Anyone Here Have a Special Interest in Music Produciton?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Aurura_b
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

24 Sep 2023, 6:24 pm

My hugest interest is in music composition (I use a DAW called Cakewalk, a free software, to create my music with).
But I'm terrible at making my tracks sound as clear as they should, blending them together as they should be, panning them evenly and mixing them down.

I can't afford a SkillShare account, I've already tried WikiHow (whose info is not detailed).

I've watched *many* Cakewalk YouTube videos on how to use the program effectively, but their topics focus on the mechanics and their features (as they should), not how to properly mix and finalize music projects specifically.

All that aside, I just figured I'd try sending out an S.O.S. here, if anyone is keenly interested in music production and wouldn't mind trying to help me, please let me know! Send me a direct message! :help:
Thanks so much.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2023, 11:44 pm

I might be able to take a listen and let you know where I think things are separating. Of course that depends on how humble you're being.

Mastering is really hard. I've been a really big fan since I was 18 of underground electronic (particularly drum n bass, techno, trance, etc.) and I've heard some really good producers like dBridge (Darren White) and John '00' Fleming talk about how abusive the process ends up being and I think dBridge mentioned at one point that only one in ten tunes made the cutting floor. For as much time as I've had with producing I still don't trust my grasp on drum compression, mixing as well can be a real challenge without having some three way combination of studio monitors, headphones, a tiny boombox, and then listening to it in your car to see what holds up and what sounds good on headphones or on monitors but sounds weak, over-resonant, or falls out completely on a small radio or phone. Even doing all of that when I make music - I still don't really trust that I've nailed a professional mix standard (sounding good vs. professional grade and warmed up through expensive tube compressors / limiters).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

DH Rider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Oct 2023, 10:40 pm

Aurura_b wrote:
My hugest interest is in music composition (I use a DAW called Cakewalk, a free software, to create my music with).
But I'm terrible at making my tracks sound as clear as they should, blending them together as they should be, panning them evenly and mixing them down.

I can't afford a SkillShare account, I've already tried WikiHow (whose info is not detailed).

I've watched *many* Cakewalk YouTube videos on how to use the program effectively, but their topics focus on the mechanics and their features (as they should), not how to properly mix and finalize music projects specifically.

All that aside, I just figured I'd try sending out an S.O.S. here, if anyone is keenly interested in music production and wouldn't mind trying to help me, please let me know! Send me a direct message! :help:
Thanks so much.

I’ve been doing home composing, recording and production since around 2001. I originally just needed a way to record song ideas, but once I got a taste of what was possible, stubborn ol’ me refused to give up on learning how to make professional sounding music in a home studio.

The good news is you no longer need expensive equipment or a great room to make good sounding recordings. The bad news is it is a DEEP rabbit hole to go down and requires a lot of patience to develop the skills, as you likely have already discovered.

But I’ve gotten pretty good at by now despite myself. I’d be happy to help if I can.

c.yaggason
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

11 Oct 2023, 6:30 pm

hello! i found this thread in a search here for my interests... so yeah..
I have made electronic music for almost 30 years and used to record some local indie bands ages ago...all as a hobby.
TONS more information and resources have cropped up online in recent years, i have actually learned more in the past 4 years than
all the others combined.
youtube has lots of good stuff.
here's a few good podcasts..

im new here so i cannot post direct links i guess.. sorry!

hanging out with audiophiles... hangingoutwithaudiophiles dot libsyn dot com
the mastering show... themasteringshow dot com
working class audio podcast... workingclassaudio dot com
also...
there is a fun/funny video on youtube about mixing from 1990 called "the art of mixing, David Gibson"
that is cheezy 90s californian fun with alot of legit good info