House lighting -- bright, dim, something else?

Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 6:47 pm

I don't like over head lights. I'm glad that my house is old and the only over head light I have here is the one in my kitchen. The rest are wall fixtures I had a friend put in for me when I moved in. I use those in the evening. I tend to shun artificial lights in general and prefer natural sunlight. My house has vines on the outside, so I do have some privacy and the incoming daylight isn't too much for me. One thing I will say, I dislike the newer led type lights or whatever they are now. I liked the old style light bulbs better because they aren't so hard on my eyes/head. I'm not overly light sensitive or anything though and it seems I need more light as I age and my vision gets progressively crappier.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 7:01 pm

KitLily wrote:
Yes, there is evidence to show that the more light humans sleep with, the less their brains get to rest and recharge. It's only recently that we've had lights on at night e.g. streetlamps. Probably 200 years or so? Before then it was dark at night apart from the moon and stars. We need the dark to recharge.

KitLily, our science museum had a display of how to reduce light pollution. It was quite compelling. My elemetary-school aged kids were convinced. The display said that bright (glaring) lights can increase crimes.

Here's a visual of options:

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 7:05 pm

I completely agree with OP. My allistic husband is constantly trying to turn lights on for me b/c of his concern that I can't see and am damaging my eyes. Ummm, I'm very comfortable, thank you. He is hyposensitive and has put in nasty bright lights wherever he can. I installed a dimmer in the living room and over the kitchen table. So far I've managed the others (not using them much, or averting my eyes).

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 7:25 pm

I turned off all the outdoor lighting. Saves on the electric bill!