Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Oct 2023, 11:32 am

I'm interested to know if anyone has any side hussles they do outside of their main job. Either to make a bit of extra money now or in the hope of making money later on (i.e. creating a product to sell in future, developing a skill, building a portfolio or growing a small business)?

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 4:58 am

I've always had side hussles.
Worked all matter of jobs when at school and uni.
When I graduated I worked full time, did another job in the same field one day a week and picked up casual work on my days off in other areas.
It allowed me to get ahead financially while I was still quite young to buy a house and channel money into investments.
I didn't fully appreciate it at the time but it also gave my Superannuation (a compulsory retirement savings scheme we have in Australia) a nice little boost along as well.

If nothing else side hussles are a great way to make some extra money, eliminate any debts you may have and stash $$$ away in appreciating assets for a rainy day.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 8:46 am

A lot of side hussles are a scam in terms of the time invested in them versus the reward.

But you might get lucky and find your niche.

I hope you do.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2023, 9:05 pm

I sell digital furry art commissions once in a while. It pays pretty well, I make about 50 usd from a simple character drawing, and more when it's more complex. I have only advertised online a handful of times, but I felt overwhelmed when I got a lot of commissions so nowadays I just take random commissions from regulars when they want something new.

I want to try selling pre-made fursuit heads in the future.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 12:22 pm

I should probably get a job in my trade again, even at a lower wage, and then keep my own contracting to side jobs to do on weekends or whatever vs. just do my own thing as renovation work is slowing down. We'll see how things go. Might go back to my union apprenticeship working on commercial buildings. Biggest con is the super early AM start times.. that and most likely paying for parking downtown or wherever work is. But there's consistent full time work, and then if someone wants some small stuff done I can still make it happen on a weekend, maybe some evenings.. but hard to work around the clock and not just be super burnt out, so a lot of guys that do side jobs don't do evenings, only weekends.

My trade is Taping (drywall finishing) so there's always someone with a wall to patch or bathroom/basement/garage to prep for paint. It's hit or miss sometimes whether there's good money in it or not.. with renovations and residential construction about to stop due to high interest rates stopping the flow of money, there's going to be a lot of guys out of work who will work cheap to make ends meet, and people have widely varying expectations of quality.. so, if they want a fast cheap sh***y job they can find it from someone - and that someone else can do it lol sometimes the pay offered is so low it's not worth the gas to go ply my trade; I'd make more money at a part time job somewhere else.

But yeah, I can move semi-liquid material around with trowels & knives and make jagged walls & ceilings look butter smoooooooth. I've been fortunate enough to work with several contractors that have been transparent about their pricing so I'm learning ever better how to charge for my work. Some guys I've worked with charge far too little - almost charity prices.. and then complain they don't make any money. Uuuuh.. the other guy that did a terrible job you fixed charged twice as much and the customer paid it, we went and fixed it properly for half the price = wtf? Stupid. Oh well. At least I know what people are willing to pay and will charge accordingly so that when I do more of my own jobs I'll get paid properly for them. 8) If people don't want to pay, ok fine, DIY or hire someone else.. but I'm not gonna drive to your house 3-6 times to just earn enough to pay for materials & gas. :roll:

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 3:34 am

Investing, trying internet marketing again, rentals, and maybe with some luck from investing buy a business.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 6:40 am

I had to look to see what a side hustle was.

I have occasionally sold something involving one of my hobbies, and I could make money, but I usually broke even or made a loss as I like my hobby too much! :D (So if I sold something I would usually buy something else! :D ).

But I had to sell things a little cheap in the past to keep my car on the road when I had no income.
I sold the trains and things I ddn't use as I had changed scale.