QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 7:56 am

naturalplastic wrote:
QuantumChemist wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
So...

The dinosaurs, and the plants they ate, and lived among ...got buried in the earth's crust...got fossilized...and became petroleum. Then a hundred million years later ...these ground dwelling apes (humans)that now live on the earth's surface began pumping this fossilized plant liquid out of the ground...and used it to make artificial solid material for stuff they use (plastic).

So humans are now a geological force that...takes fossilized plant material from deep in the earth's crust...and redistributes it as 'fossilized' human artifacts on top of the earth's crust?

I am just "thinking aloud" trying to conceptualize this. :D

:lol:

I thought that I might add that the mineralization of plastics likely does not just happen at the surface of the Earth exposed to air. It very well could be happening at the bottom of the oceans where geothermal vents come into contact with plastic waste that has settled out. Due to the lack of available atmospheric gases in the reaction, the end products might not be the same as on dry land. Someday in the future (if humans survive), geologists may have to dig through the new plastic-enhanced minerals to reach the original pre-plastic era rocks.

Millions of years from now future creatures will do geology and dig down and find that thin layer of plastic everywhere at that strata laid down in our time and be puzzled by it. And they will wonder just what "life in plastic" was like.

My message to these future beings is...it was fantastic!

https://youtu.be/ZyhrYis509A

Initially I thought you were going to go in a different direction with that. I was assuming that the researchers (maybe not human by that point) would find that layer and think people died off due to a large plastic comet hitting the Earth. It covered the surface and blocked our light supply for an extended period of time, much like volcanic ash does. :D

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 10:05 am

Seeing plastics are inert, I'm not overly worried about microplastics but I do wonder if the harm caused by microplastics have been offset by the use of plastics in the medical field for example.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 10:55 am

Nades wrote:
Seeing plastics are inert, I'm not overly worried about microplastics but I do wonder if the harm caused by microplastics have been offset by the use of plastics in the medical field for example.

Don't plastics melt though? Wouldn't that cause bad effects? Or if they build up, say in the heart/brain/artery, could they block it?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2023, 1:32 pm

Nades wrote:

Doubtful.. plastics in the medical field benefit humans, microplastics all over the world harm countless animals and plants.

But there's also not really a strong correlation between the two, anyways. Most plastics used in the medical field are solid vs. woven textile fabrics being laundered, so they're not really contributing much to the microplastic problem. Packaging, medical devices.. not really shedding little fine bits. It's synthetic clothing being washed in machines that has little tiny bits of plastics breaking free from them and ending up in the rinse water and out into the world that's causing Most of the microplastics problem - hence one proposed solution of abandoning synthetic clothing textiles entirely.

I suppose another possible one would be some pretty fine filters to strain all washing machine water thoroughly and capture microplastics to dispose of differently instead of letting it all just enter the water system on this water planet. It would be expensive and time consuming, so people couldn't do quick loads of laundry back to back as they'd be waiting for the rinse water to filter and drain, But it Could help stop making the problem worse.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 10:52 am

"Researchers horrified after discovering mysterious plastic rocks on a remote island — here’s what they mean"

Quote:
In a horrifying discovery, geologists have found rocks made from plastic debris on Brazil’s remote Trindade Island. The island, which serves as an important refuge for green turtles, is more than 700 miles from land. The plastic rocks are evidence of how human pollution has now influenced Earth’s geological cycles.

"Microplastics are in our bodies. Here’s why we don’t know the health risks"
Quote:
Some of the chemicals added to make plastic suitable for particular uses are also known to cause problems for humans: Bisphenol A, or BPA, is used to harden plastic and is a known endocrine disruptor that has been linked to developmental effects in children and problems with reproductive systems and metabolism in adults (SN: 7/18/09, p. 5). Phthalates, used to make plastic soft and flexible, are associated with adverse effects on fetal development and reproductive problems in adults along with insulin resistance and obesity. And flame retardants that make electronics less flammable are associated with endocrine, reproductive and behavioral effects.

“Some of these chemical products that I worked on in the past [like the polybrominated diphenyl ethers used as flame retardants] have been phased out or are prohibited to use in new products now [in the European Union and the United States] because of their neurotoxic or disrupting effects,” Leslie says.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Oct 2023, 12:21 pm

Jakki wrote:
Dont eat the air , or breathe the food ...Its bad for yah... :skull: ........ :D

What about breathing the water? I usually end up inhaling a little liquid every time I drink. Maybe the coughing is from microplastics :lol:

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 12:35 pm

KitLily wrote:
Nades wrote:

Don't plastics melt though? Wouldn't that cause bad effects? Or if they build up, say in the heart/brain/artery, could they block it?

Plastics are probably safe to have inside the body and microplastics can never built up enough to cause blockages. They're well known for being extremely unreactive, hence why plastics never seem to biodegrade and the reason microplastics are such a problem.

