Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 1:17 am

I am a 59 year old woman and I have never worn makeup. To be fair, most of the women I know also don't wear makeup, like my sister for instance.

I'm thinking of trying but I don't know where to start. For one thing, I have bags under my eyes and some occasional acne or weird dry spots on my face that I think might be an allergy, and I don't know how to deal with them, so it seems like I would have to work on that first?

But what I have been thinking of is: a bit of concealer here and there to cover up imperfections, lip color of some kind (lip liner plus lipstick?), maybe a very slight dark gray eye pencil line along the upper lash line, and, because I have very skimpy eyelashes, some very understated false eyelashes (do these even exist?). I'm not sure about blush, and I'd like to avoid foundation.

I kind of feel like I might look like the guys in Monty Python when they are dressed up as frumpy hausfraus if I try.

Somewhat unrelated, but the whole concept of painting on my face has always been super weird to me.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 5:15 am

I've worn make up a lot of times but never liked it. It is all the taking it off every night that annoys me. So much scrubbing and rubbing at my face and eyes, it can't be good for them. Why put something on if you're only going to take it off?

I had no idea what to wear or how to look until I found this: Dressing Your Truth (the link below).

https://my.liveyourtruth.com/dyt/blog/

It is one of those systems that divides people into types and gives advice what to wear so you look your best. And what make up to use, how to put it on and what suits you.

It works. I've never looked better since I started this system and I don't have to think about it, I just buy the styles they advise and look good without much effort. I hope you give it a chance.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 6:31 am

Makeup can boost a persons self esteem if it is done correctly.

I say, give it a try. If you don't like it you can always just not bother again.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 10:02 pm

Thanks to both.

I looked at the website and there's a lot there. I'll look into it more closely.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 7:33 am

bee33 wrote:
Thanks to both.

I looked at the website and there's a lot there. I'll look into it more closely.

Yes they want us to pay but there is A LOT of free information and advice there, so you don't have to pay anything. But they are a family run business so that reassures me and they will always answer any questions personally.

I am a big fan of those clothing systems, I have zero idea of what to wear so I stick to their clear advice closely.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2023, 7:51 am

From the website:
The one that suits me is... none. Other :D

But finding a style that suits both your body and your temperament is crucial. If any of the types suits you, use the advice :D

I rarely wear makeup but when I do, I use natural oils for removing it. Rose seed oil is my favorite, it does with to face something no cream and no serum can do. Kind of solves its problems, both with dryness and with oiliness.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 9:59 am

I'm type 4. After wondering for a year or so and trying most of them out, I realised type 4 is me.

The thing is, there are actually 12 types. Each of those 4 types has a secondary type, so you can be a type 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 2/1, 2/3 etc. etc. So it's not as restrictive as it seems, no one is only type 1, type 2 etc. But it's easier to find out your primary type first without getting muddled with secondaries.

But things like that take the uncertainty out of life for me so I stick with it.

Rose seed oil, that sounds interesting!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2023, 10:06 am

Yeah, I'm closest to primary 4 and secondary 2 but the center of who I am is missed by this system: I'm an outside observer, more part of the nature than the society, and that's what I primarily reflect with my style. Nature-loving geek. When I dress according to this, people know better what to expect from me - and I feel myself in my skin.

There's another system I find very useful for me, though: 12 color seasons. I'm Soft Autumn and that fits my old observation that I look good in colors that are difficult to name :D

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 11:29 am

I'm a 2, but I live in pyjamas.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 11:36 am

There's so much more to find in that system if you explore the site. It's all about energy and how you move through life, that's the main thing. So many weird little things I do were suddenly explained by it.

I thought I was a type 3 at first then realised I'd been trained to act that way by whatever influences- society? Family? I don't know. Then I thought maybe a 2, but I'm too blunt and harsh for that. So I ended up as a 4, which fits me, especially now I've settled on being a type 4/3. Once I've been still and perfected things for a while, I need to move forward and get things done.

I don't especially like the texture of type 4 clothes (smooth and sleek) but I add the texture of the type 3 clothes which is rough, bumpy, substantial. I like that better but the pure colours are the best ones for me :heart: But I find the design line, fabric and patterns of the type 4 clothes just right.

Last edited by KitLily on 18 Sep 2023, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 11:37 am

magz wrote:
Yeah, I'm closest to primary 4 and secondary 2 but the center of who I am is missed by this system: I'm an outside observer, more part of the nature than the society,

Actually you've hit exactly the way type 4 people act. Observing, noticing things, often perfecting them. It is uncanny.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 11:38 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm a 2, but I live in pyjamas.

Sounds perfect for a type 2 :) :P

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 11:44 am

bee33 wrote:
Thanks to both.

Actually I forgot to add, that system is designed by women for women. We're trained by society to think 'oh we don't fit those clothes and fashions, we need to lose weight, change our hair, get fitter, be more fashionable' etc. etc.

No. The woman who designed the system points out- it is the clothes that are wrong for us. The clothes should fit us! We shouldn't have to change our bodies to fit the clothes society says we should wear!

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2023, 11:57 am

KitLily wrote:
There's so much more to find in that system if you explore the site. It's all about energy and how you move through life, that's the main thing. So many weird little things I do were suddenly explained by it.
That's exactly where I find myself not fitting - my way of moving through life is outside a simple mix of the four. Like every model, it works within some region and fails outside of it. To me, all the "types" presented look almost the same :lol:

KitLily wrote:
I thought I was a type 3 at first then realised I'd been trained to act that way by whatever influences- society? Family? I don't know. Then I thought maybe a 2, but I'm too blunt and harsh for that. So I ended up as a 4, which fits me, especially now I've settled on being a type 4/3. Once I've been still and perfected things for a while, I need to move forward and get things done.
Oh, that I understand. Just like when learning I was INTP I realized the "P" in the end, my lack of capacity for planning, was never my moral shortcoming (as I was pushed to believe), it was a part of how I work and why I'm good at managing unpredictable situations.
Learning words to describe who you are is extremely important :heart:

KitLily wrote:
I don't especially like the texture of type 4 clothes (smooth and sleek) but I add the texture of the type 3 clothes which is rough, bumpy, substantial. I like that better but the pure colours are the best ones for me :heart:
For me, only broken, unobvious colors. Textures rather than patterns. Angular shapes and "military" details like patch pockets and epaulettes.
I have no idea which "type" it fits but that's where I feel my "energy" and my body and my clothes are in harmony.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 12:18 pm

Well, we all have the four types within us, one is just the most dominant. Quite neatly, my type order is 4/3/2/1. So I'm primary 4, secondary 3, tertiary 2 and quaternary 1. How convenient eh! So I'm Earth, Fire, Water, Air.

I find it very useful in getting on with other people- if I can work out what type they are I can communicate better with them. Mostly anyway.

Yes, the words to describe yourself are important. I thought being a perfectionist was a bad thing but in fact it is very helpful and now I've learned to love it i.e. I'm an editor, perfecting people's writing.

I'm INFJ in the MBTI system.

(Quoting Magz) For me, only broken, unobvious colors. Textures rather than patterns. Angular shapes and "military" details like patch pockets and epaulettes.
I have no idea which "type" it fits but that's where I feel my "energy" and my body and my clothes are in harmony.

That is type 3. It is a great look, very dynamic, lovely rich colours.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Sep 2023, 12:41 pm

KitLily wrote:
Well, we all have the four types within us, one is just the most dominant. Quite neatly, my type order is 4/3/2/1. So I'm primary 4, secondary 3, tertiary 2 and quaternary 1. How convenient eh! So I'm Earth, Fire, Water, Air.

I find it very useful in getting on with other people- if I can work out what type they are I can communicate better with them. Mostly anyway.
That's an idea - useful mental map to communicate with people.

KitLily wrote:
Yes, the words to describe yourself are important. I thought being a perfectionist was a bad thing but in fact it is very helpful and now I've learned to love it i.e. I'm an editor, perfecting people's writing.

I'm INFJ in the MBTI system.
That's something we all need to learn - find areas where our "shortcomings" are actually advantages :)

KitLily wrote:
(Quoting Magz) For me, only broken, unobvious colors. Textures rather than patterns. Angular shapes and "military" details like patch pockets and epaulettes.

That is type 3. It is a great look, very dynamic, lovely rich colours.
Sometimes I think there are more than one dimension on the introvert-extrovert scale. I can't work with people around and I need plenty of time alone but I love bold adventure.