At least 22 dead in Maine Spree Shooting

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 12:03 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I'm literally posting this from work on a Saturday morning where I'm building AR15s on overtime.

Obviously they will make 'merica a safer place. :ninja:

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 12:25 pm

Dox47 wrote:
I'm literally posting this from work on a Saturday morning where I'm building AR15s on overtime.

Do you ever have thoughts (good, neutral or bad) about what the AR15 you are currently building might be used for? Do you get to test your work with live rounds?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 12:26 pm

It is so beyond bonkers to me how many Americans make posts about getting guns for "protection."

From who? :? What war is going on on US soil? putin invaded Ukraine, not the USA. Israel and hamas are going at it. etc. What boogieman do Americans need to protect themselves from with guns? So bizarre. Feels like this is the end result of some satirical infomercial made in the 1980's on Saturday Night Live or something.. "Guns, y'all need guns.. for.. umm.. protection ? Yeah! Protection! *scene ends with gun manufacturer handing the pitchman a big fat bag of cash*"

What a weird culture. Especially since the opposite of safety has been proven time and time again.. and yet even with an increasing number of high body count mass shootings, Americans are apparently currently buying 1,000,000,000 guns per MONTH. What a s**t show. Won't be too long until it's literally safer to be in some war zones than a bowling alley, shopping mall, school, church or synagogue in the USA.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 12:28 pm

Safer from authoritarian jackasses who think they know what's best for everyone else. Every shift I work is another 1000 or so guns in the hands of the public that aren't coming back without a fight, it's very fulfilling.

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 12:33 pm

The only guns I build that give me any pause are the police contract ones, everything else I'm cool with. Not that I want to get into this stupid game again, but rifles are used in a tiny number of crimes every year, more than offset by their defensive use, so still a net good for society.

- Rick Sanchez

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 12:50 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Safer from authoritarian jackasses who think they know what's best for everyone else. Every shift I work is another 1000 or so guns in the hands of the public that aren't coming back without a fight, it's very fulfilling.

Except there's only been One threat of an authoritarian jackass taking control of the USA since at least the civil war and that's the orange oaf that tried to overthrow the US gov't after he lost the 2020 election & install himself as unelected dictator and he failed and is now in the process of being held accountable by the justice system as punishment for his crimes & deterrence for others to even consider trying to pull a coup.

Further, you don't think ~400,000,000 guns are enough already to prevent an authoritarian dictator taking over your country? :? I guess part of the marketing campaign from the gun industry is that there is no magic number.. only more. :roll:

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 12:52 pm

Dox47 wrote:
The only guns I build that give me any pause are the police contract ones, everything else I'm cool with. Not that I want to get into this stupid game again, but rifles are used in a tiny number of crimes every year, more than offset by their defensive use, so still a net good for society.

Wut? :?

Aren't rifles used for hunting ?

Exceedingly seldom that there are headlines reading "Rifle used in self defence, saves women & children from boogieman." or whatever. Like almost never. They're probably Mostly used for target shooting/shooting range recreation, then crime and violence, and once in a blue moon for some form of self defence.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 1:02 pm

Dox47 wrote:

No game, just curious, I love guns, although I'm not the type of person who should have one :lol:

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 6:28 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Except there's only been One threat of an authoritarian jackass taking control of the USA since at least the civil war and that's the orange oaf that tried to overthrow the US gov't after he lost the 2020 election & install himself as unelected dictator and he failed and is now in the process of being held accountable by the justice system as punishment for his crimes & deterrence for others to even consider trying to pull a coup.

Further, you don't think ~400,000,000 guns are enough already to prevent an authoritarian dictator taking over your country? :? I guess part of the marketing campaign from the gun industry is that there is no magic number.. only more. :roll:

How do you still manage to feed and cloth yourself with 99% of your brain being occupied with his orangeness?

Let's not forget, the same galaxy brain types who thought Trump was literally the 2nd coming of Hitler also thought that the thing to do was make sure only the (Trump controlled) government had guns, just really smart stuff.

Also, as someone who actually works in the gun industry, we're not immune to the laws of supply and demand, which is why we're still largely building AR variants as fast as we can run the machines (our CNC machines run 24/7), that's what people want. Maybe if you knew anything at all about the topic you'd understand why, but I realize that doing even minimal research is asking too much of you.

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 6:33 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Aren't rifles used for hunting ?

Yes, and target shooting, self defense, tactical training, etc. Pistols only exist because rifles are difficult to conceal and handle with one hand, as far as actual capability they excel in every way and are particularly suited to home defense, as the size and concealment issues are less important. As to why you don't see defensive use in the headlines, that has more to do with the makeup of the media and what stories they like to emphasize than actual prevalence, it's murders using rifles that are actually rare as they're difficult to conceal on your person and unsuited for most criminal use.

- Rick Sanchez

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 6:40 pm

Recidivist wrote:
Do you ever have thoughts (good, neutral or bad) about what the AR15 you are currently building might be used for? Do you get to test your work with live rounds?

I'll admit, I do get special enjoyment from building state compliant ARs, those being guns we've slightly modified to comply with stupid blue state gun laws that were clearly written by people who have no clue as to what they're regulating. For example, we make guns for New Jersey, where they can't have threaded muzzles, flash hiders, or adjustable stocks (like I said, these are not smart people), so we weld muzzle breaks to the barrels after we test fire them and pin the adjustable stocks open, otherwise it's the same AR15 we sell everywhere else. I like knowing that us doing so pisses off liberal politicians, we're even able to build and ship ARs to California despite their constant attempts to ban them.

Yes, we do test with live rounds, yes, it's fun, especially the full autos we occasionally build for contracts.

- Rick Sanchez

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 7:04 pm

Dox47 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

How do you still manage to feed and cloth yourself with 99% of your brain being occupied with his orangeness?

Let's not forget, the same galaxy brain types who thought Trump was literally the 2nd coming of Hitler also thought that the thing to do was make sure only the (Trump controlled) government had guns, just really smart stuff.

Also, as someone who actually works in the gun industry, we're not immune to the laws of supply and demand, which is why we're still largely building AR variants as fast as we can run the machines (our CNC machines run 24/7), that's what people want. Maybe if you knew anything at all about the topic you'd understand why, but I realize that doing even minimal research is asking too much of you.

Literally like maybe 2 people who hate trump believe Only the government should have guns wtf? :roll:

I live where we have sensible restrictions on gun ownership. Things like background checks, mandatory training, strict storage, transportation, and usage regulations.. and as a result, very few gun related deaths compared to your country where it’s a virtual free for all; including crazy people with violent tendencies.

I know more than you’d like to believe I do.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 7:52 pm

Shotguns are used more for self defense that say a 30/30 would be in rural areas.
In cities I’d say a handgun would be weapon of choice for home defense.
Everyone here has an old shotgun laying around , probably their grandads .

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 8:39 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
It is so beyond bonkers to me how many Americans make posts about getting guns for "protection."

From who? :? What war is going on on US soil? putin invaded Ukraine, not the USA. Israel and hamas are going at it. etc. What boogieman do Americans need to protect themselves from with guns? So bizarre. Feels like this is the end result of some satirical infomercial made in the 1980's on Saturday Night Live or something.. "Guns, y'all need guns.. for.. umm.. protection ? Yeah! Protection! *scene ends with gun manufacturer handing the pitchman a big fat bag of cash*"

What a weird culture. Especially since the opposite of safety has been proven time and time again.. and yet even with an increasing number of high body count mass shootings, Americans are apparently currently buying 1,000,000,000 guns per MONTH. What a s**t show. Won't be too long until it's literally safer to be in some war zones than a bowling alley, shopping mall, school, church or synagogue in the USA.

SNL? You mean we coulda been using Happy Fun Ball?

The gun obsession is more about toxic masculinity than anything else. I refer to an assault rifle and a giant pickup truck as the "tiny wiener starter pack".

(In all fairness, though, I'm ok with people having a handgun for family protection).

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 2:46 pm