Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Your favorite social media site(s)?(you can pick 1 or 2)
Twitter 10%  10%  [ 3 ]
Facebook 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Youtube 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
Reddit 14%  14%  [ 4 ]
Other 38%  38%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 29

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 10:32 am

KitLily wrote:
bee33 wrote:
Tumblr.

It isn't social, really, since you can be on it and not interact with anyone besides reblogging (or liking) their posts. Which is great as far as I'm concerned. No arguments. But if you want to you can add a reply when you reblog a post, or you can private message, so it's social for some. Lots of autistic folks, at least in some parts of it.

I was thinking about making a Tumblr account but not sure if I can be bothered starting over and meeting yet another load of new internet people.
I have been on Tumblr for 10 years (3 different blogs at different times) and I literally do not know one single person. You don't have to be social on Tumblr.

But yes, don't leave us!

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 10:37 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
WP is still a place that offers what places like Facebook do not, for many people.
A sense of community.

Yes, indeed!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 12:45 pm

Well that is nice, 2 people like me!

I'm more likely to defect to Mastodon as I'm already on there!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 12:48 pm

bee33 wrote:
have been on Tumblr for 10 years (3 different blogs at different times) and I literally do not know one single person. You don't have to be social on Tumblr.

What is the point of Tumblr then? Isn't it social media where people are supposed to be social? Sorry, I'm confused.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:37 pm

KitLily wrote:
bee33 wrote:
have been on Tumblr for 10 years (3 different blogs at different times) and I literally do not know one single person. You don't have to be social on Tumblr.

What is the point of Tumblr then? Isn't it social media where people are supposed to be social? Sorry, I'm confused.

Tumblr is for making a diary of sorts of content that you have on your own Tumblr display, and consuming the content of others, simply to pass the time of day, as far as I am aware. I haven't visited the site in many years, however, so things might be a bit different.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:38 pm

GadgetGuru wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
WP is still a place that offers what places like Facebook do not, for many people.
A sense of community.

Yes, indeed!

:alien:

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:51 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
KitLily wrote:
bee33 wrote:

Tumblr is for making a diary of sorts of content that you have on your own Tumblr display, and consuming the content of others, simply to pass the time of day, as far as I am aware. I haven't visited the site in many years, however, so things might be a bit different.
Much of the content is very personal so it is like a community, even like a chummy support group, but you don't have to out yourself or make individual connections unless you want to. There are many niches of various interests as well. And a lot of inside jokes that might be puzzling at first. For instance, Tumblr invented the movie Goncharov. (If you're curious: https://gizmodo.com/scorsese-goncharov- ... 1849812229) "Pass the time of day" is not exactly the point, although that can be said of all social media so to that extent, it is.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 3:05 pm

What's the ratio of trolls and bots on Tumblr? That's what I'm concerned about: dealing with an onslaught of trolls.

I joined Reddit and I have to be careful dodging trolls, I only post about Neighbours there. I had to turn off my follower button on there because naked women advertising their blogs kept following me :lol:

the sonic fan 2002
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Sep 2023, 7:15 pm

youtube, twitter and reddit

[url=dailymotion.com/thesonicfan2002]my dailymotion[/url]

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 8:47 pm

KitLily wrote:
What's the ratio of trolls and bots on Tumblr? That's what I'm concerned about: dealing with an onslaught of trolls.

I joined Reddit and I have to be careful dodging trolls, I only post about Neighbours there. I had to turn off my follower button on there because naked women advertising their blogs kept following me :lol:
There really aren't any trolls on Tumblr because it doesn't have the option of leaving comments on a post. (There are some ways of replying to a post but it's not really a comments thread, since it's not easy to follow up or keep track of, and it's usually restricted in some way, in some cases only to people who follow you or who you follow. And you can also turn it off on a post you make so people can't leave a comment at all. Otherwise people can reply to a post by reblogging it and adding their own take, but that requires their response to then become a post on their blog, so they are unlikely to want to post snark on their own blog.) There are a lot of bots but you only come across them because they follow you, and then you can just block and report them, and they're usually easy to spot. and even if you don't block them they don't interact with you other than becoming a follower. If someone is annoying or says something unpleasant, even if it's a political view I don't need to hear, I just block them. This is considered common and normal on Tumblr. For most of the time I have been on Tumblr I only posted photos, so I literally did not say anything ever. That too is common on Tumblr. I enjoy reading the feed of the people I follow, and occasionally I will idly reblog something I like. It's very low-key. But some people do make friends there, though it's mostly a younger crowd.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 2:04 am

That's really helpful information Bee, thanks. :D

I probably wouldn't make friends on Tumblr, I'm far too old at 54 for the young crowd.

Another one people recommend is Dreamwidth, what's that like?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 8:09 am

KitLily wrote:

I probably wouldn't make friends on Tumblr, I'm far too old at 54 for the young crowd.

I have never heard of Dreamwidth. But it sounds like a more niche offering.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 2:10 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

I think Dreamwidth has an older fanbase, that's all I can see as a difference, and it's an older structure.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 2:33 pm

KitLily wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I think Dreamwidth has an older fanbase, that's all I can see as a difference, and it's an older structure.

Have you considered Autism Forums as an alternative to Wrong Planet?

It is also a forum for autistic folk, but sometimes has activity when these forums do not. I have only made a few posts over there, but here is the website:

https://www.autismforums.com/

aerithstrelitzia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2023, 7:20 am

aerithstrelitzia wrote:
YouTube and Pinterest is all I've ever needed. I have Instagram solely to use as a chat app because my friends never answer their actual text messages so I got on there solely out of necessity and annoyance. I made a private Facebook (using a fake name and one of those disposable emails so idk how long it'll last) just to make posts in Splatoon because in order to do that you have to link to FB or Twitter and I will not touch Twitter within a 10-foot-pole, especially not after what Elon did to it. ("X"? really? cmon.)

on YT and Pinterest I comment on things, but I don't upload my stuff. I've been thinking about making a new YT channel out of boredom but idk. Pinterest is more of a boredom-reducing/brain-numbing tool for me.

I also use Ibis Paint's built-in art sharing service, and I guess that counts as social media by traditional means but not to me personally.

UPDATE: I have joined The 'blr (Tumblr). I've had other accounts in the past that I stopped using for one reason or another, but I think I really did miss Tumblr. I can talk about my hyperfixes and anyone who comes across my blog will listen and it feels nice. I mostly reblog but some of my original posts have gotten some attention. (I made a post about how much I love Prompto Argentum from FFXV [I started playing the other night and my brain immediately latched onto him because he's Silly and Attractive] and it has like 14 notes, and I drew Lauriam from KHUX and it has 13 notes. 14 and 13 aren't very big numbers in terms of social media, but it makes me happy that that many people care.) Also had someone give me a link to an archive of Splatoon manga dubs I had been looking for, that's the other nice thing about that site. If you're looking for something on the internet and are having trouble finding it, you can make a post asking and someone will give you what you're looking for. I also remember on one of my previous accounts I had made a post asking if anyone had a code to Toyhouse (idk how to describe TH it's like an OC info storage thingy? my fellow artists with OCs probably know what I'm talking about but you need an invite code for it and googling "Toyhouse invite code" doesn't heed very many results) and even offered to make some art in exchange, but a little while later I got an anon ask from someone just giving me a code. I remember it really made my day and I shall be forever grateful for that anon, whoever they may be, even though I don't really use TH because it's kind of confusing to use.

aerithstrelitzia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2023, 7:23 am

KitLily wrote:

Ooh, DW is nice! I don't use it really for the interacting aspect, it's just me and my journal that nobody looks at even though it's public... I kinda like that for some reason though. I'm sure you could meet some people on there if you tried though, I'm just not sure how to use it properly.