What are the reasons for being single long term?

Page 7 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2023, 9:52 pm

I'm aromantic and don't want to date.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2023, 6:50 am

TwilightPrincess wrote:
People who are constantly negative AND dismissive of other people's problems or struggles (such as by saying women have it easier) would be a huge turn-off for me and most women.

There's a difference between "women have it easier" and "women have it easy."

There's also a really important difference between a general opinion - "women (on average) have it easier"- and an absolute -"women never have problems or struggles."

funeralxempire wrote:
Going through a bad breakup hurts more than being single for an extended period.

Some breakups are certainly worse than others - cheating, abuse, fighting - but I would call those ugly or nasty breakups rather than "bad" breakups. Bad breakups implies there are "good" breakups.

Even the best possible breakup I can imagine - mutually parting on good terms and remaining friends - is simply depressing in a different way.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 6:57 am

Weight Of Memory wrote:
TwilightPrincess wrote:
People who are constantly negative AND dismissive of other people's problems or struggles (such as by saying women have it easier) would be a huge turn-off for me and most women.

There's a difference between "women have it easier" and "women have it easy."
I'll agree that there's a difference between those statements, but I don't think that either of them are true.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 7:49 am

Weight Of Memory wrote:
Even the best possible breakup I can imagine - mutually parting on good terms and remaining friends - is simply depressing in a different way.

I don't think it's possible to remain friends with an ex. It's like getting stuck in the past. Move on, find different friends and lovers. I think that is healthier.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 11:24 am

For me, it was the mental health problems that i have like anxiety, depression prevented me from having a relationship.

I don't know what is the reason for other people.

WisteriaRose
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2023, 2:35 pm

I’m extremely shy.

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 5:01 pm

yup, this article right here reminds me how i have over the years, hated being born the male gender:

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-con ... g-so-what/

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 5:50 pm

WantToHaveALife wrote:
yup, this article right here reminds me how i have over the years, hated being born the male gender:

https://goodmenproject.com/featured-con ... g-so-what/
Check this article out:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64953941

Quote:
One 2022 study, an online survey that spoke to 225 people, suggests that nearly nine in 10 autistic women have been victims of "sexual violence". The researchers add: "Two thirds of the victims were very young when they were first assaulted."

Yeah, being a female has been great. :roll:

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2023, 7:03 am

KitLily wrote:
I don't think it's possible to remain friends with an ex. It's like getting stuck in the past. Move on, find different friends and lovers. I think that is healthier.

If they're in a separate social orbit that's relatively easy. If your ex is integrated into your social circle that could be almost impossible without ditching all your friends.

I've got the added difficulty that the Venn diagram of "women I'd date" and "women I'd be friends with" is almost a circle.

Of the five closest friends I've had in my life, four are women, all of whom I dated or attempted to date. If I hadn't remained friends with them my life would be even more lonely.

My longest relationship we did not remain friends, but since it was long-distance that was relatively easy. And the reason we didn't remain friends was mostly because I was disappointed with her life choices after we broke up.

Uri
Raven
Raven

21 Oct 2023, 10:45 am

Although I'm not an expert on human mate and sexual selection, I think human biology can at least partially explain why some men can't get a girlfriend or sex.

If evolution is true and humans really evolved like the other animals of the animal kingdom then this can explain why women will always go after the most handsome and strongest guys while ignoring the less handsome and weaker guys.
Evolution also explains why men will also do the same to women too.

It's always about trying to get the best genes possible.

Read the book Sexual Selections: What We Can and Can’t Learn about Sex from Animals

Also see the book Sexual Selection Under Parental Choice: The Evolution of Human Mating Behavior

It's on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=human+sexual ... nb_sb_noss

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 8:53 pm

Uri wrote:
Although I'm not an expert on human mate and sexual selection, I think human biology can at least partially explain why some men can't get a girlfriend or sex.

If evolution is true and humans really evolved like the other animals of the animal kingdom then this can explain why women will always go after the most handsome and strongest guys while ignoring the less handsome and weaker guys.
Evolution also explains why men will also do the same to women too.

It's always about trying to get the best genes possible.

Read the book Sexual Selections: What We Can and Can’t Learn about Sex from Animals

Also see the book Sexual Selection Under Parental Choice: The Evolution of Human Mating Behavior

It's on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=human+sexual ... nb_sb_noss

ya thats why it seems far more men in the world struggle to get a girlfriend than the amount of women who struggle to get a boyfriend.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 9:01 pm

But that doesn't make any sense

I am average-looking and so is my boyfriend

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 9:04 pm

Not getting out and about socially as an autistic person has to contribute to a lot of autistic folk having difficulty obtaining a partner (should they want one) - surely?

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 9:07 pm

Yes that is the main reason

WantToHaveALife
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 10:08 pm

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
But that doesn't make any sense

I am average-looking and so is my boyfriend

i assume he was the one who asked you out, pursued you and started talking to you first.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 10:26 pm

That is correct @WantToHaveALife