House lighting -- bright, dim, something else?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:24 am

I generally prefer it to be very bright for reading, quite bright for cooking (mainly to better slice ingredients and to check the food while cooking, and fairly dim the rest of the time.

That got me to wondering what it would be like to change your house lighting to use lights that are overall about like candles and then have something for brighter lights only where and when you need them.

If the bedroom was like they were candlelit, it might be quite comfortable for sleeping. I have read that sleeping with bright lights on is less restful because your body stays more aware of those lights and the room. I wonder how dim lights would compare.

I can imagine having a house in which the usual household lighting stay on at least all the time it is dark and maybe even 24 hours a day.

How does everyone else feel about household lighting?

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:28 am

kokopelli wrote:
I generally prefer it to be very bright for reading, quite bright for cooking (mainly to better slice ingredients and to check the food while cooking, and fairly dim the rest of the time.

That got me to wondering what it would be like to change your house lighting to use lights that are overall about like candles and then have something for brighter lights only where and when you need them.

If the bedroom was like they were candlelit, it might be quite comfortable for sleeping. I have read that sleeping with bright lights on is less restful because your body stays more aware of those lights and the room. I wonder how dim lights would compare.

I can imagine having a house in which the usual household lighting stay on at least all the time it is dark and maybe even 24 hours a day.

How does everyone else feel about household lighting?

It is true that sleeping with lights on negatively affects the quality of one's sleep.

Dim lights are often more relaxing and conducive to not being hyper alert which can be an effect of being under bright lights.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:39 am

I can't stand bright, overhead lights. I must have side lights e.g. standard lamps or uplighters and not have them glaringly bright.

I'm not sure if this is because I've always lived in England where it's generally pretty dark and dim, even the weather though. We are brought up being told 'don't put the big light on' because it costs more money :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:41 am

KitLily wrote:
I can't stand bright, overhead lights. I must have side lights e.g. standard lamps or uplighters and not have them glaringly bright.

I'm not sure if this is because I've always lived in England where it's generally pretty dark and dim, even the weather though. We are brought up being told 'don't put the big light on' because it costs more money :lol:

I am the exact same as you in this regard, KitLily.

I have to have side lights or uplighters to feel comfortable, also.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:45 am

I don't even like too bright sunlight tbh. I'm not accustomed to it.

I remember when I was little, we moved from the cold north east (Newcastle- yes my first words were in the Geordie dialect) to the warm south coast. Me and my mum had to wear sunglasses for a while because the sun was so bright!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:47 am

KitLily wrote:
I don't even like too bright sunlight tbh. I'm not accustomed to it.

I remember when I was little, we moved from the cold north east (Newcastle- yes my first words were in the Geordie dialect) to the warm south coast. Me and my mum had to wear sunglasses for a while because the sun was so bright!

I don't like bright sunshine either. I wear dark glasses everywhere, even indoors I wear tinted glasses.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:49 am

Yes I'm not a fan of lying on beaches and going on holiday to hot countries with constant sun. I like temperate climates.

Plus my skin is paper white and I have freckles, so I only burn in the sun, so why bother! :lol: Quite odd: my hair is nearly black but my skin is nearly white! :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:52 am

KitLily wrote:
Yes I'm not a fan of lying on beaches and going on holiday to hot countries with constant sun. I like temperate climates.

Plus my skin is paper white and I have freckles, so I only burn in the sun, so why bother! :lol: Quite odd: my hair is nearly black but my skin is nearly white! :lol:

Yep!

I used to have to go on holiday as a kid to hot countries, with my parents and I didn't like it at all, despite supposedly being 'lucky' to travel to countries with awful, high heat.

I am pale too. :)

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:53 am

I also generally want bright lines to eat. However, that is because I almost always read while I eat. I wouldn't know what to do without a book, magazine, or a laptop to read.

In another forum, someone once posted about when they were a kid and they went to stay at a friend's house for a sleepover. The writer said that everything was normal until it because time to eat. Everyone in that family sat down, pulled out a book to read, and ate. There was no conversation at all at the dining table. The writer said that every one of the kids went on to become highly accomplished professionals such as doctors and lawyers and professors.

