Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2023, 7:24 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
magz wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
I find it odd that people would lie about themselves on a forum. What could a person gain from that?

Unless they were trying to get money out of someone, or trying to con someone in some way?

People often fantasize to boost their egos and/or to minimize their faults and weaknesses - the latter is often unconcious.
Selective choosing of how much truth you reveal about yourself is not even fantasising - it's a reasonable safety measure. Today even small children are trained at early education (at least here in Poland) never to reveal their true names or home adress to strangers online.

I am sorry to ask here in this thread but, err your polish government has horrible abortion laws and such, do you have any thoughts on the band Behemoth from poland that through their music and art imply they are not fond of the polish government. Idk seems like they keep evading any charges they get which are mostly for blasphemy so idk you're a polish person who posts here so just wondering if you are aware of behemoth or what you think of them.

viewtopic.php?t=416534

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 9:14 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Also, I would say the "selective choosing of how much truth you reveal about yourself" is, like you say a reasonable safety measure. I wouldn't consider that to be lying either. Omitting details of ones life isn't the same as fabricating false details (which would be considered lying).

thanks for saying that! It would be madness to reveal my real name and address etc. online these days.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 9:31 am

Of course! I really wasn't making a commentary about WP at all. The point of a forum is for us to have anonymous names and we're advised to guard our personal information for safety reasons. I wouldn't expect to know anyone's real name or location, or even their specific job, unless the friendship was extremely advanced. Even then it's not necessary in most cases. I don't even care what gender anyone is here, because for all I know people can select the wrong gender as a way to safeguard their privacy. As long as they aren't manipulating or hurting anyone with that selection I don't think it's a problem at all.

My question was just about the bigger topics of lying, like if someone says repeatedly that they work in Buckingham Palace (for example) but they don't, or that they're autistic and it turns out they aren't (or they never even thought they were). Magz answered it well enough, that these things would be looked at on a case by case basis but most of the time they're harmless. When they aren't, that's a different matter altogether.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 9:43 am

magz wrote:
Today even small children are trained at early education (at least here in Poland) never to reveal their true names or home address to strangers online.

Good for you in Poland! (In this regard, at least.)

Here in the U.S.A., alas, a lot of people (including a lot of people who really should know better, such as autistic adult support and social group leaders) have no compunction whatsoever about using their legal names online and encouraging other people to do likewise.

If nothing else, they implicitly encourage this by using Facebook (with its "real names" policy) as their primary mode of public contact. IMO, such things as autistic adult peer support groups do not belong on Facebook, due to FB's "real names" policy. But they are commonplace on Facebook, indeed probably more commonplace on FB than on any other online platform.

To me this is obviously unsafe! I don't understand why this isn't obvious to most people these days.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Sep 2023, 10:00 am

^ That's one of the reasons I never used f-book.
I don't want my personal info to be easily googlable and conveniently stored for unknown companies that want to pay for them.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 10:39 am

magz wrote:
^ That's one of the reasons I never used f-book.
I don't want my personal info to be easily googlable and conveniently stored for unknown companies that want to pay for them.

Yes, on Mastodon people were excited because they introduced a search function where your profiles and posts can be indexed by a search engine and people can find you using a range of methods.

No, no, no, no, no! I unchecked that box faster than a speeding bullet! I do NOT want to be found by any Tom, Dick or Harry on the internet. I like to keep private and keep my Mastodon life separate from search engines. Whoever thought that was a good idea needs their head testing.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 10:40 am

What is Mastodon?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 10:41 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Of course! I really wasn't making a commentary about WP at all. The point of a forum is for us to have anonymous names and we're advised to guard our personal information for safety reasons. I wouldn't expect to know anyone's real name or location, or even their specific job, unless the friendship was extremely advanced. Even then it's not necessary in most cases. I don't even care what gender anyone is here, because for all I know people can select the wrong gender as a way to safeguard their privacy. As long as they aren't manipulating or hurting anyone with that selection I don't think it's a problem at all.

My question was just about the bigger topics of lying, like if someone says repeatedly that they work in Buckingham Palace (for example) but they don't, or that they're autistic and it turns out they aren't (or they never even thought they were). Magz answered it well enough, that these things would be looked at on a case by case basis but most of the time they're harmless. When they aren't, that's a different matter altogether.

Great, thanks for that! :D

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 10:44 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
What is Mastodon?

It is a social media site but it is all a group of different sites which federate with each other so they can all communicate with each other. So it isn't one big commercial site run by a dictator- sorry, a company like Elon Musk's. :lol:

I don't understand the technicalities but it's more run by the people rather than the establishment because anyone can set up a site (an instance) and run it themselves.

That was probably clear as mud but you can look up Mastodon for more information. People from Twitter flooded there after EM took over and it's so much better because people are nicer. I have had disagreements with 2 people there in a year. On Twitter, people were attacking me every day.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 10:50 am

Thanks. I thought it was the equivalent of Google or Duck Duck Go rather than a SM company. I don't think I'll look it up because I'm not into social media. I've never used Twitter or Tumbler and don't know who EM is. I try to avoid stuff like that because I get my daily fix of drama as a YouTube moderator. That's enough to do my head in. I don't find there to be any drama here, or very little, so that's why I hang around so much. I know you love your fan fic stuff though, and maybe that's where you write. If so, it's great you've found a safe space that you like.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 11:24 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Thanks. I thought it was the equivalent of Google or Duck Duck Go rather than a SM company. I don't think I'll look it up because I'm not into social media. I've never used Twitter or Tumbler and don't know who EM is. I try to avoid stuff like that because I get my daily fix of drama as a YouTube moderator. That's enough to do my head in. I don't find there to be any drama here, or very little, so that's why I hang around so much. I know you love your fan fic stuff though, and maybe that's where you write. If so, it's great you've found a safe space that you like.

No it's not a search engine. You are wise not to go on sites like Twitter etc. I only did so due to devastating loneliness. I've never been on YouTube, apart from watching videos, I've never commented or got involved with it. I'm more a reader than a video watcher.

Mastodon is full of actual humans, it's astounding. Not trolls or bots like other social media. I can actually have normal conversations with them! Without getting attacked! It's healing me.

It's a good thing not to know who Elon Musk is, well done!

Yes there are some lovely fanfic writers and they are pretty supportive.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 11:53 am

I don't really watch YT videos either, even on my channel. Quite often I leave the audio off unless they're on Stream Yard. My job is to read the comments particularly in Live Chats, and weed out the endless litany of trolls, bots, and troublemakers. There are many. There's so much infighting between sites it would make your head spin. There are even sock puppets who use different names on different channels like moles, to get information and form false friendships. Then they spread the gossip on their own channels. I've had to go to enemy territory to see what they're saying there, and help flesh out the puppets. It's really quite insane how evil some people can be. The bots are much easier. You just push a button and kill them all at once. We've been doing Members Only and that seems to help cut down on the trolls.

Mastodon sounds great for what it is. Thanks for teaching me something new!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2023, 2:25 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
My job is to read the comments particularly in Live Chats, and weed out the endless litany of trolls, bots, and troublemakers. There are many. There's so much infighting between sites it would make your head spin. There are even sock puppets who use different names on different channels like moles, to get information and form false friendships. Then they spread the gossip on their own channels. It's really quite insane how evil some people can be.

Mastodon sounds great for what it is. Thanks for teaching me something new!

That is EXACTLY how Twitter is. Full of trolls, bots, troublemakers, infighting, sock puppets...It just got worse and worse over the years until I eventually left. Same with Facebook. It sounds like YouTube is another place to for me to avoid.

Mastodon is not like that, not so far anyway, fingers crossed. I can talk to anyone without getting my head bitten off or mocked or insulted. I don't have to carefully check back over months of the person's comments to see what they are like before talking to them. It is like meeting humans again. When we landed there from Twitter, we were all so traumatised by social media that we didn't dare say anything or make jokes. It was mostly photos of flowers, animals and landscapes. Everyone was super polite. Then gradually we started joking around and being silly. And now it's a lot of fun. :star:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 4:07 pm

Many years ago I got a pm from a ...Nigerian scammer ...or something who claim to be woman who was eager to start a relationship with me ...just from seeing my profile on WP which has no content whatsoever. I reported it. Others reported getting similar messages.

But Ive never seen someone on WP falsely claiming to be...the real Slim Shady.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 6:59 pm

KitLily wrote:

That is EXACTLY how Twitter is. Full of trolls, bots, troublemakers, infighting, sock puppets...It just got worse and worse over the years until I eventually left. Same with Facebook. It sounds like YouTube is another place to for me to avoid.

Mastodon is not like that, not so far anyway, fingers crossed. I can talk to anyone without getting my head bitten off or mocked or insulted. I don't have to carefully check back over months of the person's comments to see what they are like before talking to them. It is like meeting humans again. When we landed there from Twitter, we were all so traumatised by social media that we didn't dare say anything or make jokes. It was mostly photos of flowers, animals and landscapes. Everyone was super polite. Then gradually we started joking around and being silly. And now it's a lot of fun. :star:

That sounds idyllic. I've got a lot on my plate right now but maybe when I get home and get settled.

Thanks for the info!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 7:47 pm

I got a email from a Nigerian Prince once.....and he seemed to wanted to send me some money for him to put into my bank account .I thought it was aforable somehow..me..little ole me attracked the attention of a Nigerian Prince.
Aaaahh. felt Soooo special .. :) thought we might have something good going on ? :heart:
So after a week of looking at myself in the mirror and Wundering... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
then I just deleted the email... :cry: awe but it was a nice dream for a moment :mrgreen:

Then some guy named McCaffie and another named Norton ,keep wanting me to have an account with them.. for almost 6 months now.....am Sooo very popular :oops:

where ever you go ,there you are