Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 6:49 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
The good news is that plastic is inert. The bad news is that plastic is inert, and stays in the environment a long time and doesnt decay. Kinda cancels out I suppose.

Its made from oil (which is found in nature)...but it isnt oil. Its so alterted at the molecular level that it cant be thought of as a natural substance.

But ...having said that...there is something in nature that is a lot like man made plastic. And that thing is amber. The sap that comes out of conifer trees and hardens into a lovely solid hard translucent stuff ...stuff that is chemically a lot like plastic. Folks make carvings out of it. Some one made a whole room out of amber. In fact an article in Smithsonian Magazine described it as "a kind of natural plastic even though that sounds like an oxymoron". And thats where I got the idea for my WP nickname. Sounds like a good name for a...seductive 90s boy band. "Hey girl...we are..natural plastic".

But I digress.

We have all seen pics of those hapless bugs that got trapped in sap and got preserved in amber for fifty million years. So like the man made polymers it lasts a LONG time. An indicator of how long the manmade stuff might last in the environment.

You can convert plastics back into the oil that they were made from using microwave radiation of particular wavelengths (and power). Ever notice that if you heat a plastic dish in a microwave time and time again, it will tend to degrade? This is due to the energy absorbed by the chemical bonds causing them to break down. That can be a source of microplastics in our systems.

Over a decade ago, a Japanese researcher built a microwave converter (using 50 microwave generators) to do just that on purpose. It was not economically feasible to use, as it cost $18 per liter of oil recovered at the time just for the energy it consumed. The cost has come down considerably, but it is not something that you will likely have in your house anytime soon. When people say that we are almost out of oil, I laugh because we have so much plastic that can be converted back. It just costs too much to do so. Maybe someday...

I have a collection of amber with trapped items in them. Insects are easy to find in amber, so I no longer bother looking for those. My favorite to find is ancient spiders, as I have two of them. I do not know if they are from an extinct species or not. They are fully preserved by the amber down to their hairs. I know in China around 2016 that they found part of a preserved dinosaur tail in amber that had feathers still attached.

BTW - The amber room from the Russian czar has not been found yet. It was captured by the Germans during WWII and taken away to be a war prize. It was likely either destroyed in an attack or buried in a way that it will not be found. Amber can be burned if heated high enough, as it has high carbon content (like plastics). The estimated value of the room is in the billions of dollars of today's money. Irreplaceable is the word I use for that room, as the amber was of very high quality.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 11:55 pm

"YAwwwwnnn....I dont bother with them if they only have six legs. They have to have eight legs for me to keep 'em."

Where do you ...stumble over so much ancient amber (that it enables you to be so blaze' and picky about collecting it)? :lol:

Gimmie ...some of those insects that you reject! Would LOVE to have some of em!. :D

Yeah...ive read about how the occasional vertebrate animal got trapped (like small lizards or frogs). And I think I saw that article about the small piece of dinosaur tail. Thats awesome that we now can see feathers on a non avian dinosaur.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

08 Oct 2023, 12:45 am

naturalplastic wrote:
"YAwwwwnnn....I dont bother with them if they only have six legs. They have to have eight legs for me to keep 'em."

Where do you ...stumble over so much ancient amber (that it enables you to be so blaze' and picky about collecting it)? :lol:

Gimmie ...some of those insects that you reject! Would LOVE to have some of em!. :D

Yeah...ive read about how the occasional vertebrate animal got trapped (like small lizards or frogs). And I think I saw that article about the small piece of dinosaur tail. Thats awesome that we now can see feathers on a non avian dinosaur.

Tucson mineral show is a great place to find included amber pieces. I know a few of the amber dealers that attend that show. Sometimes they let me dig in their rough at their shops before they take it to the show. It is not cheap if you want the best amber. My collection is not that big, probably a pound or so. I even have some blue amber pieces from the South China Sea area. They are fluorescent under a UV light to give a bright blue.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 2:06 pm

"Scientists discover concerning material hiding inside human hearts: ‘Measures should be taken to mitigate exposure’"

Quote:
Scientists have previously found microplastics in our air, food, water, lungs, blood, and other body tissues. Yet there has been limited evidence of plastic in the heart or other organs that are closed off from our external environment.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 5:25 pm

There are parallels between climate change and microplastics
https://www.wired.com/story/the-micropl ... lly-worse/

As with carbon emission getting worse (not better), plastic production is still increasing in the developing world because it is cheap and they have no other option.

Humans have set themselves up for a dystopian future environment here on earth.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 1:31 pm

"Researchers make disturbing discovery while analyzing samples taken from the Great Lakes: ‘We know we are being exposed’"

Quote:
The Guardian reported that a recent peer-reviewed paper from the University of Toronto found that nearly 90% of water samples taken from the Great Lakes over the last 10 years contain levels of microplastics unsafe for wildlife.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2023, 8:50 pm

One only has to step onto any beach resort in Asia to see the impact of plastic
https://www.greenqueen.com.hk/plastic-p ... -each-day/

It is a lost cause, and microplastics are entering the food chain via sea food.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 1:31 pm

"Scientists discovered a common bacterium that can ‘eat’ plastic whole — and the breakthrough could be game-changing"

Quote:
Researchers have uncovered a bacteria that “eats” plastic and could help to support plastic recycling efforts across the globe.

