Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 10:14 pm

When do TVs get too old that you need to buy a new TV? I think my TV is slowly dying, I want a new one, but my mom got my TV for me & I can be weird about things that she brought me, I don’t want to throw alot stuff that she gave me away, I still have my dresser & night stand that my mom gave me when I first moved out in 2007. I have alot of her clothes too.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2023, 10:18 pm

Televisions can last a very long time of you take care of them.

Especially modern televisions, that don't have the issues of cathode-ray tube degradation.

There are features of newer televisions versus older televisions, depending on when your current television was bought and for how much (price can dictate the quality of a television, often).

Higher resolutions for a better picture, more connectivity options, and bluetooth capability are just a few benefits of an up to date television.

I would say if you haven't bought one in about 15 years, it would likely be time for an upgrade, providing you have the money to do so.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 7:15 pm

I have 4 television sets, all of the ancient cathode ray tube type which only have scart-type connections and could not be used for many modern applications. I don't even have a TV licence, and only use these devices to watch a VHS tape or a dvd from time to time. I'm actually very impressed by their durability, despite the observation by the previous poster - they seem to produce an excellent picture quality, despite the fact that they're all around 20 years old.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 11:49 am

They can last a long time, but at a certain point they become dust collectors. You will have trouble getting a signal for older models because they do not have a digital converter installed. You can buy digital converters for them, but the converters are often more pricey than what a new cheaper tv would cost. Many video game collectors keep at least one analog tv set for playing vintage game consoles on.

I have a “really old” tv that still works (screen lights up, static sound from speakers) when plugged in and turned on. How do I know that it is “really old”? I purchased it in 1991 at a garage sale for $1 from the original owner who was moving to an assisted living facility. She could not move it with her or she would have. It is from the 1950s, wooden cabinet with a very small screen. I have it in long term basement storage under a dust cover. It will get donated to a local museum someday.

Aside: I also bought a vintage black mohair couch and chair set for $4. It was appraised at $2000 a decade ago. You can find good stuff at garage sales.