Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2023, 4:28 pm

"A woman felt like an outsider at work. She was diagnosed with autism at age 46."

Quote:
When Sofie Day first started working full-time in her 20s, she began to notice she felt different from everyone around her. Up until then, she never felt she struggled socially. She'd had one close friend at each school, preferred one-on-one interactions, and disliked parties — but she never felt lonely or like an outsider.

Being thrust into office environments changed that. Suddenly, there was pressure to go to happy hour drinks. "I was always hating it," Day, now 49, told Insider.

Everyday workplace interactions were difficult, too. "I didn't know when people used sarcasm towards me," she said. "I would thank people for a compliment that wasn't a compliment, and then there would be laughter."

Hiding her discomfort led to extreme burnout. "I was just fed up and exhausted by encountering the same difficulties of being misunderstood," Day said.

20 years later, in 2019, a friend mentioned that Day exhibited many of the same symptoms as the friend's autistic neighbor. Day, who said she didn't know much about autism outside of the movie "Rain Man," started to research it online.

Patrick22348
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2023, 4:37 pm

I can relate after calling a person in the office very very ugly in the worst way, and subsequently loosing my first job in an office, over a year ago.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 5:21 pm

sounds so familiar. I struggled in work situations for over 50 years, finally got diagnosis after I retired (age 68) What a relief to learn everything that was so hard or painful all those years was not , after all, "all my fault".

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson