I think have depression over not making many friends

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Sep 2023, 9:09 pm

My friend said I will probably make other friends but I don't believe that because I haven't made any new in person friends in a very long time and I only really have 2 in person every week. Do any of you have depression of not making too friends?

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 10:53 am

There are studies which suggest that one experiences higher levels of depression when they lack friendships. However, have you thought about connecting with Best Buddies International? They pair you up with a peer who can do things with you. Best buddies is a great place to make friends.

Another option would be getting involved in things that interest you such as clubs and other related activities. Even if you don't go and meet friends immediately, just keep showing up.

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Sep 2023, 6:28 pm

I'm not really interested in clubs. I have done Special Olympics before and I've never made a single friend from that organization. I'm nearly 40 years old and I don't like when people talk to me about making friends. Not unless they themselves want to be my friend or would introduce me to someone else.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:43 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I'm not really interested in clubs. I have done Special Olympics before and I've never made a single friend from that organization.

I'm sorry to hear that.

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I'm nearly 40 years old and I don't like when people talk to me about making friends. Not unless they themselves want to be my friend or would introduce me to someone else.

Ooops! Looks like I may have given some unwanted advice on friendships.

Here in the "Social Skills and Making Friends" section of Wrong Planet, people usually post either to seek or to give advice. If you don't want advice but just want to commiserate with other people who are having difficulty finding friends, the relevant section of Wrong Planet is "The Haven".