Borders
Natural grocery store

Planet fitness
Berkeley bowl
Peets
Petco
Joanne

40 years old and unemployable.

Government benefits not guaranteed sufficient or permanent.

Especially since the government shutdown.

Especially since Coronavirus, plenty of people applying for jobs and government benefits.

My diagnosis for autism not until 21. That makes it sound like I don't really need government benefits

Grocery costs skyrocketing lately

Despite being 40, it seems like I have to (or get to) eat more, while maintaining the same weight. More food equals higher costs.

Sooner or later unexpected costs will incur

My worthless corpse is just a disaster waiting to keep happening s**t

Zero "friends"
Minimum wage jobs only
No car
Single
No kids
No job skills
Constipated
Bad at computers
Bad at driving
Bad at socializing
Unskilled labor

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2023, 6:58 am

Saying as nicely as possible.

Go find a therapist. Some do take state insurance as well.

I've seen you post here a ton but haven't seen a single good thing. If you don't know anything good about yourself, how is an employer supposed to know? Are you dependable? Good natured? Who knows because you've already sold us on here that you, for whatever reason, are unemployable.

This is America. Everyone can be exploited and therefore everyone is employable eventually in one way or another.

But seriously. Working out that huge self esteem issue might do you some good.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2023, 7:09 pm

When you said that companies that "had the nerve" to ignore your applications, it gives the impression that you believe they are under an imperative to peruse your applications, and maybe even hire you.

They are under no such imperative.  While employment is a right, being hired is a privilege.

If the HR people have a certain number of positions to fill, they will examine only enough applications to fill those positions -- maybe two or three times as many just in case the first applicants have become unavailable.

Once the positions are filled, the remaining applications are essentially forgotten. Some companies keep the applications for a while, but then they get tossed into the shredder and the process starts over.

I suggest re-applying to the same companies every few months, just in case.

And get rid of that poor-poor-me attitude.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2023, 11:01 pm

Geeky freak

I think I have the correct amount of self esteem and most precious lil "people" are like *confidence not proportional to competence*

Seems to me like almost everyone I have ever interacted with is totally full of themselves

They act like they are so smart, wise, cool, awesome and important but they are just like wild animals that have way too strong emotions and don't think clearly or deeply. Plenty of precious lil "people" act like they are so morally innocent and all that, but they only care about themselves. It appears that they care about a lot of people but everyone they care about has the same Myers Briggs type as them

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

04 Oct 2023, 3:53 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Geeky freak

I think I have the correct amount of self esteem and most precious lil "people" are like *confidence not proportional to competence*

Seems to me like almost everyone I have ever interacted with is totally full of themselves

They act like they are so smart, wise, cool, awesome and important but they are just like wild animals that have way too strong emotions and don't think clearly or deeply. Plenty of precious lil "people" act like they are so morally innocent and all that, but they only care about themselves. It appears that they care about a lot of people but everyone they care about has the same Myers Briggs type as them

If you had the correct amount of self esteem you wouldn't be posting this same list every week.
My dude, as the other poster said (sorry forgot your name) nobody is obligated to hire you ever.

I have so little emotion that I put a disclaimer on my first post to make sure any hard feelings were negated at the beginning. I could tell you what I want, but it would violate ToS. What do you expect us to do about your pity party?

And confidence is not proportional to competence. I used to be a scared little vet tech student who turned into one of the best people to get a needle in a dying animal. Just this year I had to play catch up for a grad level cert. Went from barely understanding Python to teaching AIs. Little confidence, total competence in both cases.

NobodyNothingJr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2023, 3:35 pm

I feel like people on this forum can be really not nice and I don’t agree with the others here. I think your situation sounds difficult and it’s totally okay to vent and feel angry. It sucks how all these jobs make you go through long application processes and they really don’t care that humans are on the side of it and they don’t care if we get hired or not.

It’s also super sh***y to get a late diagnosis, it’s like you’re late to everything in life because of it.

Just keep trying, don’t give up, take a break from the job search for a bit if you can. I obsessively search and apply to jobs and it gets exhausting. Im going to try and get help from the state vocational rehab idk if you have that near you but might be worth a try and see if they can help you find a job.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 3:39 pm

NobodyNothingJr wrote:
I feel like people on this forum can be really not nice and I don’t agree with the others here. I think your situation sounds difficult and it’s totally okay to vent and feel angry. It sucks how all these jobs make you go through long application processes and they really don’t care that humans are on the side of it and they don’t care if we get hired or not.

It’s also super sh***y to get a late diagnosis, it’s like you’re late to everything in life because of it.

Just keep trying, don’t give up, take a break from the job search for a bit if you can. I obsessively search and apply to jobs and it gets exhausting. Im going to try and get help from the state vocational rehab idk if you have that near you but might be worth a try and see if they can help you find a job.

I agree that people can be unkind on this forum to people in mental distress. Sometimes, it seems as though to get any sympathy from anyone you must be popular in some way.

That said, I agree that the process of being rejected whilst job hunting is a demoralising one and its no wonder it could affect the mood of a person if all they experience is rejection.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 3:52 pm

Its common not to hear from prospective employers if you are merely submitting an application. It does not mean any one has "nerve" as you put it. It also doesn't mean that they will not re-consider you in the future. You will have to re-apply, because most employers no longer have the time or the resources to personally cold-call all of the hundreds of previous applicants that have ever applied each time they have an opening.

If you are applying once at any particular company and then writing them off for having nerve, you are only hurting yourself.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 8:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
When you said that companies that "had the nerve" to ignore your applications, it gives the impression that you believe they are under an imperative to peruse your applications, and maybe even hire you.

They are under no such imperative.  While employment is a right, being hired is a privilege.

If the HR people have a certain number of positions to fill, they will examine only enough applications to fill those positions -- maybe two or three times as many just in case the first applicants have become unavailable.

Once the positions are filled, the remaining applications are essentially forgotten. Some companies keep the applications for a while, but then they get tossed into the shredder and the process starts over.

I suggest re-applying to the same companies every few months, just in case.

And get rid of that poor-poor-me attitude.

Unfortunately, it's common for companies to not respond in any way, shape or form to an applicant if they haven't been selected for an interview. I don't like the practice of them not acknowledging it at all, but that is a common thing, ND or not. It can mean something, or it can mean nothing at all. I've got my current job because I followed up by going in person and asking. For reasons that I don't understand, and possibly pandemic related, that was a common hiring issue where I'm working.

It's also worth recognizing that the way that hiring is done could hardly be any less accessible for autistic folks as every step of the process up to getting an offer hits us at places that are typical weaknesses.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 8:08 pm

DanielW wrote:
Its common not to hear from prospective employers if you are merely submitting an application. It does not mean any one has "nerve" as you put it. It also doesn't mean that they will not re-consider you in the future. You will have to re-apply, because most employers no longer have the time or the resources to personally cold-call all of the hundreds of previous applicants that have ever applied each time they have an opening.

If you are applying once at any particular company and then writing them off for having nerve, you are only hurting yourself.

Yes, although I've thought that a form letter indicating that the application is dead for now would be decent. That being said, in most cases where you're not hearing back, it's because nobody actually saw the application, the computer rejected it for whatever reason. If the computer didn't, then chances are that HR did before it even got to a hiring manager to look at.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2023, 8:36 pm

NobodyNothingJr wrote:

Just fyi there was more going on regarding OP that spans multiple posts.