Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2023, 4:14 am

Hi - I’m interested in how you keep fit while balancing burnout?

Recently diagnosed autistic, and have 25 years chronic pain with aspects of that likely to be linked to neurodivergence.

I swim as I love it, and also to pain manage.

Swimming has been harder due to recent physical issues… but… I’m now understanding more about my masking and autistic burnout which I often mistook for only being burnout around my physical issues. I work full time, and make adjustments, but sadly it’s not perfect.

Just wondering how you manage as I’m concerned about using up too many spoons of energy to swim, if I need burnout recovery.

Thanks.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 10:57 am

I stuggle with self-awareness, so my approach to things like this tend to be largely trial and error and going real slow. Generally, if I start to think that I should get back to upping x or y, then it's generally a good sign that I am. If I'm not, I'll find out soon enough and go back to resting more and hope it didn't set me back too much. But if the one time goes okay, I might try again later in the week or the next week...try that for a bit and if it keeps going alright, keep slowly upping it until I'm where I want to be or think I need to be or whatever. Maybe not great or helpful advice, but it's the best I got.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 2:25 pm

I have two hernias, one on either side. But, I've had them for over ten years now and they don't interfere with my activities. They have been checked out by three doctors in recent years and when I tell them how long I've had them none of them have suggested surgery.

I tend to ease into activities. I'll do a little at first. Then do more at a later time. I have a lot of stuff and sometimes I need time to find all my stuff to do something. It helps that I'm retired and don't have to rush to do stuff.

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2023, 2:36 pm

FleaOfTheChill wrote:
I stuggle with self-awareness, so my approach to things like this tend to be largely trial and error and going real slow. Generally, if I start to think that I should get back to upping x or y, then it's generally a good sign that I am. If I'm not, I'll find out soon enough and go back to resting more and hope it didn't set me back too much. But if the one time goes okay, I might try again later in the week or the next week...try that for a bit and if it keeps going alright, keep slowly upping it until I'm where I want to be or think I need to be or whatever. Maybe not great or helpful advice, but it's the best I got.

Thanks, that was helpful :D

What you said about self-awareness rings a bell for me. I can often be tempted to do too much when in the pool as I get so much satisfaction from the sensation of swimming - I guess I need to keep that in check by considering how I feel my energy levels are, and up it slowly if/when I find a consistent level.

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2023, 2:42 pm

BTDT wrote:
I have two hernias, one on either side. But, I've had them for over ten years now and they don't interfere with my activities. They have been checked out by three doctors in recent years and when I tell them how long I've had them none of them have suggested surgery.

I tend to ease into activities. I'll do a little at first. Then do more at a later time. I have a lot of stuff and sometimes I need time to find all my stuff to do something. It helps that I'm retired and don't have to rush to do stuff.

Thanks for your reply. What you said about having the time resonates with me, for me it’s not just about swimming but also getting to the pool, getting changed, getting home, having a proper shower… and how much energy just that can take! It’s annoying as work days are busy, and weekends I’m usually recovering.

Suppose the answer is the lottery - and a nice new house with a 25m pool :lol: