Page 5 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 1:44 pm

Double Retired wrote:
"Scientists make disturbing discovery about almost all protein sources: ‘There’s no way to hide’"
Quote:
What happened?

Researchers from the Ocean Conservancy and the University of Toronto analyzed more than a dozen different types of proteins including seafood, pork, chicken, beef, and tofu. They found microplastics in nearly 90% of the samples they tested and estimated that the average American adult may consume at least 11,000 pieces of microplastics each year.

Per serving, breaded shrimp had the most microplastics, followed by plant-based nuggets and chicken nuggets. Chicken breasts, pork loin chops, and tofu had the least.

Because highly processed products like breaded shrimp and chicken nuggets contained significantly more microplastic particles per gram, researchers suggested that food processing could be a source of contamination.

Why is this study important?

This study adds to mounting evidence about the prevalence of microplastics in the natural environment and in our bodies. Research has already documented microplastics in water, fruits and vegetables, salt, sugar, rice, milk, and beer.

In fact, one study found that the average adult takes in about 2,000 microplastics annually through salt alone. Human exposure to microplastics also comes from inhalation.

The World Health Organization recently released a report summarizing the body of research about the health impacts of microplastics. However, it says it’s still too early to make any real conclusions.

“While we still really don’t have any idea what the human health consequences of this are,if there are any at all, we need to take this seriously because this is a problem that’s not going away on its own, and it’s only going to get worse the more plastic we use and throw away,” George Leonard, one of the study’s authors and chief scientist at Ocean Conservancy, told The Washington Post.
Highlighting added.

Jakki, I'm sorry to hear about your medical problem. I can only wish you a good outcome (and I know so little about medicine I'm unclear whether or nor "outcome" should be taken literally.

The conclusions are easy.. one day humans will be made entirely of Microplastics .Plastics breakdown in Sunlight over periods of time ...! And human skin breaksdown after extended exposure to Sunlight . There seems to be a trend ..?
( written , with tongue firmly planted in cheek ) " joke"

where ever you go ,there you are

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2024, 8:36 pm

"Nanoplastics linked to heart attack, stroke and early death, study finds"

Quote:
People with microplastics or nanoplastics in their carotid artery tissues were twice as likely to have a heart attack, stroke or die from any cause over the next three years than people who had none, a new study found.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2024, 12:51 am

Double Retired wrote:
"Nanoplastics linked to heart attack, stroke and early death, study finds"
Quote:
People with microplastics or nanoplastics in their carotid artery tissues were twice as likely to have a heart attack, stroke or die from any cause over the next three years than people who had none, a new study found.

Started a deep dive on this , has been suggested that intake of Chorophyll supplementation. regularily , were suppose to help move microplastics out of a human beings system. :| Have not tried this ,but am hopeful .? 8O

Orrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2024, 2:32 am

The EU declaring yesterday to cut 5% use of a limited list of plastics is somewhat positive, better than hand-wringing. 5% is such a small amount though isn’t it.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 3:58 pm

Insight from outer space!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2024, 11:42 pm

Perhaps that old movie Sovlent Green ,wasn't too far off base...??. :roll: 8O .....
Perhaps 15 humans can be compressed into making one gallon of fossil fuel ? ...in later years ? based on Plastic intake
from microplastics , ( as I believe plastics are normally refined from Petroleum products ??.). but maybe vegatable starches are being used too now.?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2024, 5:49 pm

"Archaeologists are now finding microplastics in ancient remains"

Quote:
Microplastics have been found in historic soil samples for the first time, according to a new study, potentially upending the way archaeological remains are preserved.

Researchers found microplastics in soil deposits more than seven meters (23 feet) underground, which were deposited in the first or second century CE and excavated in the 1980s, a team led by researchers from the University of York in the United Kingdom said in a statement published Friday.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2024, 10:22 am

Double Retired wrote:
"Archaeologists are now finding microplastics in ancient remains"
Quote:
Microplastics have been found in historic soil samples for the first time, according to a new study, potentially upending the way archaeological remains are preserved.

Researchers found microplastics in soil deposits more than seven meters (23 feet) underground, which were deposited in the first or second century CE and excavated in the 1980s, a team led by researchers from the University of York in the United Kingdom said in a statement published Friday.

AHAAA.... obviously we are a product of long dead civilizations ..Whose microplastics already broke down..Into the environment .Hmmm... if those people back then, had this technology , and had environmental concerns...?
Why were the Pyramids NOT made of plastic? much easier to mold ..?.? :ninja: :mrgreen: