Is Vaping Worse Than Smoking Cigarettes?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2023, 6:02 pm

Which is the worse out of the two, or are they equally as bad?

Sources & opinions?

My personal experience is that vaping makes me cough whilst I can smoke a regular strength cigarette without much effort. Vaping subjectively feels more toxic to me, personally.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:33 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Which is the worse out of the two, or are they equally as bad?

Sources & opinions?

My personal experience is that vaping makes me cough whilst I can smoke a regular strength cigarette without much effort. Vaping subjectively feels more toxic to me, personally.

I dont know which one is worse nobody knows yet.It will still be time before we find out.I smoke a cigar a year for my birthday but other than that I dont smoke.

Even Altria has admitted that cigarettes will be a thing of the past at some point.I think cigarettes will be around for much longer in the third world than in America because of the severe lack of regulations and taxes.I heard on the news that the tobacco companies may be putting much more nicotine in the vapes.Altria bought JUUL and got in so much legal trouble for getting another generation hooked on nicotine.I would guess smoking is worse but I really dont know.I have heard vaping has arcensic and lead in it so I dont know.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:48 am

No it's better than smoking cigerrets but likely not harm free, and the idea was never to make it totally safe it is harm reduction like vaping is probably still harmful, but may not be as harmful as smoking cigerettes. Idk my boyfriend was smoking two packs of cigerettes a day and with salt nicotine.....uhh he hasn't smoked cigerettes regularly for quite a while he will get a pack on rare occasions but that is it. I pushed him to stop smoking cause mostly I was worried for his health but also especially when I started switching to vaping I noticed the cigarette stink a lot more too and it would kind of get to me. But for sure he even said smoking that much made him feel sick so yeah I encouraged him to try vaping instead and now he mostly vapes with only getting a pack of cigarettes once or twice a year.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 2:18 am

For those wanting to vape there are nicotine and smoke free options
https://tryfum.com/

Apparently its addictive but 100% safe and as a bonus can freshen your breath

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 2:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
For those wanting to vape there are nicotine and smoke free options
https://tryfum.com/

Apparently its addictive but 100% safe and as a bonus can freshen your breath

That seems cool but damn 107 bucks is a lot to spend on something I am not sure about. Still seems cool as the hardest part of giving up nicotine is the smoking of it, so idk if I got a satisfying smoke for something else perhaps that would help with also giving up the nicotine vape....stopped cigarettes but I still vape nicotine.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 12:25 pm

I started vaping to quit smoking cigarettes. It worked, and I've been tapering the nicotine levels down for just over a year now. The goal is to get to zero percent nicotine in the vape thing. The only thing I've noticed is how I'm always thirsty now, my lips are dryer and if I don't use a lip balm thing, they will crack and peel. I do wonder how this choice will impact me long term though. I hope the vape things aren't super bad for you in the long run. I just don't know, but it seems (as of now anyway) a better choice for me than the cigarettes were.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 1:58 pm

Thank you for the replies, everyone. :)

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 2:14 pm

I don't smoke or vape. However, I am asthmatic and one of my main triggers for an attack is second-hand cigarette smoke. Cigars are far worse. Although cigarettes are still quite bad.

Vaping, while annoying (often such sickly sweet smells), does not trigger my asthma. If someone blows a vape cloud in my face I'll be annoyed but I won't be coughing and taking my inhaler. Unlike when some jerk decided to do so with cigarette smoke when I was walking to the cinema.

So I would much rather people vape than smoke. I can't control that though. I wish I wasn't so affected by smoke. It makes going places a bit of a nightmare.

Ian Mac
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Nov 2023, 4:23 pm

I've always heard that nicotine, although being very addictive, is in itself, fairly harmless and, in a vape, is only mixed with water vapour whereas the damage caused by smoking is because of the very unpleasant chemicals released by burning tobacco. Where I live a lot of younger people are vaping daily and are just as addicted as older smokers. Trying to ban vapes would only cause smuggling and a black market so it seems that the human race is carrying on it's ancient relationship with nicotine, hopefully in a safer way. Only time will tell.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 5:28 pm

I don't smoke. But my gut feeling is that it probably will come out in the future that tobacco is safer than vaping.

Put it this way. A damp oily substance is not going to do ones lungs as well as a dried plant based substance when inhaled in the form of a smoke.

But I have never tried either and it is a gut feeling. Information regarding smoking tobacco has been around for many years but it has hardly been out for long in regards to vaping. Vaping is still in thee unknown catagory, so this is another reason why I would (If I smoked) be hesitant to vape. BUT I don't smoke so I am going by gut feelings...

Onething I would avoid is chewing gum as it has recently been discoverd as cancerous. It may be that missing unknown link in why some smokers live very long relitively active healthy lives and others don't, as smokers are more likely to chew gum than non-smokers. But yet again it is a gut feeling rather than a definate statement.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Nov 2023, 7:47 pm

I think it depends on the person
Vapes were intended to be used as a smoking cessation device, although there is an alarming number of non smokers and even children who are using such devices.
Inhaling manufactured chemicals, no matter the method, is always a risky activity when it comes to health.
While vapes may turn out to be the lesser of two evils, the fact that it is trendy and appealing to children means that it poses a greater risk to vulnerable people.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 8:15 pm

Lost_dragon wrote:
I don't smoke or vape. However, I am asthmatic and one of my main triggers for an attack is second-hand cigarette smoke. Cigars are far worse. Although cigarettes are still quite bad.

Vaping, while annoying (often such sickly sweet smells), does not trigger my asthma. If someone blows a vape cloud in my face I'll be annoyed but I won't be coughing and taking my inhaler. Unlike when some jerk decided to do so with cigarette smoke when I was walking to the cinema.

So I would much rather people vape than smoke. I can't control that though. I wish I wasn't so affected by smoke. It makes going places a bit of a nightmare.

The same here. It would take a LOT of vape steam to give me a problem, but someone smoking four metres away at the bus stop can start my lungs tickling. For several years before 2020, I was avoiding going to see my parents because with my worsening asthma and their insistence on non-stop smoking, a visit was likely to land me in hospital. (They've since been forced to give up - the state of her lungs was a factor in a complicated medical emergency that nearly killed my mum this time last year.)

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 4:16 am

I tried vaping once the other week and it burnt my throat out so never again. I don't smoke cigarettes anymore so I don't need a substitute.

My daughter vapes to cut down cigarettes but she's on it constantly puffing away like a steam engine.

I think there are pros and cons with both. I'd like to hope vaping is the safer option of the two though but who knows.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 7:50 am

babybird wrote:
I tried vaping once the other week and it burnt my throat out so never again. I don't smoke cigarettes anymore so I don't need a substitute.

My daughter vapes to cut down cigarettes but she's on it constantly puffing away like a steam engine.

I think there are pros and cons with both. I'd like to hope vaping is the safer option of the two though but who knows.

There is conflicting evidence on whether vaping is better or worse than smoking, although vaping seems to be perceived by most as the safer out of the two.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 7:56 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
babybird wrote:

There is conflicting evidence on whether vaping is better or worse than smoking, although vaping seems to be perceived by most as the safer out of the two.

Some countries have banned vaping but do allow smoking.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 8:02 am

blitzkrieg wrote:

The jury is still out about the harms of vaping, it will probably be found to be carcinogenic one day.

Here are 5 truths from John Hopkins

1. Vaping is less harmful than smoking, but it’s still not safe.
2. Research suggests vaping is bad for your heart and lungs.
3. Electronic cigarettes are just as addictive as traditional ones.
4. Electronic cigarettes aren’t the best smoking cessation tool.
5. A new generation is getting hooked on nicotine.

5-truths-you-need-to-know-about-vaping