Looking back now, this was odd

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 2:41 pm

The Ferengi love worms, so let’s open a can of worms..!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2023, 2:44 pm

Oh FFS I just had to look that up. I thought it was gonna be some kind of serious political movement or something. It's a flipping Sci fi show. Becheesus!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Oct 2023, 6:49 pm

babybird wrote:
Oh FFS I just had to look that up. I thought it was gonna be some kind of serious political movement or something. It's a flipping Sci fi show. Becheesus!
This is a classic case of political correctness getting hung up on the fine details while losing sight of the major issues.

I get that people can have various triggers including to certain words or wording. Me & my gf both have our various triggers but we both try not to blame others for triggering us unless they were intetionally trying to upset us & be mean. We realize that others are not the cause of us having triggers, especially when they had no way of even knowing we have those triggers. We are both very used to others misunderstanding us & misinterpreting us so it's only fair for us to consider the possibility that we might have misunderstood & misinterpreted others. Sometimes we accidently trigger each other a lot because of our various issues but 1ce we've calmed down we apologize to each for getting the other upset & we also appologize for getting upset. Then we move on & try to find ways to work on our own triggers while also minimising each others. I think it's extremely pathetic & sad this concept seems alien to suciety these days :)

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 1:46 pm

I was at the doctors office yesterday filling out a form that had a question for “females” addressing them as “females”. I laughed thinking about how all those people that attacked me on that post would feel about that. And because it reassures that I’m not crazy for having always thought that there’s nothing wrong with it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 2:08 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
Feminism is often used to mean being in favour of the equality of both sexes, but radical feminists kind of hijacked the term and people often think of them now that they have spread their misandry far & wide on the internet.

A lot of people also frame arguments for equality as though they were misandrist, despite not actually being misandrist.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2023, 2:09 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
I was at the doctors office yesterday filling out a form that had a question for “females” addressing them as “females”. I laughed thinking about how all those people that attacked me on that post would feel about that. And because it reassures that I’m not crazy for having always thought that there’s nothing wrong with it.

Context matters.

People accept certain nomenclature in some contexts that they won't accept in others. Medical nomenclature is often cold and impersonal, people expect to encounter terms they might find impersonal in that context.

It doesn't mean they're unreasonable for finding that term dehumanizing in other contexts.

You don't have to chance your preferred wordings to accommodate those people, but understand you're choosing to alienate some people before even getting to know them based on your choice of wording.

You know it antagonizes people, if you choose to word things that way anyways, you should expect some negative response.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2023, 8:09 am

It sounds a bit clinical, but not offensive.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Oct 2023, 5:56 am

Esme wrote:
It sounds a bit clinical, but not offensive.

This.

Frankly, I have no interest in the gymnastics some people expect me to perform to avoid accidentally offending someone.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2023, 1:42 pm

Ya that's odd.

Not sure what context you used the word OR how someone could have been offended by it, but, definitely odd.

Did they elaborate and say why the word offended them? Least they could do is explain why they got their panties all up in a bunch over a pretty benign word.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2023, 2:02 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:

Context matters.

People accept certain nomenclature in some contexts that they won't accept in others. Medical nomenclature is often cold and impersonal, people expect to encounter terms they might find impersonal in that context.

It doesn't mean they're unreasonable for finding that term dehumanizing in other contexts.

You don't have to chance your preferred wordings to accommodate those people, but understand you're choosing to alienate some people before even getting to know them based on your choice of wording.

You know it antagonizes people, if you choose to word things that way anyways, you should expect some negative response.
In my experience some people can be offended by most anything I may say. Plus people can be offended by opposite things as well. Trying to be overly PC in an attempt not to offend causes other people to be offended. Sometimes it's best for me to avoid interacting with others. Sh!t like the OP experienced is one of the reasons I don't use social media, WP is the only forum I post on, & the only person I really socialize with offline is my girlfriend.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2023, 3:00 pm

nick007 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:

Context matters.

In my experience some people can be offended by most anything I may say. Plus people can be offended by opposite things as well. Trying to be overly PC in an attempt not to offend causes other people to be offended. Sometimes it's best for me to avoid interacting with others. Sh!t like the OP experienced is one of the reasons I don't use social media, WP is the only forum I post on, & the only person I really socialize with offline is my girlfriend.

Personally, for the most part I try to just roll with it. You're right that it's possible to offend some portion of people no matter what you say, but as long as you're not intentionally being an edgelord it's not that common to offend the average person.

I don't see the potential for causing offence as a reason to cringe away from interaction in general.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2023, 3:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
nick007 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
CubsBullsBears wrote:

Context matters.

Personally, for the most part I try to just roll with it. You're right that it's possible to offend some portion of people no matter what you say, but as long as you're not intentionally being an edgelord it's not that common to offend the average person.

I don't see the potential for causing offence as a reason to cringe away from interaction in general.
I get what your saying. It's retaliation I fear. I'm used to being held to double standards. When I was a kid & somebody was bulling me the teachers would say they were just friendly teasing but if I did something that got misinterpreted I was in trouble for being a bully.