Does anyone not like it when told they will make friends?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

catpiecakebutter
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2023, 8:17 pm

I'm in a new virtual group and it bothers me when my close friend tells me I will probably make friends in the group. Here's thing: I have some online friends but only 2 in person friends and I don't see them too often. So I recently started joining a online aspie group and and I feel like saying "what friends?" If I make friends the chances are for me are close to zero. I hate it when people tell me I will make friends. I have more acquaintances and strangers in my life than friends.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2023, 9:58 pm

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I have more acquaintances and strangers in my life than friends.

That's true for everyone, especially the more strictly someone defines friend.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:04 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:
I'm in a new virtual group and it bothers me when my close friend tells me I will probably make friends in the group. Here's thing: I have some online friends but only 2 in person friends and I don't see them too often. So I recently started joining a online aspie group and and I feel like saying "what friends?" If I make friends the chances are for me are close to zero. I hate it when people tell me I will make friends. I have more acquaintances and strangers in my life than friends.

Saying that you will "probably" make friends in any given online group is probably an exaggeration. But there might be things you could do to increase your chances of making friends in whatever group(s) you join.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 27 Oct 2023, 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:10 am

I think people overestimate the ability of autistic people to make friends and underestimate the difficulties with which autistic people face to have a friend that stays the course.

Being a part of a virtual group seems an unlikely way to meet an irl friend.

A lot of people make friends through work, being colleagues with a person before they work their way up to friendship.

This is an issue for a lot of autistic folk since employment levels for autistic people are low in general.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 6:27 am

blitzkrieg wrote:

Unlikely, but certainly possible if you happen to have enough in common and also happen to live near each other. I've made two in-person friends here on WP.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 7:21 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Unlikely, but certainly possible if you happen to have enough in common and also happen to live near each other. I've made two in-person friends here on WP.

I have made in-person friendships with some people related to WP in the distant past, but not recently.

I like my friends to be long-term. Not lasting just a few years.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 7:31 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I think people overestimate the ability of autistic people to make friends and underestimate the difficulties with which autistic people face to have a friend that stays the course.

A lot of people make friends through work, being colleagues with a person before they work their way up to friendship.

This is an issue for a lot of autistic folk since employment levels for autistic people are low in general.

That's true. My daughter has autism and she's quite successful socially.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 2:07 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
I have made in-person friendships with some people related to WP in the distant past, but not recently.

I like my friends to be long-term. Not lasting just a few years.

I like longterm friendships too. How long my new friendships will last remains to be seen. I hope they will last long and deepen.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 2:13 am

catpiecakebutter wrote:
Does anyone not like it when told they will make friends?
No.

I have not liked it when I tried and failed to make friends, or when the friends I had made turned against me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 2:21 am

People have never told me I would make friends anywhere.
I was raised by wolves, don't forget.
There were no pep talks.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 2:47 am

babybird wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

That's true. My daughter has autism and she's quite successful socially.

I am glad to hear that, babybird. :)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 6:18 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:

Yes! Most people don't understand that things that seem ordinary to them are hard for some other people! Especially other autistic people, but it can also be true of anyone. There are so many things that I find insurmountable and some people think I just need encouragement or a pep talk. In the distant past when I was young and naive I sometimes tried to follow their advice ("You're just anxious. Once you get there and do it it will be fine.") with disastrous and painful or mortifying results.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 7:12 pm

Never really had any friends, the concept is a bit lost on me honestly. I otherwise have one person of interest thats has remained for the last almost 7 years. It isn't definable as a friend, relationship of anythinging defined by dictionary definition, based on its infrequency, and that has seemed enough for me.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2023, 7:16 pm

bee33 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

Yes! Most people don't understand that things that seem ordinary to them are hard for some other people! Especially other autistic people, but it can also be true of anyone. There are so many things that I find insurmountable and some people think I just need encouragement or a pep talk. In the distant past when I was young and naive I sometimes tried to follow their advice ("You're just anxious. Once you get there and do it it will be fine.") with disastrous and painful or mortifying results.

Yeah, I feel you.

There are many things in life that I am told I should do but which I lack the ability to regularly do, as part of a routine behaviour.

People just assume everyone is as able as them, in any area of skill that is commonly known to be 'easy' or 'common sense' or whatever. This is especially relevant to social instances as you describe.

Rainbowstarsxoxo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Dec 2023, 9:35 pm

They don’t tell me that but people tell me I don’t have friends. That hurts even more. I can’t help it if I can’t make friends.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2023, 8:41 am

It drives me crazy when people tell me that I will make friends. I find it very hard to make good friends and I'm lucky to have the two close friends that I have. It takes me a while to open up to people.