Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

AutumnDust
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2023, 4:37 pm

Hi.

My name is Autumn. I'm living in Wales and have recently been diagnosed with Autism aged 39. I asked for a diagnosis in may 2022 and had suspected for a long time before that I may be Autistic, but didn't realise how it was affecting my life enough that a diagnosis felt relevant for me to get until I researched more about Autism and how I fit a lot of what I had been seeing, how some (or a lot) of the struggles I have had, repeated patterns of burnout especially, could be linked to Autism.

Before coming to acceptance of being Autistic I had already came out as Trans several years earlier, hoped that transition would help me be able to be more myself, and it did yet there was still more going on. I knew that, but couldn't quite pinpoint what it was.

I know I probably could have been diagnosed earlier in my life if I didn't have this annoying trait in myself where I am very averse to asking for help. I'll struggle on and on until I hit burnout before asking for help in most instances. I am hopeful now though that I will get some good quality support to help me through to whatever is going to be next for me in my life.

I enjoy video games, Chess, Science and maths, anything cat related, and this is me, reaching out to who I hope is, my people that I kinda wish I reached out to sooner.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 4:42 pm

welcome Autumn, glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

peet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Oct 2023, 4:58 pm

Hi Autumn

I can relate to a lot of what you wrote. I'm 38 and also recently diagnosed with autism.
Nice to meet you.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 6:17 pm

G’day Autumn, welcome to WP. Cool name by the way. I find these forums are good for reading other people’s journeys and finding experiences that mirror my own, and hearing how they over overcame their hurdles. I hope your own experience here is helpful.

The_Wolf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 8:48 pm

Hello Autumn and welcome to Wrong Planet from New Zealand - I hope you will enjoy it here :)

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2023, 8:49 pm

Ahoy-hoy.

AutumnDust wrote:
My name is Autumn. I'm living in Wales

8O Like Jonah? I guess you must get used to the smell after awhile.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AutumnDust
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2023, 5:49 am

funeralxempire wrote:

8O Like Jonah? I guess you must get used to the smell after awhile.

I see what you did there/ You're funny. I like it.. Think I might put that one in the back pocket for future interactions. :D

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2023, 4:39 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And, yes, quite a few of us liked our diagnoses because they explained so much of our life.

I was 64 when I got my diagnosis. At my age it is not overly useful. But, when my bride bumps up against one of my Autism traits I enjoy telling her:

:D I have a doctor's note for that!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 7:01 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 9:32 am

Hello Autumn. I am an old Aspie. I hit the 3/4 century mark two months ago. So what can I pass onto you?
Well, the human species is much more complex then currently anyone knows. That is because we have multiple brains. One on the left side of our skull and the other on the right. The left side is normally the dominant brain and exist during the daytime. The right side exist in our sleep state during REM and deep NREM sleep. But for some of us, we are a little different. We died. This can occur before birth, during the birth process or during the childhood years of our existence (around age 12). Our brains can switch places. For me this occurred around age 3 or 4 when I was killed when a large bull attacked me and I died. I stood next to my dead body and saw my parents next to me in utter fear. So I came back but it was my night time brain that came back. This brain is very different than your dominant left side. It is nothing more then a brain flip.

So you are trying to live in a world where you do not quite fit in. That is the reason why. It is almost like you are living in the Wrong Planet. In a way, you are a child of the night.

ChicagoLiz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Nov 2023, 4:02 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!