More than 380 million tons of plastic are produced every year, nearly half of which is single-use. And while recycling efforts are widespread, less than 5% of all plastic is recycled, with the rest of it often winding up in landfills.

That could soon change thanks to a discovery by Northwestern University researchers, which was published in Nature Chemical Biology.

The researchers discovered that a common bacterium called Comamonas testosteroni, found in soil and sewage sludge, has the potential to consume plastic. The researchers observed the bacterium’s ability to break down laundry detergent as well as compounds in plastic and plants — basically, it’s hungry for the carbon that these materials turn into as they break down.

Let's hope this works out.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 2:33 pm

"Scientists make jarring discovery while analyzing coastal waters: ‘We were really surprised that nobody had reported this before’"

Quote:
Researchers at the University of Barcelona recently made a jarring discovery after analyzing seawater off the city’s coast — high concentrations of fibers from artificial grass that are made of plastic, NewScientist reported.

In fact, artificial grass accounts for 15% of larger plastics found in samples within about a half-mile of the shoreline.

The study excluded microplastics, focusing only on pieces 5 millimeters (or 0.2 of an inch) or larger. That’s because it’s harder to determine the origin of microplastics. The water samples were taken between 2014 and 2021.

The study’s lead author, Liam de Haan, thinks Barcelona’s large population paired with the city’s frequent use of artificial turf for sports probably accounts for the high numbers.

I was never a sports fan, anyways.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 10:49 am

"Wildlife officers make disturbing autopsy discovery after euthanizing sick bear: ‘It’s a call we wish we never had to make’"

Quote:
A sick bear in Telluride, Colorado, was euthanized by authorities — and upon a necropsy, they discovered that the animal had suffered for months due to plastic waste blocking its digestive system.

What happened?

Residents in Telluride contacted authorities to report a concerningly sick-looking bear in their community. John Livingston, a spokesperson from Colorado Parks and Wildlife, told CNN that the bear had foam around its mouth and puffy eyes, suggesting that the bear was “battling some kind of infection … He would walk about 20 or 30 yards at a time before needing to lay down.”

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 4:29 pm

It doesn't help when celebrities popularise the use of plastics in clothes
https://www.reddit.com/r/popculturechat ... nner_made/

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2023, 3:35 pm

"Nations gather in Nairobi to hammer out treaty on plastic pollution"

Quote:
Efforts to create a landmark treaty to end global plastic pollution are advancing Monday in Nairobi as most of the world's nations, plus petrochemical companies, environmentalists and others affected by the pollution gather to discuss draft language for the first time.

It's the third gathering in a compressed five-meeting schedule intended to complete negotiations by the end of next year.

“The urgency of addressing plastic pollution cannot be overstated," said Gustavo Adolfo Meza-Cuadra Velasquez, chair of the negotiating committee, at the headquarters of the United Nations Environment Programme in Nairobi. "To bring a difference at the scale required, we must work collectively."

Kenya's president, William Ruto, called the treaty “the first domino” in a shift away from plastic pollution.

But the negotiations have been strained by concerns over delays in discussing the plastics issue at hand. In the last round of talks in Paris, talks stalled for about two days as some countries hampered discussions.

The power dynamics and positions of different delegations became clear in the first two rounds of talks in Paris and Punta del Este, Uruguay. They echo some of the same positions as in international climate talks, and with good reason — many of the players are the same. Plastic is largely made from crude oil and natural gas, giving oil-producing countries and companies a large stake in any treaty.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 4:42 pm

"Researchers develop sponge that could soak up as much as 90% of microplastic from our water: ‘We don’t have to wait…’"

Quote:
Sponges already sop up a lot of gunk generated by our existence. Now, researchers in China have made a synthetic sponge that they claim can absorb microplastics in our tap water and the sea.

During testing, the experts were able to clear up to 90% of microplastics from the liquids they pushed through their sponges. Results varied based on the type of liquid and other variables, including acidity and saltiness, according to a report on the findings by Smithsonian Magazine.

The filtered liquids included tap water, seawater, and takeout soup. (Microplastics are just about everywhere.)

I notice the article doesn't seem to foresee running the oceans through the sponges, however.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 7:15 pm

Yeah this is great. My grandparents were poisoned by lead, my parents were poisoned by asbestos, and I'm being poisoned by microplastics. It's so wonderful to be alive.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 4:31 am

Why don't water/soft drink companies switch to paper juice instead, like the packaged juice? So a paper box can hold acidic juice well yet can't hold water? :roll:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 10:04 pm

Forget it, the world is doomed anyway because of climate change and WWIII and pandemics, what's the point of even trying to change anything anymore? In real life evil always wins.

I'm surrounded by plastic toys and figures I collect, so I'm probably poisoned beyond help like the world is.