Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2023, 10:41 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
...what's the point of even trying to change anything anymore? In real life evil always wins.
It just means we have more obstacles to get past.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 4:47 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Yeah this is great. My grandparents were poisoned by lead, my parents were poisoned by asbestos, and I'm being poisoned by microplastics. It's so wonderful to be alive.

Isn't it great, though? Generations ago people didn't live long enough to be slowly poisoned by anything. We've got it pretty good. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 4:49 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Why don't water/soft drink companies switch to paper juice instead, like the packaged juice? So a paper box can hold acidic juice well yet can't hold water? :roll:

They hold liquid because they're lined with plastic.. which makes the paper uneconomical to recycle. They either end up in a landfill or incinerator.

People should just use refillable glass or metal bottles to take water/drinks with them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 7:51 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Forget it, the world is doomed anyway because of climate change and WWIII and pandemics, what's the point of even trying to change anything anymore? In real life evil always wins.

I'm surrounded by plastic toys and figures I collect, so I'm probably poisoned beyond help like the world is.

Your plastic belongs arent likely poisoning you.

Its when plastic coke bottles drift out to sea ...get broken down into small pieces ....and smaller and smaller pieces, and finnally microscopic micropieces, and end up inside fish you eat , or drinking water then its a problem.

If someone chucked your toy collection out on the front lawn, and the objects got carried away in a rain storm ...ending up in the river then...you're collection might turn into microplastics after a decade, and THAT would be your contribution to world poisoning.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 8:11 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
Yeah this is great. My grandparents were poisoned by lead, my parents were poisoned by asbestos, and I'm being poisoned by microplastics. It's so wonderful to be alive.

If the asteroids dont getcha...the super volcanoes do! :D

Just ask the dinosaurs.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 11:54 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Just ask the dinosaurs.
I wouldn't trust the dinosaurs' answer. I think they are trying to kill us. A major contributor to climate change is burning fossil fuels and plastics are often made from fossil-fuel based chemicals. Dinosaur fossils!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 3:29 pm

Hmmm...
Well some dinos are still around. We call them "birds".

Would THIS grey feathered dinosaur ever lie to you? :heart:

https://youtu.be/bl7WljhLa7Y

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2023, 3:57 pm

I think the grey feathered dinosaur would gladly lie...if it seed benefit.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2024, 4:45 pm

Scientists invent mind-blowing method to remove microplastics from our water: ‘1,000 times smaller than those that are currently detectable’

Quote:
Because synthetic plastic is a human-made material, it does not break down organically. It does break down, however, and the tiny particles that it breaks down into are known as microplastics.

Microplastics now exist everywhere on Earth — from deep in the oceans to inside wildlife and even in our own bodies.

Microplastics are potentially very damaging to the environment, and what’s worse, they are so small and omnipresent that they are nearly impossible to clean up.

Scientists are hard at work figuring out ways around that problem — and one team of scientists in Melbourne, Australia, may have come up with the best one yet.

Professor Nicky Eshtiaghi, lead researcher at RMIT University, and her colleagues have created a magnetic nano-pillared adsorbent that can remove smaller microplastics at a much faster rate than any currently existing technologies.

The adsorbent takes the form of a powder additive, which is added to water and attracts microplastics and dissolved pollutants. “This whole process takes one hour, compared to other inventions taking days,” says Ph.D. candidate Muhammad Haris, the study’s first author.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2024, 5:50 pm

"Scientists Say They'll Cut Back on Bottled Water After Learning 1 Liter Contains a Quarter of a Million Pieces of Plastic"

Quote:
The average liter of bottled water contains a quarter of a million pieces of microscopically small plastic — and the researchers who made this discovery have said that although it might not be dangerous, it’s made them cut back on how much bottled water they drink.
/\/\/\.
/\/\/\.
/\/\/\.
The study authors said that 90% of the plastic pieces were not microplastics, but nanoplastics, which are even smaller than microplastics, and “believed to be more toxic since their smaller size renders them much more amenable, compared to microplastics, to enter the human body,” the study said.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 8:23 pm

All my drinking glasses are plastic because I always end up breaking real glass, my toothbrush is plastic, and my toothpaste has microplastics in it. My soap and shampoo bottles are plastic.

So, am I supposed to let my body get filthy and smelly while my teeth and gums rot as I die of thirst?

