Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm

magz wrote:
That's an idea - useful mental map to communicate with people.

Yes, it really helps, if someone is OBVIOUSLY a type (whatever) I know what to say to them e.g. a type 1, I try not to be negative or complain to them, they can't handle it.

magz wrote:
That's something we all need to learn - find areas where our "shortcomings" are actually advantages :)

yes indeed. I can even spot plotholes in everything now and say how to fix them.

magz wrote:
But toned down to reflect my Soft Autumn colors and introvert nature :D Sometimes I think there are more than one dimension on the introvert-extrovert scale. I can't work with people around and I need plenty of time alone but I have rather strong desire for bold self-expression.

Yes, that would be a type 3/2. Dynamic but toned down.

See why I get excited about this? I like assessing people :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 12:27 am

Although I love fashion as an art form, I don't think I understand how clothes look on me. I feel that one has to be able to pull off a look, it's not enough to admire a style, and I just don't know how to do that. I pretty much only wear t-shirts and lightweight pants, usually black. (Also, where I live it's very hot most of the time, so I can't wear for instance a cute sweater or even a shirt with long sleeves, or even a shirt made of a slightly thicker fabric.) I do have some nice sandals that were a gift.

I kind of feel the same way about hair, make up, and clothes. They all feel strange to me and I don't know what to do except to wear something very plain and in a very plain style. I actually thought that was an autistic thing?

I make an effort to try to choose some shirts that are a bit more feminine than just a plain t-shirt. Otherwise I would just wear men's clothes. And in fact the most recent t-shirts I bought were from the men's department. The other issue I have is where to find clothes to buy. I mostly see styles for sale that I don't really like.

I still haven't delved into the website except superficially. I need to do that.

As far as identifying the different types in other people, that is way beyond me!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 2:55 am

bee33 wrote:
Although I love fashion as an art form, I don't think I understand how clothes look on me. I feel that one has to be able to pull off a look, it's not enough to admire a style, and I just don't know how to do that.

I kind of feel the same way about hair, make up, and clothes. They all feel strange to me and I don't know what to do except to wear something very plain and in a very plain style. I actually thought that was an autistic thing?

I still haven't delved into the website except superficially. I need to do that.

As far as identifying the different types in other people, that is way beyond me!

Oh yes, I've no idea what a 'look' is or how to pull off a look. I just wear what DYT tells me and people give me compliments. I like looking in the mirror now because I generally look much better in these colours and hairstyle. I used to wear jeans and a logo t-shirt all the time and when I was about 40, someone said 'you must be retired now' implying I was aged 60+ and obviously I was mortified.

I really needed to be told what to wear by an expert and now I've got that. I don't wear make up, can't be bothered, but my hair and clothes look nice, so I'm happy.

I can spot types in people who are very obvious, like two women I used to work with. One was such an obvious type 3 and the other was an obvious type 2. And I've worked out my husband and daughter's types. She loves types and helped me though, she is far more fashion conscious than me. I have zero idea about fashion.

I thought you could look up the make up advice on the DYT website, Bee, that's all. I then got carried away talking about clothes.

Sorry I took over your thread :heart:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Sep 2023, 3:13 am

bee33 wrote:
Although I love fashion as an art form, I don't think I understand how clothes look on me. I feel that one has to be able to pull off a look, it's not enough to admire a style, and I just don't know how to do that. I pretty much only wear t-shirts and lightweight pants, usually black. (Also, where I live it's very hot most of the time, so I can't wear for instance a cute sweater or even a shirt with long sleeves, or even a shirt made of a slightly thicker fabric.) I do have some nice sandals that were a gift.
Apparently, you're not a fan of skirts, dresses and tank tops? These are pieces of fashion appropriate in hot weather.
I can often find myself dressed entirely in Decathlon :D Sportswear nowadays offers more variety in style, while remaining comfortable and practical. I hate the traditional neon colors and agressive patterns, but today they are totally avoidable.

There are styles I admire but that just don't fit me. So I just admire them on other people :)

bee33 wrote:
I think it is an autistic thing to be minimalist about things that are not your special interest.
And sensory issues. One of the reasons I don't wear makeup is that it restricts what I can do with my face. I have face-related stims.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 5:02 am

That is a good point about make up, Magz.

I don't like the feel of make up, it irritates my skin and eyes. And there are so many layers, why do we have to wear primer, foundation, powder? Why can't we look natural? And then we have to take it all off again and repeat the next day. Why? It's boring.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Sep 2023, 5:18 am

KitLily wrote:
That is a good point about make up, Magz.

I don't like the feel of make up, it irritates my skin and eyes. And there are so many layers, why do we have to wear primer, foundation, powder? Why can't we look natural? And then we have to take it all off again and repeat the next day. Why? It's boring.

I used BB cream or semi-transparent foundation fluid as a single layer.
When my work required looking a bit more... socially acceptably, my makeup routine was: BB all over the face, light beige around the eyes and that's all - in case of accidental ruining of the makeup, nothing really bad could happen. I have naturally dark eyelashes so my only needs for eye makeup were concealing the dark circles and brightening my gloomy natural look.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 5:22 am

KitLily wrote:

No problem! It turned into an interesting topic.
magz wrote:
Apparently, you're not a fan of skirts, dresses and tank tops? These are pieces of fashion appropriate in hot weather.
I can often find myself dressed entirely in Decathlon :D Sportswear nowadays offers more variety in style, while remaining comfortable and practical. I hate the traditional neon colors and agressive patterns, but today they are totally avoidable.
Skirts, dresses and tank tops would require me to shave legs and/or armpits, so no, they are way out of my comfort zone. And even without that concern, I don't think I want my legs exposed. I wasn't familiar with Decathlon, so I looked at it, but as with other sportswear I don't like the feel of the fabrics and the clinginess, though I think it looks good, it just wouldn't feel right on me.

I guess I never really thought about it but there are a lot of things I wouldn't wear. :)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Sep 2023, 5:44 am

Sportswear is not limited to leggins and snuggy vests :D

Examples of things from there I actually own and wear:

And now for somenthing completely different:
How do you feel about flax and short-sleeved buttoned shirts?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 7:12 am

magz wrote:
I used BB cream or semi-transparent foundation fluid as a single layer.
When my work required looking a bit more... socially acceptably, my makeup routine was: BB all over the face, light beige around the eyes and that's all - in case of accidental ruining of the makeup, nothing really bad could happen. I have naturally dark eyelashes so my only needs for eye makeup were concealing the dark circles and brightening my gloomy natural look.

Does that stay on alright though? I find by the end of the day foundation has cracked and gone into my wrinkles, especially under the eye. The wrinkles don't show up when I don't wear make up but they do when I wear foundation. Same with eye make up. Unless I wear primer it doesn't stay in the same place, it ends up in the creases and corners.

I used to wear Bare Minerals powder but as I said, I've got wrinkles now and powder just doesn't work with older skin.

You are a lot younger than me, I guess your skin is a lot smoother.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Sep 2023, 8:06 am

Around eyes, my skin is not smooth at all, it's very thin and full of lines. Any powder looks disastrous on it and makes me look like 15 years older. Even when I wear powder, I don't put it around my eyes.
Semi-transparent, "natural glow" kind of foundations (instead of matte powders) don't expose these lines that way and as the foundation fades away with e.g. sweating, it becomes just less visible, no additional effects.
That's my another problem - I sweat rather a lot and most powders darken with it and start looking dirty; on hot days, the whole makeup can just melt away. That's where this minimalist approach, based on Korean tutorials, comes in.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 9:41 am

bee33 wrote:
KitLily wrote:

No problem! It turned into an interesting topic.

Oh that's a relief. I know I tend to take over topics sometimes when I get very enthusiastic and often get told off and to calm down, when I'm just very enthusiastic.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 9:45 am

magz wrote:
Around eyes, my skin is not smooth at all, it's very thin and full of lines. Any powder looks disastrous on it and makes me look like 15 years older. Even when I wear powder, I don't put it around my eyes.
Semi-transparent, "natural glow" kind of foundations (instead of matte powders) don't expose these lines that way and as the foundation fades away with e.g. sweating, it becomes just less visible, no additional effects.
That's my another problem - I sweat rather a lot and most powders darken with it and start looking dirty; on hot days, the whole makeup can just melt away. That's where this minimalist approach, based on Korean tutorials, comes in.

I've just been enjoying myself researching BB creams and CC creams thanks to you! :heart: They look like they are exactly what I want! I can see a visit to a make-up counter with my daughter in the near future! :lol:

So everyone should prepare for me to look gorgeous soon with my BB or CC cream! hahaha!

The Bare Minerals powder is supposed to transform into liquid type coverage on the skin but does it heck! I've given up on it now I'm in my 50s. It was fine when I was younger because my oily skin loved the powder.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 9:10 pm

magz wrote:
Sportswear is not limited to leggins and snuggy vests :D

Examples of things from there I actually own and wear:

Those seem nice, but it would depend on the fabric composition. Synthetic fabrics are often advertised as being good for sports, and "moisture-wicking" therefore good if you are going to be sweating, but I find that they are not. I notice the difference even if there is some small percentage of polyester in a cotton t-shirt, and I can't wear it when it's very hot out.

magz wrote:
And now for somenthing completely different:
How do you feel about flax and short-sleeved buttoned shirts?

I like them, but... ironing? :)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 11:59 am

Well as it's been peeing down with rain all day and everything is annoying me, I ordered some BB cream from an online shop. I ordered the lightest colour so hopefully it's light enough for me, haha!

So I'll let you know how it goes!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2023, 8:36 am

So the BB cream arrived!

Positives:
1. It feels nice and was very easy to put on, although I might try using a brush next time, instead of my fingers. I'm wondering if it's got drugs in because I feel very happy now I'm wearing it :lol:

Negatives:
1. It is too dark because my skin is paper white with a rosy tinge and I bought this cream off the internet. I really need to go to a beauty counter and compare shades.
2. I have a few moles/warts on my face and the cream just coats them and makes them bigger and more prominent. Hence why I used to like powder when I was young- it didn't do that.

So, a mixed review!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 3:14 pm

Makeup makes me feel like I've got a dirty face.