst. I am working on making space and having grace for myself.

Welcome to WP!

spasmodichercules
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2023, 3:44 pm

I would suggest, in discovering your autism, there's one thing I can think of that would help.

Figure out your sensory needs and what you can do to calm them. If you are hypersensitive, it works wonders to just come up with a few things you can get (such as fuzzy blankies) and stuff you can find online (music, etc.) that will work for you. I have Bart Simpson lofi videos going on my TV all day on YouTube, and I have lots of stuffed animals and wax melts. It might take some trial and error but it will make a huge difference.

Hope this helps! :D

ChicagoLiz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2023, 7:53 pm

catabat wrote:
Hello!

I am a newly diagnosed autistic person who’s AFAB, and I was wondering if anyone who has been diagnosed longer than me might have some advice. I’m a college student, going to turn 20 soon.

I just… what do I need to know? How do I do this?

Knowing the truth about yourself is the necessary foundation to building your own authentic life.

On a practical level, due to ADA and Title IX regulations, almost all colleges in the U.S. have a support team to work with students who would benefit from various types of support to do their best academically as well as help with basic life stuff. There may even be a peer support group you can join. Having a formal diagnosis means you have a right to ask for that support, and they are required* to provide it. You've probably been assigned an advisor, so that's a good place to start to ask how they can help you with this.

You'll figure all this out, one step at a time!
______

*Unless it's Hillsdale College, which refuses to take any governmental funding including financial aid awards so that it doesn't have to follow state or federal laws regarding education and the students in their care....but that's a story for another time!