Is microplastics the reason for autism? I heard it might be the reason for people being LGBT.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2024, 10:59 pm

Defo.. microplastics are the cause of human frailities...@utism,,, sexual stuff of every type .. and the worst offender of these situations ..turns out to be the humans themselves :twisted: Give me a ticket on the first bus to Mars please 8O
Honestly there should be somekind of International effort to harvest this stuff .. and turn it into Lunar habitats or something .. if I understand this stuff well enough , ? it melts pretty easily . :mrgreen:

where ever you go ,there you are

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 4:37 pm

Off Topic
We've been to Mars. We went by car but, apparently, if you can get to Pittsburgh, getting to Mars by bus is possible.
The Martians were friendly. :alien:
Sorry. I couldn't resist.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 5:19 pm

"Researchers make unsettling discovery after shining a pair of lasers through ‘ultrafine membrane’: ‘We’ve opened up a whole new world’"

Quote:
What’s happened?

Nanoplastics were generally considered too small to detect individually, and nano-mass in a sample could only be estimated.

But using new laser technology, researchers at Columbia and Rutgers were able to shine “two lasers, calibrated to recognize the chemical bonds binding the nanoplastic particles, onto the membrane. Then… count[ed] all the different particles of plastic.” They started by filtering three separate brands of bottled water through an “ultrafine membrane.”

Their research, summarized in a post by Grist, revealed that plastic water bottles have “nearly a quarter of a million of [nanoplastics] per liter, about 10 to 100 times more than previously published estimates.”

One of the researchers from Columbia, Wei Min, spoke to Grist about this new efficient way to identify nanoplastics and the ability to explore their effects on humans and the environment, noting: “We’ve opened up a whole new world.”

Why is this important?

Microplastics are pieces of plastic less than 5 millimeters in size. Nanoplastics are smaller, measuring less than one micrometer — 1/1000th of a millimeter. For comparison, an average human hair is 70 micrometers in diameter.

These plastic particles enter our water, food, makeup, and more.

Once ingested or inhaled, nanoplastics are small enough to invade cells, damage DNA, and negatively affect our immune systems, hearts, brains, and reproductive systems.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2024, 11:36 pm

Maybe discovering these things are great ..but Maybe getting them filtered out somehow , might be equally important ..
Bet that big cyst on one of my kidneys ...with filters blood ,stuff, etc, Probably is full of those things . Which no urologist wants to touch to drain it ,,,! Cant be helping my body out ..Prolly cause , a pathologist when testing the substance sucked out of the cyst ....might find its full of solid microplastics ..( Sorry .. just venting , i could be wrong)

where ever you go ,there you are

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm

"Scientists make disturbing discovery about almost all protein sources: ‘There’s no way to hide’"

Quote:
What happened?

Researchers from the Ocean Conservancy and the University of Toronto analyzed more than a dozen different types of proteins including seafood, pork, chicken, beef, and tofu. They found microplastics in nearly 90% of the samples they tested and estimated that the average American adult may consume at least 11,000 pieces of microplastics each year.

Per serving, breaded shrimp had the most microplastics, followed by plant-based nuggets and chicken nuggets. Chicken breasts, pork loin chops, and tofu had the least.

Because highly processed products like breaded shrimp and chicken nuggets contained significantly more microplastic particles per gram, researchers suggested that food processing could be a source of contamination.

Why is this study important?

This study adds to mounting evidence about the prevalence of microplastics in the natural environment and in our bodies. Research has already documented microplastics in water, fruits and vegetables, salt, sugar, rice, milk, and beer.

In fact, one study found that the average adult takes in about 2,000 microplastics annually through salt alone. Human exposure to microplastics also comes from inhalation.

The World Health Organization recently released a report summarizing the body of research about the health impacts of microplastics. However, it says it’s still too early to make any real conclusions.

“While we still really don’t have any idea what the human health consequences of this are,if there are any at all, we need to take this seriously because this is a problem that’s not going away on its own, and it’s only going to get worse the more plastic we use and throw away,” George Leonard, one of the study’s authors and chief scientist at Ocean Conservancy, told The Washington Post.
Highlighting added.

Jakki, I'm sorry to hear about your medical problem. I can only wish you a good outcome (and I know so little about medicine I'm unclear whether or nor "outcome" should be taken literally.