Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

tswitz20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Oct 2023, 5:21 am

What is everyone's opinions on Nickelodeon?

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2023, 5:45 am

Too over-reliant on and obsessed with SpongeBob SquarePants!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Oct 2023, 9:14 pm

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
Too over-reliant on and obsessed with SpongeBob SquarePants!
Unfortunately it's like this with lots of TV channels these days. Channels are often showing marathons of the same series most every day & night & they usually keep showing the same few eps in random order ad-nauseam :tired: I don't know why me & lots of others bother paying for cable :shrug:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2023, 7:17 pm

It was good in the 90s and 2000s. Now it sucks.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2023, 7:54 pm

NibiruMul wrote:

I concur.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2023, 3:32 am

NibiruMul wrote:

it could be because of my own nastalga, but imo, 2007 was the last good year for the channel.

after then they seemed to focus on live action tween dramas and nonsensical cartoons

it's always been the case for nickelodeon, but they've always had a few gems in between

examples
rugrats
danny phantom
neds declassified school survival guide

the shows they produce now are for cheap laughs and easily forgotten

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Dec 2023, 12:56 pm

I remember hearing somewhere that Nickelodeon implemented a rule that if a show isn't an instant hit, it won't last more than two seasons. That's probably why most recent Nickelodeon shows (with the exception of The Loud House) have been canceled early. I feel like they want every show to mirror SpongeBob's success.

If this policy is indeed real, it's very unfair and inefficient. Not every show can be an instant hit. Even a lot of long-runners were not instant hits. The Simpsons didn't get big until its second season. (The first season of that show is filled with weird characterizations of the characters that don't match those of later seasons.)

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2023, 12:59 pm

NibiruMul wrote:

Amen!

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 10:17 am

The sad and horrible truth is that SpongeBob SquarePants (or rather the success of SpongeBob SquarePants) ruined Nickelodeon!! !

They need to CANCEL it!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2023, 10:57 am

NibiruMul wrote:

It was good in the '80s and '90s, I didn't watch after the mid '90s, so I don't have much of an opinion.

It used to be a great channel full of really quirky, and at time subversive shows. I recently found some episodes of You Can't Do That on Television online and it's amazing what a show can do when it remembers that a kids show is for kids. The anti-drug episode was probably the most comprehensible show for that purpose that anybody has ever tried to do.

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2023, 7:44 pm

SpongeBob noticeably declined in quality after the fifth season. The sixth, seventh, and eighth seasons contain a lot of bad, unfunny episodes. The ninth season was better than the previous three, but I think SpongeBob has still worn out its welcome.

Fairly OddParents had an even worse seasonal rot than SpongeBob, and possibly one of the worst in all of TV history. A lot of people stopped watching it after Poof was born, but IMO the real decline in quality started around the seventh and eighth seasons, when they started getting rid of almost all of the show's secondary characters so they could focus on Timmy's dad and Mr. Crocker (and later Foop). It declined even more drastically in the last two seasons. In the ninth season, they introduced Sparky the fairy dog, who was not well-received by the fans, to say the least. The tenth and final season introduced Chloe, who broke many of the show's canon rules, such as the rule that fairy godparents were only assigned to miserable children (Chloe lived an implausibly perfect life and was definitely not miserable). The last batch of episodes were animated in cheap-looking Flash. By the time it was canceled permanently in 2018, the show was completely unwatchable.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 3:13 am

There is hope for Nick though next year if the new cartoon "Rock Paper Scissors" performs well AND can prove to be worthy of long-term viewer retention like how SpongeBob SquarePants is currently then Nickelodeon may have found the true successor to SpongeBob!! !! !! !! !

The only way for Nick to get better and fully recover is to drop the sponge!

This is what has to be done

I love SpongeBob SquarePants but there is absolutely NO denying that the show/IP caused a lot of irreversable damage to Nickelodeon!

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 10:45 am

NibiruMul wrote:
SpongeBob noticeably declined in quality after the fifth season. The sixth, seventh, and eighth seasons contain a lot of bad, unfunny episodes. The ninth season was better than the previous three, but I think SpongeBob has still worn out its welcome.

Fairly OddParents had an even worse seasonal rot than SpongeBob, and possibly one of the worst in all of TV history. A lot of people stopped watching it after Poof was born, but IMO the real decline in quality started around the seventh and eighth seasons, when they started getting rid of almost all of the show's secondary characters so they could focus on Timmy's dad and Mr. Crocker (and later Foop). It declined even more drastically in the last two seasons. In the ninth season, they introduced Sparky the fairy dog, who was not well-received by the fans, to say the least. The tenth and final season introduced Chloe, who broke many of the show's canon rules, such as the rule that fairy godparents were only assigned to miserable children (Chloe lived an implausibly perfect life and was definitely not miserable). The last batch of episodes were animated in cheap-looking Flash. By the time it was canceled permanently in 2018, the show was completely unwatchable.

And then they revived it.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 12:42 am

NibiruMul wrote:

100% agree with all of this!! !

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2023, 12:57 am

IDk I guess growing up I watched a number of nickelodeon shows. I remember when I was like very young they had like obstacle courses and such it would have kid contestants run through and such...they do not have that anymore that is for sure and haven't for a long while, but I do remember that from when I was like 5 or 6..

But yeah I guess kids including me liked nickeldeon content, but it certainly changed over time. As for spongebob that show has gone downhill, I still like a lot of the older episodes though.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2024, 7:29 pm

NibiruMul wrote:
I remember hearing somewhere that Nickelodeon implemented a rule that if a show isn't an instant hit, it won't last more than two seasons. That's probably why most recent Nickelodeon shows (with the exception of The Loud House) have been canceled early. I feel like they want every show to mirror SpongeBob's success.

If this policy is indeed real, it's very unfair and inefficient. Not every show can be an instant hit. Even a lot of long-runners were not instant hits. The Simpsons didn't get big until its second season. (The first season of that show is filled with weird characterizations of the characters that don't match those of later seasons.)

Yep

Not to mention SpongeBob SquarePants itself was NOT an instant hit when it first started!

That is one of MANY reasons why I think what Nick has been doing with the IP is so ridiculous!! !

In order for Nickelodeon to actually find the "next SpongeBob" they have to abolish this stupid standard first and stop treating SBSP with VIP status!