Welp just got out of detox this past Tuesday

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Aspieangeldude
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Oct 2023, 8:19 pm

I have been drinking daily ever since 2018 which was around 5 years, longest I went without a drink was 1-2 days. 2 years ago I was diagnosed with fibrosis of the liver and I tried nonstop to quit on my own but failed each time. Now this is gonna sound crazy me being a spiritual Christian, but I felt a spiritual presence of God or one of his angels telling me: “you WILL die if you keeps on drinking. God suggests you go to a detox center ASAP and the best one is (confidential facility)” I often dismiss stuff like this but knew for sure this was a legit experience. Cutting to the chase, Wednesday before last I checked into the detox center. At first when walking into the unit, I was so nervous I was stiff and withdrew into a corner. I slowly started warming up and making friends with my older roommate who was cool. We got to watch dvds, eat food catered from a hotel nearby, we rarely had groups and most were guest speaker groups. First night there I was jonesing for a drink until I got on this medication temporarily which took away the cravings and kept dt’s from occurring. I was discharged last Tuesday and the psychological cravings have been making me miserable, every time I open my fridge, come home from work and when 6:00 comes around my body torments me for a drink and I’m flat out miserable. Only thing that gets rid of the cravings is my prn Clonipin. So I’ll stick with that until my brain adjusts to no alcohol. Today the cravings aren’t so bad and I think they’re finally ceasing. It’s been one heck of the last 2 weeks I tell ya.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2023, 10:49 pm

I can't speak on the religious aspects here...I'm somewhere between agnostic and athiest. But I can say this, I grew up with an addict mom and the bulk of my whole family deals with addiction as well. I know stopping that stuff is difficult to say the least and going at it alone often isn't good enough. Sometimes more help is what's needed. It's hard to do that, and you did it, you're taking those steps. That takes strength, courage and so much more. Good on you. I'm glad the cravings are lessening, and I hope you have a solid support plan/system in place. I'm pullin for you. I wish you well in this. I bet it has been a heck of a couple weeks. You got this though. One moment at a time.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 1:54 pm

Good move. Stick to it! Too many people have repeat trips to detox because they can't manage to stay away from their particular vice & give in to temptation/desire too easily. That's not to say if you fall off the wagon you shouldn't try again.. just sayin' ideally your will to stay sober remains stronger than any temptation to drink again.