Should we end under age-18 tackle football because of brain

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 10:18 am

This is former NFL star Brett Favre speaking in favor of “Flag Football Under 14,” from about two years ago. And that age 14 dividing line did seem to get some attention for a while, don’t know about today.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 10:32 am

And about STEM . . .

I tried to go into C++ programming in 1999 at age 36. And also in 2000.

And what I found was a flooded job market with pervasive age discrimination. The whole field seems to be the rock star and serf model. They seem to be looking for young hot shots willing and in fact eager to work 70+ hours a week. If you’re older, you’re viewed as something like damaged goods.

PS For those in the field, I got as far as “pointers” and “object slicing.” I think I did a lot of things right.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 10:38 am

Fnord wrote:
MuddRM wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Besides, you are not an artsy-fartsy type; you are a quant -- the epitome of a STEM worker.
Bullsh!t!

Then why in the hell did I burn out and was fired for being what you call a quant?
Hey, chill out! Don't blame me for the choices you made, and don't blame me for your failures.

AHAA... The perfect Scapegoat ..... :heart: ..lolzz ..teasing whether you like it or not :D
And most important , If all the money as a nation for football and professional football Use for more correct things .Not only would the IQ of the players possibly be increased as they age . Not to mention, If this vast amount of money was put into proper versions of education. , The unemployment rate would very possibly go down, The reduction of concepts by violent stimulation, By beating peoples heads about used by tackle football .. Might favourably affect the population at large, Then all those FOOTBALL. parties, might not happen ? And people "drunk driving" trying to get home after the party is over ? Perhaps less harm in the world .
( but I guess even Rome had its Gladiator events) :roll:

where ever you go ,there you are

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

11 Oct 2023, 7:10 am

Fnord wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I never thought I would be defending sports but... Athletics can potentially be very beneficial for kids.
Sure, if those kids are of the more-brawn-than-brain types whose brain damage might go unnoticed for a few decades.

For the rest of us -- the ones for whom STEM courses capture and hold our interest for the rest of out lives -- sports are of no benefit, but are only sources of humiliation, pain, and terror when we are forced to participate. And I am VERY happy to have not ever played any sport well enough to endure a head injury that would have attenuated my ability to observe and understand the universe.
At least those jobs cant be outsourced to people living on the other side of the planet. Most tech support is done at call centers in India & most cellphones & computers are made in China a bit of which are designed in Japan. Job security is very rare in the US these days.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2023, 4:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
nick007 wrote:
I never thought I would be defending sports but... Athletics can potentially be very beneficial for kids.
Sure, if those kids are of the more-brawn-than-brain types whose brain damage might go unnoticed for a few decades.

For the rest of us -- the ones for whom STEM courses capture and hold our interest for the rest of out lives -- sports are of no benefit, but are only sources of humiliation, pain, and terror when we are forced to participate. And I am VERY happy to have not ever played any sport well enough to endure a head injury that would have attenuated my ability to observe and understand the universe.

Don't project your bad experiences with sports onto everyone. :roll:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2023, 4:43 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Is the brain damage necessarily immediate from heading a ball for example? I thought it just increased the risk, statistically, of neurodegenerative diseases like dementia or Alzheimer's?

If that were the case, the damage wouldn't be noticed, because it would only manifest at a later point?

The brain damage from heading the ball is probably similar to sled head, a result of the cumulative effects of the blows.

That said, sled head is a big deal in the sliding sports (luge, bobsled, skeleton).

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2023, 4:45 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
And about STEM . . .

I tried to go into C++ programming in 1999 at age 36. And also in 2000.

And what I found was a flooded job market with pervasive age discrimination. The whole field seems to be the rock star and serf model. They seem to be looking for young hot shots willing and in fact eager to work 70+ hours a week. If you’re older, you’re viewed as something like damaged goods.

PS For those in the field, I got as far as “pointers” and “object slicing.” I think I did a lot of things right.

You're being too reasonable for some posters. Some posters like to assume a STEM career is the only viable solution for anyone without considering that not everyone (or even everyone autist) is well suited for working in those fields.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2023, 7:39 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Some posters like to assume a STEM career is the only viable solution for anyone without considering that not everyone (or even everyone autist) is well suited for working in those fields.
For those who can hack the discipline, the intense study, and the reason-focused workload, STEM is the way to go.

For the rest, HAAS was invented.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.