Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2023, 8:56 pm

Pastor of Missouri church calls autism ‘demonic,’ says it can be ‘healed’ with prayer by Mike Stunson, Kansas City Star, September 13, 2023

Quote:
The pastor of a Baptist church in Missouri has doubled down on comments saying autism is caused by “demonic” forces.

Pastor Rick Morrow of Beulah Church in Richland, Missouri, has received heavy criticism following the comments made during a Wednesday, Sept. 6, sermon.

Morrow claimed autism can be treated if you “just cast the demon out.”

“I know a minister who has seen lots of kids that are autistic, that he cast that demon out, and they were healed, and then he had to pray and their brain was rewired and they were fixed,” Morrow told his congregation.

“If it’s not demonic, then we have to say God made them that way,” he continued. “Like that’s the only other explanation. ’Why does my kid have autism?’ Well, either the devil has attacked them, he’s brought this infirmity upon them, he’s got them where he wants them, and/or God just doesn’t like them very much, and he made them that way. Well my God doesn’t make junk. God doesn’t make mess ups.”

[...]

Some Facebook commenters pointed out Morrow was a member of the Stoutland Schools Board of Education. A Change.org petition was created calling for the removal of Morrow from the board.

Morrow resigned from his Board of Education position on Tuesday, KY3 reported. Stoutland Schools said in a statement to KY3 that Morrow’s comments do “not speak for the Board of Education as a whole, nor the district itself.”

McClatchy News has reached out to the school district and is awaiting a response.

‘THIS IS NOT PREACHING LOVE’

Members of the Missouri community and parents who have children with autism have spoken out against Morrow and his comments.

Samantha Jaramillo, a mother who operates the Autism and You page on Facebook, called Morrow a “false prophet” and said his words were “an attack on the special needs community.”

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2023, 9:00 pm

In severe cases of autism, it is understandable how someone who is fervently religious and ignorant about autism could attribute autism to 'demonic' forces, but at the same time it is an affront to the special needs community, as well as the parents of autistic children.

So it doesn't surprise me he has been removed from some position he formerly had. It was a bad move to say something so controversial.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2023, 9:01 pm

Pastor resigns from Stoutland School Board amidst backlash from autism comments during sermon

18044 S MO-7
RICHLAND, MO 65556

417-322-3630

Just in case anyone wishes to give them a jangle.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ShamanQueen
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Sep 2023, 7:25 pm

I am shamanism and I have Asperger’s and I don’t feel that prayer can fix everything nor science. But that is just me. I am

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 11:37 am

Here we go again.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cecilfienkelstien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 12:29 pm

Terrible.

GadgetGuru
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 1:17 pm

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 6:46 am

A "Pastor" we would describe by the term "Ranter" back in the 1650's, a movement which burned itself out over following decades but seems to be making a comeback.

The individual probably got off so much preaching the same sort of hateful nonsense against anyone different in any way against whom he could stir a mob he forgot the line between socially acceptable targets$ ( trans* people, gay and lesbian people, in earlier times Jewish or Catholic people) and picked a target which gave him a well deserved push back.

$ only in his particular hateful bubble
"May he be investigated for tax"

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 6:59 am

People like that say anything can be healed by prayer. He's just pandering to religious extremists.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 9:29 am

Hmmmm.. spent some time in that State , kinda feels " Just Like Home"....
This Guy( Pastor? ) really should have never been able to be able to speak in public on issues of that nature .
Much less get into any kind of Church Leadership position....Gawd help Us ..! :skull:

where ever you go ,there you are

Mrs.Gone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2023, 8:53 am

From my point of view it's the "pastors" and all the religions they will force down your throat and up your ass and what not that are demonic. Never mind "democracy" and "human rights": In most countries of the world religion is a sect-like parallel power and if you are disabled, sick, destitute they will double down on their abuse of power to make you "fit" into their demonic, anti-democratic and liberty-killing schemes.
If you are autistic and / or "mentally ill", even the air that you breath will become conditional to your obedience to their "master plan". The so-called "liberals" and "dems" of all stripes are the worst: They speak from both sides of the mouth, praising "freedom of conscience", science and all on one side, preying on the poor and the disabled on the other to feed what they call "god" - that pyramidal Ponzi scheme made by and for the rich and the powerful (that's all there is to "god": rich and powerful "chosen" people imposing their views on others via a plethora of false gods singing "Chain of Fools", all happy to forget that "there is no good chain-gang"). Anyone who doesn't fit is labeled as "demonic"[/i][/I]. That Missouri pastor can shove it and keep his projections to himself.

Sailon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2023, 8:05 am

That is disappointing to read.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 9:23 am

Beware the Nutters wearing cloaks of leadership in White saintly robes. 8O

where ever you go ,there you are

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 4:09 pm

With hate like that, I think he would be well advised to read his bible. The central message of the new testiment is rehabilitation and getting your life fixed. A key message is "take the log from your own eye before the spec from someone else's eye !"

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.