Using metaphors and analogies as tools to communicate

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Sep 2023, 9:12 am

Hello.
I'm just wondering something. Trying to communicate a lot of things, particularly my thoughts and feelings about things takes a huge amount of effort and difficulty and is extremely draining. I use writing a lot as a tool to help me communicate a lot of the time, as although this is still draining, i do this far, far better and easier than i can verbally. I am sure people can relate to this in some way at least.
I am wondering though can anyone else here relate to heavily using analogies, similies and metaphors when trying to communicate things, particularly or maybe specifically when it comes to their thoughts and feelings about things? (as opposed to more concrete everyday practical matters)

Pagliaccio
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Sep 2023, 10:06 am

Yes. I prefer writing but I'm OK with speaking, just nowhere near as eloquent. Either way I use metaphors, similes, irony, figures of speech and quotation a lot, probably more than most NT's. Apparently we're not supposed to be good at such things according to the qualified ones who know better than us.

No idea why idea why I do, but when NT's do it nobody asks why, so when autistics do it why is it so different?

I look around today and notice most people use these things less than in the past. Communication preferences have changed, and education levels. The autistics I have come accross tend to be more literate than average.