Who do you support in the war in Ukraine
Russia 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Ukraine 100%  100%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 12

Patrick22348
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Sep 2023, 4:21 pm

The War in Ukraine has been going on for over a year. Anyone interested in this topic would probably have a lot to say about how Russia F'ed up its invasion. What do you guys think, please share any ideas on how the war should have been prosecuted by both sides. Please limit the answer to "war" related as opposed to political.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 4:22 pm

Who would support Russia, unless they were a Russian in the grip of Russian propaganda?

The Russians are invading an independent state, are the aggressors and deserve to be booted out of Ukraine.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 4:32 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Who would support Russia, unless they were a Russian in the grip of Russian propaganda?

The Russians are invading an independent state, are the aggressors and deserve to be booted out of Ukraine.

Let's not forget that 20 years ago, the US did the exact same thing in Iraq. Could that be why there are so many apologists for the Russian side in this war in today's US?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 4:36 pm

I don't think the US ever intended to permanently occupy Iraq, or to assimilate it into their territory.

But even so, I personally also thought the Iraq invasion was unjust.

At least the west invaded Iraq under the phoney pretext of finding "weapons of mass destruction."

Russia have brazenly announced, already, their imperialist ambitions, unapologetically.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 4:44 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
I don't think the US ever intended to permanently occupy Iraq, or to assimilate it into their territory.

At least the west invaded Iraq under the phoney pretext of finding "weapons of mass destruction."

Russia have brazenly announced, already, their imperialist ambitions, unapologetically.

Valid point that.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2023, 5:18 pm

MaxE wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Valid point that.

Thanks, MaxE.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2023, 11:55 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
MaxE wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Valid point that.

Thanks, MaxE.

Although I regret to add that, if one should happen to be a civilian caught up in the war, or a young woman with kids recently widowed because her husband died resisting the invasion, etc., the pretext won't much matter.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2023, 12:23 am

Why would I want to support a country whose president is basically the new Hitler and makes me afraid to sleep at night, and then hating that I woke up the next day?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Sep 2023, 11:13 am

I heard a few news stories & saw vid footage of Russian soldiers sharing boots & guns. In America(& most every other country) soldiers are given their own boots & guns. But in Russia soldiers have to chose either boots or guns :jester: Kinda hard to imagine thar Russia is doing even close to as much damage as they've been.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 2:34 pm

MaxE wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Let's not forget that 20 years ago, the US did the exact same thing in Iraq. Could that be why there are so many apologists for the Russian side in this war in today's US?

There are people who will try to create false equivalencies between the two conflicts, or otherwise attempt to spin things so that Russian imperialism is actually America's fault.

They're wrong.
They're liars.

Russian aggression is the fault of the Russian state and it's leadership.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Russia must be destroyed.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Sep 2023, 4:59 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
MaxE wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

There are people who will try to create false equivalencies between the two conflicts, or otherwise attempt to spin things so that Russian imperialism is actually America's fault.

They're wrong.
They're liars.

Russian aggression is the fault of the Russian state and it's leadership.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Russia must be destroyed.
I think there is valid reason to suspect that America was supporting the Russian state. Our last president was colluding with Russia to win election & secetely invited Russian dimplomats to the white house. Plus some of his supporters were not speaking out against the Russian war till after they quit being the party in charge & they suddently started blaming Biden & co.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 2:33 am

blitzkrieg wrote:

1. Foreigners who've fallen for russian propaganda. I know some Canadians that seem to have fallen for various BS stories spun by the kremlin. And then there are the Americans who are cheering for russia because their favoured politicians have decided russia is cool beans.. because they're swinging from trump's nuts and trump idolizes putin/owes the russian mob his high life seeing as they've been floating his bills for years.

2. Some Europeans, believe it or not. I spoke with a Serbian-Canadian man who backs russia on this war. Basically, he supports them going to war to reclaim their territory by force.. as has been the way of wars and expansion for generations. I think he's bonkers in his view, but, people like him with opinions like his exist.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 4:14 pm

I guess there will be a war with Canada and India soon. :(

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 4:34 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

1. Foreigners who've fallen for russian propaganda. I know some Canadians that seem to have fallen for various BS stories spun by the kremlin. And then there are the Americans who are cheering for russia because their favoured politicians have decided russia is cool beans.. because they're swinging from trump's nuts and trump idolizes putin/owes the russian mob his high life seeing as they've been floating his bills for years.

2. Some Europeans, believe it or not. I spoke with a Serbian-Canadian man who backs russia on this war. Basically, he supports them going to war to reclaim their territory by force.. as has been the way of wars and expansion for generations. I think he's bonkers in his view, but, people like him with opinions like his exist.

The Kremlin and their propaganda machine is rather effective. They used to have a channel on digital television services here in the UK, called 'Russia Today' or RT as it was/is known.

Literally every conceivable, regrettable action that Russia was responsible for, was turned upside down to make it as though it was the US's fault or the US's pesky NATO friends in Europe.

Russians probably have some of the best propaganda in the world, in terms of effectiveness and in terms of being believable.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 5:04 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I guess there will be a war with Canada and India soon. :(

Not.
Gonna.
Happen.

How would India and Canada actually go to war? Neither country is capable of invading the other, so all we're gonna do is rattle sabres until other interests force the two countries to make some sort of backdoor deal to reconcile.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 5:06 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
The Kremlin and their propaganda machine is rather effective. They used to have a channel on digital television services here in the UK, called 'Russia Today' or RT as it was/is known.

Literally every conceivable, regrettable action that Russia was responsible for, was turned upside down to make it as though it was the US's fault or the US's pesky NATO friends in Europe.

Russians probably have some of the best propaganda in the world, in terms of effectiveness and in terms of being believable.

It's not just RT, they also partner with different independent "journalists" to spread talking points. A portion of tankie types and a portion of alt-right types get paid to spread Russian propaganda points.