Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 11:46 am

babybird wrote:
I was prescribed risperidone years ago. I hated it.

What did you hate about it?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 11:49 am

Well it stopped me from feeling the affects of alcohol for one thing. It was like my head was too quiet all the time as well.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 12:01 pm

I'm dignosed schizo and am on olanzapine. Doesn't seem to help much though.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 12:03 pm

babybird wrote:
Well it stopped me from feeling the affects of alcohol for one thing. It was like my head was too quiet all the time as well.

Well, it is technically a tranquilising medication, and for some people, quieting their brain is a good thing. But I can see how it would be a bad thing, also.

I take the same drug for Tourette's Syndrome (unrelated to schizophrenia). I keep on a low dose so as not to totally wipe myself out with sleepiness.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 12:03 pm

Rossall wrote:
I'm dignosed schizo and am on olanzapine. Doesn't seem to help much though.

I'm sorry to hear of your lack of success with the medication, Rossall.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 12:30 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:

Well, it is technically a tranquilising medication, and for some people, quieting their brain is a good thing. But I can see how it would be a bad thing, also.

I take the same drug for Tourette's Syndrome (unrelated to schizophrenia). I keep on a low dose so as not to totally wipe myself out with sleepiness.

Its funny how one drug can be used for many things.

The doctor gave me one called Amitriptyline for my bad back. It's actually a tranquiliser. It did nothing for my back but it seemed to cure my over stimulated bladder and also I slept like a log for 2 weeks.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 1:44 pm

babybird wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:

Its funny how one drug can be used for many things.

The doctor gave me one called Amitriptyline for my bad back. It's actually a tranquiliser. It did nothing for my back but it seemed to cure my over stimulated bladder and also I slept like a log for 2 weeks.

I have heard of that one, yes. It's the tricyclic anti-depressant, one of the earlier developed ones before SSRI's came on the scene?

Interesting how it cured your over stimulated bladder. I have heard of imipramine, a similar drug, being used for bed-wetting in children. Maybe that is related somehow? :scratch:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2023, 2:16 pm

Maybe

strongstrange
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Nov 2023, 5:38 pm

I have also observed both diagnosed schizophrenia and autism in my immediate family, my father. I'm his only child with both the autistic traits and psychosis, thus far. More recently developed atypical anti-psychotics have been the fit for me--I had significant side effects on risperidone as well. I find treatment for psychosis difficult, so I understand struggles and unhappiness with how it proceeds. :( Leaves me feeling a lack of agency in my treatment at times, but I have stressed the need to have my autonomy respected to my current psychiatrist.