does not retailiting make me a pushover?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 12:39 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
One of my friends uses the term "petticoat tyranny" to describe the way they do things like tell us to get them a glass of Pepsi when they're sitting on the coach. If I want a glass of Pepsi, I have to get it myself. Why does she have to have someone bring it to her?

Or if we're upstairs, she wants me to go downstairs and get her phone for her. If we're downstairs, she wants me to go upstairs and get her phone for her. If I leave my phone upstairs, I have to get it myself.

And why is it that every time she walks upstairs/downstairs, she doesn't take her phone with her? Even when she's wearing pants with pockets? Like, she'll be using her phone (she's almost always using her phone) and then decide she wants to go downstairs so she'll put her phone on the table, walk downstairs and then be surprised that she doesn't have her phone with her. Her pants have pockets, why doesn't she use them?

Speaking of the Giving Tree, a while ago she was saying she wants me to give her my salary so she can give me an allowance out of it. My reaction to this suggestion involved a lot of four letter words and a lot of seven letter words that end with -ing.

But she kept on asking after I'd already told her no.

So now she's downgraded it she just wants to "manage our income" so we can have more savings. She says I buy too many small things (electronics, etc) and if we saved more, we could buy big things. The trouble is the big things are always things that she wants. I think "big things" is a nice way for her to say, "my things" and that "you need to save more" is a nice way of saying "you need to save more and then spend it on me".

Well anyway this manipulative 慈禧 is now going to refuse to put any money into my offset account until I meet her financial demands. She knows that if she doesn't put fifty thousand or so dollars into the offset account it will take me an extra 6 or 7 years to pay off the mortgage.

Why are you still with her? She sounds utterly horrible, manipulative and bone idle.

Honestly, if someone wants your entire income then that's probably the biggest red flag you could ever have. She has more red flags than a soviet parade.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 12:49 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
One of my friends uses the term "petticoat tyranny" to describe the way they do things like tell us to get them a glass of Pepsi when they're sitting on the coach. If I want a glass of Pepsi, I have to get it myself. Why does she have to have someone bring it to her?

Or if we're upstairs, she wants me to go downstairs and get her phone for her. If we're downstairs, she wants me to go upstairs and get her phone for her. If I leave my phone upstairs, I have to get it myself.

And why is it that every time she walks upstairs/downstairs, she doesn't take her phone with her? Even when she's wearing pants with pockets? Like, she'll be using her phone (she's almost always using her phone) and then decide she wants to go downstairs so she'll put her phone on the table, walk downstairs and then be surprised that she doesn't have her phone with her. Her pants have pockets, why doesn't she use them?

Speaking of the Giving Tree, a while ago she was saying she wants me to give her my salary so she can give me an allowance out of it. My reaction to this suggestion involved a lot of four letter words and a lot of seven letter words that end with -ing.

But she kept on asking after I'd already told her no.

So now she's downgraded it she just wants to "manage our income" so we can have more savings. She says I buy too many small things (electronics, etc) and if we saved more, we could buy big things. The trouble is the big things are always things that she wants. I think "big things" is a nice way for her to say, "my things" and that "you need to save more" is a nice way of saying "you need to save more and then spend it on me".

Well anyway this manipulative 慈禧 is now going to refuse to put any money into my offset account until I meet her financial demands. She knows that if she doesn't put fifty thousand or so dollars into the offset account it will take me an extra 6 or 7 years to pay off the mortgage.

Would you rather have X years of near zero disposable income while she spends your money on her things in order to be mortgage free sooner, or have disposable income every month and make mortgage payments for 7 years longer? If you're happier having some disposable income all the time and waiting another 7 years until you're mortgage free and have More disposable income to spend/invest, then whatever, just roll with her not putting the $50k in the account.. and then be extra petty and ask her if she's okay with her mother knowing they're 7 years late paying off their mortgage -> hope it doesn't bring her great shame.. :twisted: lol might motivate her to pull her weight and pay into it as agreed. ;)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 12:52 pm

In a relationship, each person gives the other what they need or want (within reason of course.)

It's your job, so to speak, to do things with consideration for her feelings and her happiness.
It's her job, so to speak, to do the same for you.

If it's become lopsided this needs to be addressed openly or in couples' counselling.

Giving in and doing more for her won't fix it.