Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Your favorite social media site(s)?(you can pick 1 or 2)
Twitter 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Facebook 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Youtube 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
Reddit 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Other 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 29

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Sep 2023, 1:14 pm

Other than WP, what is everyone's favorite site(s) for conversation or even just browsing user generated content?

Last edited by Sailon on 08 Sep 2023, 3:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 1:16 pm

I picked Youtube, because it's the only one I use (without an account). I use it for music videos, not conversation.

I was on Facebook for a long time, and for a lesser time; Twitter.

I don't like either of them for their lack of privacy. Though getting into the 'groups' on Facebook can be entertaining if a person manages to find a good one.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 1:31 pm

I don't use any other sites for communication.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 1:39 pm

Facebook is the only one I really use for communication. Not sure I like it that much, but it's the easiest way to contact most people I know. Watch a lot of YouTube, but have never left a comment on anything.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2023, 1:47 pm

Mastodon. It's so chilled and friendly there.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2023, 12:35 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
II was on Facebook for a long time, and for a lesser time; Twitter.

I don't like either of them for their lack of privacy.

Twitter at least allows pseudonyms, in contrast to Facebook's "real names" policy (which FB intermittently enforces by occasionally, and unpredictably, requiring people to upload a scan of photo ID).

On that one issue, at least, Facebook is vastly worse than Twitter, in terms of privacy.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2023, 3:11 am

Yes I deleted my Facebook account when they asked me for ID. No way are they having that.

aerithstrelitzia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2023, 3:36 pm

YouTube and Pinterest is all I've ever needed. I have Instagram solely to use as a chat app because my friends never answer their actual text messages so I got on there solely out of necessity and annoyance. I made a private Facebook (using a fake name and one of those disposable emails so idk how long it'll last) just to make posts in Splatoon because in order to do that you have to link to FB or Twitter and I will not touch Twitter within a 10-foot-pole, especially not after what Elon did to it. ("X"? really? cmon.)

on YT and Pinterest I comment on things, but I don't upload my stuff. I've been thinking about making a new YT channel out of boredom but idk. Pinterest is more of a boredom-reducing/brain-numbing tool for me.

I also use Ibis Paint's built-in art sharing service, and I guess that counts as social media by traditional means but not to me personally.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 4:33 pm

I stick to forums. Various ones that are related to my hobbies and interests. WP is a particularly useful one because it's possible to talk about many different things (including politics and religion which are quite sensibly prohibited on many forums).

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 4:57 pm

WP is still a place that offers what places like Facebook do not, for many people.

A sense of community.

On Facebook, one can often just be a random person lost in a sea of 'like' farmers and news and status updates.

On WP at least some of your posts are read, digested, and replied to and not by the usual angry crowd that seem to respond on social media.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 12:20 am

city-data forum.I just have facebook to keep in touch with my missionary friends in India.I loved MySpace but it got destroyed by facebook.I try to not do social media too much.I do browse Reddit but never post.I am not on any of the newer sites because of my addictive nature and privacy concerns.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 5:32 am

Tumblr.

It isn't social, really, since you can be on it and not interact with anyone besides reblogging (or liking) their posts. Which is great as far as I'm concerned. No arguments. But if you want to you can add a reply when you reblog a post, or you can private message, so it's social for some. Lots of autistic folks, at least in some parts of it.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 5:58 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
WP is still a place that offers what places like Facebook do not, for many people.

A sense of community.

On Facebook, one can often just be a random person lost in a sea of 'like' farmers and news and status updates.

On WP at least some of your posts are read, digested, and replied to and not by the usual angry crowd that seem to respond on social media.

Exactly this^

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 5:59 am

bee33 wrote:
Tumblr.

It isn't social, really, since you can be on it and not interact with anyone besides reblogging (or liking) their posts. Which is great as far as I'm concerned. No arguments. But if you want to you can add a reply when you reblog a post, or you can private message, so it's social for some. Lots of autistic folks, at least in some parts of it.

I was thinking about making a Tumblr account but not sure if I can be bothered starting over and meeting yet another load of new internet people.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 7:59 am

KitLily wrote:
bee33 wrote:
Tumblr.

I was thinking about making a Tumblr account but not sure if I can be bothered starting over and meeting yet another load of new internet people.

If you do go to Tumblr, don't be leaving WP, KitLily. We need you here. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 8:15 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
If you do go to Tumblr, don't be leaving WP, KitLily. We need you here. :)

Steady on, I'm not used to people being nice to me and wanting me to stay anywhere! Not sure what to say to that. :P