Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 2:17 pm

How has Coronavirus affected your life?

Laid off, sick, lost friends, telecommuting?

How cautious about coronavirus are you?

Do you still wear a mask?

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 2:29 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:

I don't think it really affected me. It stopped me from being places I only had one chance at. The whole social isolation thing was a blessing in disguise for me.

I caught it and I felt rough but I haven't felt right since - I fatigue at the drop of a hat since catching it.

I'm not that cautious any more, although I still find myself opening doors with my feet and trying not to touch things sometimes (it's more a habit than caution).

I haven't worn a mask for a while now.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 3:06 pm

Developed vertigo after covid and I've had very severe and disabling attacks ever since.
Also fatigue

Quote:

No to all of these.

Quote:

I try to avoid anyone who is obviously unwell but I can't really avoid contact with people in my job.
I wash my hands regularly and try not to touch my face.

Quote:

No. Hardly anyone does.
Wearing masks doesn't stop you getting covid.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 3:55 pm

It had a huge impact because my daughter is severely immunocompromised and we were terrified for her life.
They didn't think she'd be able to take the vaccines either.
She can't do regular flu vaccines or boosters.

My mum had cancer (still does), and was going for radiation treatment at the time.
It was all postponed at risk to her life.
When she finally got the radiation (every day for 30 days) I couldn't go with her, or meet her doctors.

She also had a shoulder replacement operation but couldn't have therapy or home care.
She lives alone as a widow and is very frail.
She falls a lot and has a history of strokes.

I couldn't visit or live with her because of exposure risk to my daughter.
She passed out one night on the floor and we didn't know for 12 hours.
She doesn't use computers so she couldn't even order food or do Zoom calls with us/ doctors.
She doesn't even text.

My own house was shut down like Fort Knox.
I had a flood in the house right before lockdowns.
Insurance wasn't allowed to come in and fix anything for a year.
Our air quality was really bad and even my furnace was pumping contaminated air.

I couldn't even see my bf for the better part of two years.
We had just met - so that's how our relationship started.
We had to put up a tent since we weren't allowed in each other's house.
Cops were charging people $1000 or more just for leaving their neighbourhoods.
My partner wasn't allowed in my "social bubble".
My social bubble only consisted of my daughter and her doctors.
He lives in an area that I was forbidden to go to -- there were cops on street corners.

I didn't get laid off because I was already on LTD.
My son had just left a job because of trauma (he had been stabbed), and he couldn't find another job.
He couldn't get unemployment or any Covid money.
None of us in my entire family got any Covid supplement money, ever.
We were all shite out of luck.
They don't give stimulus money to anyone disabled / not working.

Extremely - for the sake of my daughter and mum.
I'm cautious about all viruses for my daughter - even the common cold could kill her.

Yes, most of the time.
They were still required until very recently.
Actually they're still required at my doctor, dentist, or in hospitals.
Now I wear them because of Scopophobia.

Despite all this I loved lockdowns.
I liked having an excuse to be antisocial in society at large.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 4:04 pm

For the first 18 months or so, I was cautious about coronavirus, and made efforts to wash my hands after every activity that put me at risk of contamination.

I never had a covid vaccine, and I think I got Covid even before the vaccine was rolled out (my brother had come back from China in early 2020 at the start of the pandemic) and I shortly thereafter became ill with a textbook list of symptoms of covid. I felt as though I might not live through it, but mostly just sweated the whole thing out at home.

I was too ill to visit the hospital and I felt as though going there would be worse than staying at home and resting.

Hospitals are breeding grounds for viruses and a lot of people die in hospitals when they are clinically vulnerable, which might seem counter-intuitive, but that is what a lot of statistics suggest.

My lungs were making a whooshing sound when I breathed up and down, which felt more like pneumonia, but the overall symptoms suggested covid.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 4:12 pm

My sister-in-law is a geriatric nurse who was working in a care home in a hazmat suit.
Normally she would have provided care for my mother and visited her daily.
She couldn't see her for over a year because of her exposure at work.

We couldn't have any family gatherings at all for three years - no birthdays, Christmas, Easter.
They were actually outlawed by the government and people got fined.
It was really sad because we thought my mum would miss out on her "last" Christmas, etc.

My mum became extremely depressed being isolated and needy, to the point of feeling suicidal.
Then we had to deal with her mental health, again without seeing her in person.

She currently has Shingles and my daughter couldn't visit her when I was away, because it's contagious.
I guess even if I had been home, I wouldn't have been able to visit her because of my daughter's risk.

DH Rider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2023, 2:52 am

I got really sick with a mysterious Covid-like illness in mid-December 2019, even though I'd gotten a flu shot. I nearly called an ambulance at one point, and I was left with a severe dry cough that lingered for over a month. My building has many Chinese foreign students, so hmm...

I got N95 masks as soon as I could and because I have no friends or family left, I didn't catch it again. I put the masks away earlier this year but started wearing them in public again when there was news of a new variant. To me masks are not a big deal, as an old punk I'm used to looking out of place, and if anyone asks why I'm wearing a mask, I just go "What mask?".

The biggest way Covid has affected me is that it has been used as a divisive political tool where I live. The current local government is pretty far right, and it uses public money to spread conspiracy theories that rile up their christofascist far-right, anti-science base. Many of those people are aggressive bullies who threaten anyone who is not like them. You know, basically the kind of people who make life a living hell for autistic people. My mental health is not very good these days. Boo on Covid. Boo on fascism. :evil:

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 1:43 pm

Some very mild but odd long-term covid stuff that faded, Beer tasted sweeter for the taste area also for some time a sugar and caffeine sensitivity which both helped me stop drinking energy drinks and Soda so I use that for a positive.

About as cautious and one would be with a common cold. I got it from someone I lived with. Now when someone is sick in my house hold I start taking Vit C and Zinc supplements also try to keep my window open for fresh air.

Nope, the masks don't prevent it anyway and I have a sensory issue with things covering my face.

Side Note:
The one time I had it the thing lasted for 2 weeks with me before I could feel it was gone.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 1:58 pm

I don't think my breathing and cardio has fully recovered, but hopefully hockey will help it improve further.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う