There is a restaurant in a nearby town that has some of the best food around, but I absolutely detest the place. They turn down the lights so much that you would need to bring a headlight to read. That is obviously something that would make them upset because it doesn't fit in with their ambience.

There was a Japanese restaurant about half a mile down the street from that one that kept it really dark. Unlike the first one, which had no windows at all, the Japanese restaurant had windows on the north and south sides and shutters on the windows that could be opened. So when I would go in, I'd walk over to the booths along the south side and open the shutters so that I had enough light to read. Naturally, I didn't go there for supper.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:55 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Yep!

I used to have to go on holiday as a kid to hot countries, with my parents and I didn't like it at all, despite supposedly being 'lucky' to travel to countries with awful, high heat.

I am pale too. :)

Yes my parents insisted on driving down to the south of France every summer. It took soooo loooong and it was so hot. Awful.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:57 am

kokopelli wrote:
I also generally want bright lines to eat. However, that is because I almost always read while I eat. I wouldn't know what to do without a book, magazine, or a laptop to read.

In another forum, someone once posted about when they were a kid and they went to stay at a friend's house for a sleepover. The writer said that everything was normal until it because time to eat. Everyone in that family sat down, pulled out a book to read, and ate. There was no conversation at all at the dining table. The writer said that every one of the kids went on to become highly accomplished professionals such as doctors and lawyers and professors.

Oh yes I like to see what I'm eating.

That seems extremely bad manners for people to sit together eating, not talking but reading instead. And very bad for the digestion. Meal times are times for families to reconnect, talk about their day, discuss subjects. Until recently that would never happen in England.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:58 am

I usually just have a table lamp on in the room where I am sitting, so it's fairly dim. I leave a lamp on in the next room as well, because I feel less isolated that way. But if I have a task I need to do I like to have good lighting so I can see, especially since my eyesight has gotten worse.

I don't mind the bright sun and even like it. It's very hot much of the time where I live, and very sunny, and it lifts my mood to go out biking in the bright sunlight. The sun only bothers me if I have been up most of the night, then it can really feel uncomfortable to go out into the bright sun.

I can understand not wanting to subject yourself to that if you have very light skin and would risk a sunburn. But pale skin and dark hair sounds like a pretty combination!

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 6:59 am

KitLily wrote:

About five years ago, I started to have trouble with sunburning my eyes when out in the mid day sun. I had to start wearing a cowboy hat again (I wore one regularly until I was about 25 and then went 40 years rarely wearing one) to keep the sun out of my eyes. Baseball caps helped a bit, but not enough.

The current fashion for cowboy hats is to have the brim turned up on the sides. That doesn't work for me. My hats are relatively flat and give better protection from the sun.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 7:05 am

KitLily wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

Oh yes I like to see what I'm eating.

That seems extremely bad manners for people to sit together eating, not talking but reading instead. And very bad for the digestion. Meal times are times for families to reconnect, talk about their day, discuss subjects. Until recently that would never happen in England.

One thing I do is eat very slowly. One time my niece was here as well as a few others on my birthday. We started eating at the same time. When she finished, she ran off to run some errands that she had to run that day. When she got back something like 45 minutes later, I was just finishing eating when she returned. Then it was time for birthday cake.

I probably would have finished faster if they had let me read while I ate.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 7:14 am

kokopelli wrote:
One thing I do is eat very slowly. One time my niece was here as well as a few others on my birthday. We started eating at the same time. When she finished, she ran off to run some errands that she had to run that day. When she got back something like 45 minutes later, I was just finishing eating when she returned. Then it was time for birthday cake.

Oh I think I'm the opposite. If I read while eating it takes me ages, if I don't read, I focus on the food and get it polished off very quickly.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2023, 7:25 am

KitLily wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

Oh I think I'm the opposite. If I read while eating it takes me ages, if I don't read, I focus on the food and get it polished off very quickly.

My longest meal ever lasted about three hours. It was in a college cafeteria and I arrived about 11:30 am shortly after they opened for the meal. Every time I got ready to get up and leave, someone else would walk in and sit down and I'd stay and talk to them. The last one was a girl named Suzie and we left when they closed at 2:30 pm.

Last edited by kokopelli on 20 Sep 2023, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.