Page 3 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Your favorite social media site(s)?(you can pick 1 or 2)
Twitter 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Facebook 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Youtube 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
Reddit 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Other 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 29

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 9:20 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Have you considered Autism Forums as an alternative to Wrong Planet?

It is also a forum for autistic folk, but sometimes has activity when these forums do not. I have only made a few posts over there, but here is the website:

https://www.autismforums.com/

Thanks, I wasn't planning to find another autism forum. I was on a UK one for a while but it was full of right wing extremists so I deleted my account. WP is fine for me so far :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 9:25 am

aerithstrelitzia wrote:
UPDATE: I have joined The 'blr (Tumblr). I've had other accounts in the past that I stopped using for one reason or another, but I think I really did miss Tumblr. I can talk about my hyperfixes and anyone who comes across my blog will listen and it feels nice. I mostly reblog but some of my original posts have gotten some attention.

Oh that's useful to know. The 'blr. LOL.

I have very fast moving interests and quite niche. I write niche fanfiction, maybe the 'blr would be good for that reason. I could find the 2 other people in the world who like the same niches as me. :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 9:27 am

KitLily wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
Have you considered Autism Forums as an alternative to Wrong Planet?

It is also a forum for autistic folk, but sometimes has activity when these forums do not. I have only made a few posts over there, but here is the website:

https://www.autismforums.com/

Thanks, I wasn't planning to find another autism forum. I was on a UK one for a while but it was full of right wing extremists so I deleted my account. WP is fine for me so far :)

Oh dear, that sounds awful, KitLily.

I am glad you are content with WP. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2023, 9:28 am

aerithstrelitzia wrote:
Ooh, DW is nice! I don't use it really for the interacting aspect, it's just me and my journal that nobody looks at even though it's public... I kinda like that for some reason though. I'm sure you could meet some people on there if you tried though, I'm just not sure how to use it properly.

I've seen communities on there. I am a bit nervous of it because it's connected to the Russian Live Journal though.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2023, 7:44 am

Youtube (but for me it's not a social experience as I like to desensitise there)
Devientart ( a great place to meet artists, with a social aspect to it through profiles and comments and direct messages)
Discord ( again, a great place to meet people with similar Interests)
Twitter

I detest reddit

Lately I've been trying tiktok. It's Interesting, a little bit too stimulating. But In small amounts it's a Jolly time, the creaters seem to be more Into Interacting with their fan base too which is a positive

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 7:47 am

jamie0.0 wrote:
Youtube (but for me it's not a social experience as I like to desensitise there)
Devientart ( a great place to meet artists, with a social aspect to it through profiles and comments and direct messages)
Twitter

I detest reddit

Lately I've been trying tiktok. It's Interesting, a little bit too stimulating. But In small amounts it's a Jolly time, the creaters seem to be more Into Interacting with their fan base too which is a positive

What don't you like about reddit?

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2023, 8:27 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
jamie0.0 wrote:
Twitter

I detest reddit

Reddit seems to have a uniform agreemeent on popular opinion. Anyone who speaks against this Is effectively silenced through downvotes.
I like to read and discuss things from different viewpoints. And silencing those who think differently makes maintaining constructive debates hard to maintain.
In contrast, a forum such as WP. Every viewpoint is equally displayed and free to read and reply to.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2023, 8:34 am

jamie0.0 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
jamie0.0 wrote:
Twitter

I detest reddit

Reddit seems to have a uniform agreemeent on popular opinion. Anyone who speaks against this Is effectively silenced through downvotes.
I like to read and discuss things from different viewpoints. And silencing those who think differently makes maintaining constructive debates hard to maintain.
In contrast, a forum such as WP. Every viewpoint is equally displayed and free to read and reply to.

That's a very good point.

I only ever read Reddit whilst logged out on the website, I don't have an account there.

I find the layout to be annoying, also.

Spinflight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Nov 2023, 7:52 am

Back in the early days of the internet the original usenet forums and bulletin boards were an autist's delight. People shared their thoughts and knowledge without self censorship. Arguments raged, many were entirely un-moderated but you got to see what people actually thought, even if they were wrong.

Importantly there was no shame in being wrong. Turned out a lot of commonly held beliefs and stories were urban legends or just part of the perceptional mythos. It was good because people can, on occasion, be interesting so long as they are telling the truth as they see it. People tended to realise quite quickly how little they knew or how little they thought they knew was entirely true. Everybody had been fooled by something, big groups of people collectively remembered things that hadn't actually happened or had completely different recollections of things that most certainly had happened. Your only identity was an email address, which unless you were at a university with an address search function was pseudonymous.

An interesting, and entirely non political, instance of this was the efficacy of martial arts. Just as black belts in various disciplines were being beaten to a pulp in the first mixed martial arts tournaments several generations of internet users were of one mind that the Kung Fu fighter types were far better than they actually were, often being elevated to almost religious like figures of veneration. Reality met mythos and reality won.

There's remarkably few places on the modern internet which even slightly resemble the original. Minds.com is my favourite though most merely resemble indoctrination camps with 1 dimensional caricatures mouthing mod pleasing platitudes. Reddit, facebook and twitter being the worst examples.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:06 pm

Is there moderation on Facebook and Twitter? If there is, it's barely noticeable. People just rant and rave to their heart's content, which is why I left. I prefer civilised discussions, not ranting and raving.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 12:58 pm

KitLily wrote:
Is there moderation on Facebook and Twitter? If there is, it's barely noticeable. People just rant and rave to their heart's content, which is why I left. I prefer civilised discussions, not ranting and raving.

There is, although mileage will vary with how a person receives any moderation.

On Facebook for example, if a person posts on their timeline, something controversial, it will rarely be moderated.

However, if a person posts in a group, the admins of the group, actual humans rather than AI moderators, do delete posts and usually this is in alignment with a group's rules and depends on how active the moderators are also, etc.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 1:27 pm

Oh yes, Facebook groups have moderation. Terrible places though, I kept out of groups.

Twitter however...it was bad pre-Elon with little moderation. But after he arrived, I don't think there was any moderation.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2023, 5:35 pm

KitLily wrote:
Oh yes, Facebook groups have moderation. Terrible places though, I kept out of groups.

Twitter however...it was bad pre-Elon with little moderation. But after he arrived, I don't think there was any moderation.

Twitter appears to have gone from bad to worse!

I am glad. :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 3:31 am

Yes I closed my Twitter account permanently. It's interesting how many of my friends insisted on staying there however. I suppose they just like arguing and being trolled. Hopefully it doesn't mean they support Elon.
:shrug:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 7:02 am

KitLily wrote:
Yes I closed my Twitter account permanently. It's interesting how many of my friends insisted on staying there however. I suppose they just like arguing and being trolled. Hopefully it doesn't mean they support Elon.
:shrug:

Yeah, Elon is awful.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 6:57 pm

KitLily wrote:

A couple of relatively civilised Facebook groups I'm in have run into another problem. Facebook has introduced automoderation for groups... and it is awful. Completely misses actual trolls half the time, and routinely blocks completely harmless posts for no apparent reason. Kind of puts a dampener on discussion when your pleasant and well-considered reply can be obliterated by some inscrutable black box that has randomly decided you're a terrorist.