Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 7:16 am

I would love for the new series of Frasier to be as good as the original. Trying hard not to judge it by the trailer.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 8:51 am

Wait. Was Niles there? I would require Niles and Daphne.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 8:55 am

No niles. No daphne. Deeply concerning.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 9:00 am

BUT WHY

and the dog

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 9:12 am

these things that the Frasier show made iconic...for that series ... Its just not feeling right without those other characters . 8O :ninja: :( ...... You can't have Frazier , Without Niles ! much less the dog .! :( .
Hope they figure it out .. but am able to live with reruns so far.... :D

where ever you go ,there you are

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 9:40 am

Thanks for posting that!

I have mixed feelings about this. Sooo many of the original cast missing. No Niles, Daphne, Roz (or Martin, obviously)

This trailer gives me the vibe of 'Cheers!' which I did not like. I preferred 'Frasier'.

On the plus side, they seem to be going for the 'mismatched relatives' again. Only this time it's the regular, everyman type of son and the fastidious, fussy type of father. Good idea but will it work?

It just makes me think WHY? Why ruin a great show by reanimating it?

It was like the new version of Will and Grace. WHY? They uprooted the lovely way the first show ended and just made Will, Grace and Jack into older versions of themselves who hadn't moved on in life at all. And it meant Will's wedding to Vince was erased, and I LOVED Vince, he was perfect for Will. And their son was erased too, as was Grace and Leo's daughter! Unforgivable.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 10:23 am

Yes indeed^^^ .
And with what I have seen in professional make up artists...In fact you might easily be able to create or recreate these , individuals for that sake of the show. Or maybe fix up the ones that are still alive to " de-age" them with make up . Gotta wonder if Kelsey Grammers personality, might be ( to big) to be seen with other older actors , after his previous successes...maybe he is getting jaded about sharing his wealth??popularity?. with the older cast members now. ? or their agents want too much money for them to return to the Tele screen?
Sorry to say but Kelsey grammer age looks older than he should ? And that is very possibly even with his makeup?
These people , i am quite sure understand their appearance, their faces (and acting skills)are the money thing that got them where they are in the movie and Tele Industry...So with that in mind , he has removed the more valuable faces in the series . 8O :(

where ever you go ,there you are

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 10:53 am

My understanding is that David Hyde Pierce (Niles) didn't want to do it. So I guess that's Daphne out by association. The guy who played Martin died sadly. I think Roz is going to make a cameo at some point but I guess with the premise that Frasier has returned to Boston it's realistic that few of any of the old supporting characters would be there as well.

Honestly I'm mainly struggling with two things.

Firstly seeing how old Kelsey Grammar is now makes me feel really old. I was watching the original series in my teens and Frasier seemed really old to me then. Now I'm older than he was then and he's now really old.

Secondly Rodney being in it. For the Americans - Nicholas Lyndhurst is very famous in the UK for playing a character in a sitcom and it's really difficult to separate him from the character he played. That's a bit uncharitable, I'm sure he's a better actor than I'm giving him credit for. But still, it's like breaking the fourth wall to see him in a glossy US sitcom.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 11:49 am

Jakki wrote:
Yes indeed^^^ .
And with what I have seen in professional make up artists...In fact you might easily be able to create or recreate these , individuals for that sake of the show. Or maybe fix up the ones that are still alive to " de-age" them with make up . Gotta wonder if Kelsey Grammers personality, might be ( to big) to be seen with other older actors , after his previous successes...maybe he is getting jaded about sharing his wealth??popularity?. with the older cast members now. ? or their agents want too much money for them to return to the Tele screen?
Sorry to say but Kelsey grammer age looks older than he should ? And that is very possibly even with his makeup?
These people , i am quite sure understand their appearance, their faces (and acting skills)are the money thing that got them where they are in the movie and Tele Industry...So with that in mind , he has removed the more valuable faces in the series . 8O :(

I thought I read that Niles, Daphne and Roz etc. didn't want to come back to the show. I can understand why- it's raking up the past.

And what I've read about Kelsey Grammer is that he's the exact opposite of Frasier Crane in his real personality. Kind of like a surfer beach bum type who does extreme things. So who knows what decisions that sort of person would make.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2023, 11:53 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Secondly Rodney being in it. For the Americans - Nicholas Lyndhurst is very famous in the UK for playing a character in a sitcom and it's really difficult to separate him from the character he played. That's a bit uncharitable, I'm sure he's a better actor than I'm giving him credit for. But still, it's like breaking the fourth wall to see him in a glossy US sitcom.

Being English, I get that. I keep expecting Del Boy to turn up saying 'mange tout, Rodders you plonker, mange tout' or something. I'm not sure he would fit in a glossy sitcom like that. I expect he is the replacement for Niles, he certainly looks a bit like him.

Again for the Americans, Nicholas Lyndhurst played Rodney, the gormless, gullible brother of the wheeler dealer wide-boy Del Trotter in Only Fools and Horses, a comedy which ran for far too many years.

It all seems a bit like a pointless reboot IMO.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2023, 12:12 pm

DuckHairback wrote:
Firstly seeing how old Kelsey Grammar is now makes me feel really old. I was watching the original series in my teens and Frasier seemed really old to me then. Now I'm older than he was then and he's now really old.

I remember when that started happening to me.

I may watch it. I've gotten pretty good at accepting rebooted shows being different. I treat it as a new show as opposed to a continuation of the old show. Although, give it time, and I'll be brooding over how some show is not the same because such-n-such is not on it, or they changed something that I thought was key to the show.

I remember when Enzo on Reboot changed into a grown up from spending too much time trapped on the Internet. It just bugged me.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 3:36 am

If you think Fraiser is old now then wait until you see return of Basil Fawlty 8O

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 5:24 am

^oh god, please no.

I have more confidence in the Frasier reboot being a worthwhile watch than I do Fawlty Towers.

I'll forgive Frasier almost anything as long as its funny,which is a possibility because it'll be the result of a fresh writers room, not one person who was funny four decades ago.

It's been a looong time since John Cleese has done anything funny, and his constant whinging about how he's been cancelled by the BBC has turned me off him.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 6:32 am

Are they rebooting Fawlty Towers??? Or are you joking? I can't imagine that as a reboot. Although John Cleese seems to be turning into Basil Fawlty as he ages, so maybe it's a reality show! :lol:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 6:43 am

Not heard much about it lately but this story was around earlier in the year:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64563839

Whiffs a bit of nepotism. Also, it's interesting that Cleese seems to be held solely responsible for Fawlty Towers when Connie Booth co-wrote all of them and barely gets a mention, and has nothing to do with the reboot.

But yes, John Cleese's descent into the very thing he once lampooned is disheartening to watch.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2023, 6:52 am

The reboot sounds like a load of rubbish to me. Especially the excluding of Connie Booth.

Yes it's very odd to see Cleese turning into an angry, right wing bigot. I'm not sure what the rest of the Pythons think about it, although some of them have very strange views themselves.

Although I noticed that Alastair Stewart, the GB News presenter and Brexit fan, has now got dementia. I wonder if a lot of people's changing views as they get older are the result of declining mental capacity. Cleese is now 83.

My mother in law became very racist in her 80s as she declined into dementia, when she wasn't at all before. My own mum is 85 and she is starting to talk critically about 'foreigners' and she was never, ever racist before now.

It is certainly something to wonder about.