Looking back throughout time, there has always been something that has entered the body that shouldn't be there but the harm varies. I imagine before fire it was parasites, then carbon black, then lead from pipes, silica from grinding stones. It's all been in the human body but it's just what happens as technology progresses.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 2:22 pm

Nades wrote:
Looking back throughout time, there has always been something that has entered the body that shouldn't be there but the harm varies. I imagine before fire it was parasites, then carbon black, then lead from pipes, silica from grinding stones. It's all been in the human body but it's just what happens as technology progresses.

But aren't parasites, carbon, lead and silica natural things? Plastic is totally man made so surely that's worse because human bodies can't deal with it?

I don't mean to just argue, I'm just concerned about plastics.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2023, 3:59 pm

KitLily wrote:
Nades wrote:

But aren't parasites, carbon, lead and silica natural things? Plastic is totally man made so surely that's worse because human bodies can't deal with it?

I don't mean to just argue, I'm just concerned about plastics.

I would say that plastic is natural but processed similar to carbon black, lead and silica dust with the exception of the parasite's of course.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 1:41 am

Nades wrote:
I would say that plastic is natural but processed similar to carbon black, lead and silica dust with the exception of the parasite's of course.

I can't think that plastic is natural, sorry.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 2:03 am

Micro plastics
They're in you whether you like it or not, but what is the damage?. they have not figured out the damage to humans yet but wait a few years and maybe they will.

Apperently there are wax worms that can ingest and break down plastic, using the worms may be ineffective, but if scientists could synthesize whatever is in their saliva to break down the plastic back a way, so it is weird througout history how much people s**t on scientists who turned out to be right no matter how much s**t people threw at them. Like it was scientists who made it harder for us to poison ourselves with lead and tons of people fought agaisnt regulations against lead even though scientists had proof it was harming people.

And the early scientist who discovered that actually the earth revolves around the sun, was executed for saying that, like why? why the hell do scientists always get treated like s**t when they are doing the work to figure out how to keep humanity going. Scientists should have way more respect than they get, they are the true heroes of humanity and they barely even get any notice or appreciation.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2023, 8:00 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Scientists should have way more respect than they get, they are the true heroes of humanity and they barely even get any notice or appreciation.

I think scientists get respect when they're telling people what they want to hear. Which is obviously very dangerous.

But of course they usually aren't telling people what they want to hear, they are talking about facts. And these days money is the great god of everything and those with lots of money think they can overrule scientific facts. e.g. those people who went in that submarine that exploded.

And the other thing is the backlash against Experts. At least in Britain, we are told that we don't need experts anymore, we just need to use our common sense. What dangerous nonsense. A bit of research on Google isn't a substitute for years of training.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 12:31 am

The good news is that plastic is inert. The bad news is that plastic is inert, and stays in the environment a long time and doesnt decay. Kinda cancels out I suppose.

Its made from oil (which is found in nature)...but it isnt oil. Its so alterted at the molecular level that it cant be thought of as a natural substance.

But ...having said that...there is something in nature that is a lot like man made plastic. And that thing is amber. The sap that comes out of conifer trees and hardens into a lovely solid hard translucent stuff ...stuff that is chemically a lot like plastic. Folks make carvings out of it. Some one made a whole room out of amber. In fact an article in Smithsonian Magazine described it as "a kind of natural plastic even though that sounds like an oxymoron". And thats where I got the idea for my WP nickname. Sounds like a good name for a...seductive 90s boy band. "Hey girl...we are..natural plastic".

But I digress.

We have all seen pics of those hapless bugs that got trapped in sap and got preserved in amber for fifty million years. So like the man made polymers it lasts a LONG time. An indicator of how long the manmade stuff might last in the environment.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 6:14 am

That's so interesting, NaturalPlastic! Thanks!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2023, 10:22 am

"Your Evil Car Is Filling the Ocean With Microplastics, Scientists Say"

Quote:
You've probably heard warnings that the ocean is filling up with microplastics, with blame often settling on single-use consumer goods like plastic straws.

But the villain may instead be sitting in your driveway. According to a recent report by the Pew Charitable Trust, an estimated 78 percent of microplastics found in the ocean come from synthetic tire rubber, making it a massive contributor to ocean plastic pollution.

Over the last couple of years, scientists have identified a chemical called 6PPD-q that's extremely toxic to a number of fish species, as a recent writeup on the subject by Yale University's Environment 360 publication points out.

Worryingly, tire manufacturers are still using 6PPD, the precursor of this chemical, to produce car and truck tires. We still don't know the exact scale of the issue, but given the sheer amount of microplastics in the ocean, it certainly doesn't bode well.

And that's not to mention the hundreds of other potentially carcinogenic chemicals and compounds used by tire manufacturers that eventually leach into our oceans.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran