Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Missmagoo
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Sep 2023, 11:52 am

Hi all! I tried several times as it is supposed to calm your mind. Vipassana style. Honestly? I can’t stand it. I prefer to calm my mind running or cycling. What do you think?

bubbleoffplumb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Sep 2023, 3:40 pm

I am not an expert - but I would like to share this information on meditation.

There are benefits to both physical exercise and meditation. It takes time before one will feel the benefits of meditation. In my opinion, meditation is worth the effort of regular practice. It is an evidence-based practice.

There are studies out there that suggest about 8 weeks into a meditation practice (approx. 13 mins/daily) is about when you’ll feel benefits. It will work, but it takes a bit of time. My personal experience is that 5 minutes a day provides benefits. 5 minutes of daily practice is easy to commit to. (If 5 is too difficult, start with 2 minutes.)

Vipassana, a subjective style of meditation, can be very broad and a difficult place to start. If one is not used to sitting (or laying down) with only one’s thoughts, feelings and physical sensations - without judgement, it can be difficult. As simple as the “rules” are, it is not as easy to do.

Objective styles of meditation -I call it using an anchor - may be a better place to start. In objective practice, you use an object to bring your awareness back. Use a sound (white noise works), mantra, breath or guided meditation. It is a narrower focus, training to shift awareness - away from the usual scramble that goes on in your mind/body, and back to your anchor.

The difference is in the shift of awareness from these thoughts/emotions/physical sensations. In objective meditation one shifts to a narrow focus - the anchor, while subjective meditation the shift is to a much broader - here/now.

If you have been trying a subjective style of meditation without success, try using an anchor. The narrower focus may be easier to start with.

Any meditation practice is beneficial. But it will take time before your overall stress/anxiety levels are effected.

remember: One is not trying to stop thoughts. Rather, pulling back from the thought/feeling/sensation- acknowledging them, not entertaining them.

adding
about guided meditations (audio).
Not my first choice for an anchor, but these can be helpful when one has too much of what I call a “monkey mind”. Too many thoughts/emotions/sensations make it difficult to relax and focus. There are many free.
-some guided meditations use imagery - these can difficult for some -as can many guided breath meditations. When the narrator describes things differently than one is envisioning or doing, it can be distracting and stressful. That isn’t beneficial. It’s a good idea to “preview” guided meditations before using them.

As mentioned before - I am not an expert - but I am passionate about this subject, and have some knowledge about it. I hope the information above helps some get started in a meditation practice, or become curious enough to research it further.

—————————————
ETA
for something more immediate -
•physical exercise can be a helpful tool to calm the mind/body

•practice extended exhalation breathing - effects the parasympathetic nervous system.

Breathe deeply into your lower abdomen (about 4 seconds)
then exhale slowly (about 8 seconds).

>> This should feel comfortable and not strained. <<

•other mind/body tools for calming - remember to practice before you need to use the tool.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2023, 7:24 pm

Meditation has never done much for me either. It's not that I can't stand it, I generally get more benefit from other things is all. I'm also the sort that finds more calm and connect from engaging my body...things like running and body weight exercises do so much more for my overall mental health to.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Oct 2023, 2:04 am

meditation is not for everyone, but it does offer another avenue for people who cannot find peace in other activities.

i think it's great that you are able to calm your mind during physical activity, physical activity has a range of health benefits and if you are able to clear the mental clutter while doing so, then all round it seems to be a good alternative for someone who cannot get into meditation.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 3:24 am

I'm not sure why I don't meditate because I find that it actually helps, even in the moment if I'm feeling stressed, and I have only limited experience with it. I just close my eyes and focus on (pay attention to) my breathing and nothing else. If a thought drifts into my mind, as it will do, I go back to focusing on my breathing. When I am not thinking about anything else I notice all the sounds around me, like the hum of the freeway that I normally can't hear at all. I also notice if I am in a slightly uncomfortable position, like if my foot is at a weird angle. It just makes me much more aware. I think that if I did it more and got better at it I would have fewer thoughts interrupting my attempt at meditation.

I did have a bad experience once, though, when I had somewhat successfully cleared my mind and I was hit with a wave of grief over the death of my boyfriend that really shook me.

I have chronic fatigue so exercise is not an option for me. I got out almost daily on short and very slow bike rides and I do like being out in the fresh air and sunshine, and my neighborhood has a lot of trees and is pretty, so it somewhat lifts my spirits but it definitely doesn't clear my mind, and sometimes makes my ruminations worse.

Bestiola
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Oct 2023, 1:55 pm

it's good for nothing, it just amplifies whatever is inside you.

david_tay
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Oct 2023, 12:05 am

Meditation really helps because it calms your mind when you need for peace. But sometimes it's hard when a lot are going in your life, but you should really take time to meditate, there's a lot of way to do that.