Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2023, 9:25 am

Hi folks, newbie here.

Diagnosed last week - which I see as positive. Though I’m also occasionally feeling imposter syndrome which is odd as my assessment report makes sense to my wife and I. I suppose it’s just my adjustment after 45 years, that’s all.

I finally realised why I was, as I had called it, ‘outer circle’ or an ‘actor’ in most situations when I coincidentally did an autism Masters degree in 2017-20 because a Director at work recommended me for it. I also now realise much of my burnout isn’t just because of a chronic pain condition I have, and parts of the condition may be linked to my neurodivergence too.

I learned so much about autism in my degree, and got Distinction, yet feel like I’m discovering it again in a new way by applying it to myself now I know for sure - which isn’t easy as recognising myself internally can be a struggle. But I’m positive and excited to apply this new lens now I know for sure I’m on the spectrum.

I work in social care with people who have a learning disability and are on the spectrum. I feel comfortable for my diagnosis to be known at work, but I am cautious out of work due to the ignorance of others, and really the energy needed to talk about it when people are judging or suspicious. But I’ll be fine if they are open minded. I see there’s no rush and I’ll take my time, case by case.

Anyway, very nice to be here :D :heart:

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2023, 11:28 am

Hi and welcome. I'm also new here, and about to get my assessment.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 11:38 am

Welcome!

Yes, it can be hard to deal with folks who try to deny your diagnosis!

But, knowing can help you recognize bad situations or issues.

I realized I needed to do something about very loud movies, so I bought high fidelity earplugs to bring to theaters.

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2023, 11:56 am

BTDT wrote:
Welcome!

Yes, it can be hard to deal with folks who try to deny your diagnosis!

But, knowing can help you recognize bad situations or issues.

I realized I needed to do something about very loud movies, so I bought high fidelity earplugs to bring to theaters.

Thanks, nice to meet you :)

I hear that (excuse the pun!), i have moulded earplugs from my band days, and used them recently at the theatre, so glad I took them!

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2023, 11:58 am

NowWhatDoIDo wrote:
Hi and welcome. I'm also new here, and about to get my assessment.

Hi, nice to meet you!

Best of luck with your assessment - having loads of notes about my traits through the years really helped me.

I thought I was well prepared for my results, but it has felt different to what I expected since I got it last week, though not at all in a bad way :D

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2023, 12:12 pm

Chiliwailer wrote:

Hi, nice to meet you!

Best of luck with your assessment - having loads of notes about my traits through the years really helped me.

I thought I was well prepared for my results, but it has felt different to what I expected since I got it last week, though not at all in a bad way :D

Oh, I have my entire assessment already completely scripted out in my head, complete with disarming jokes and helpful anecdotes. Doesn't everyone plan ahead to their every meeting? ;-)

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2023, 12:24 pm

NowWhatDoIDo wrote:
Chiliwailer wrote:

Hi, nice to meet you!

Oh, I have my entire assessment already completely scripted out in my head, complete with disarming jokes and helpful anecdotes. Doesn't everyone plan ahead to their every meeting? ;-)

Haha, right you are!

Good luck :wink:

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 12:49 pm

Welcome to WP! I think you'll find it interesting.

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2023, 12:51 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! I think you'll find it interesting.

Thank you!

Love your signature btw, we bought a Chinese takeaway to celebrate :)

ChicagoLiz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2023, 1:21 pm

Welcome!

It's so interesting to see how you danced around it with your training -- and the fact that your boss suggested it! -- and now you are in a better position to understand yourself and sympathize (sorry, you're British: sympathise) with your clients at work. It feels like a spiral, coming round and round again, each time a little closer to the center.

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2023, 1:30 pm

ChicagoLiz wrote:
Welcome!

It's so interesting to see how you danced around it with your training -- and the fact that your boss suggested it! -- and now you are in a better position to understand yourself and sympathize (sorry, you're British: sympathise) with your clients at work. It feels like a spiral, coming round and round again, each time a little closer to the center.

Hey, thanks!

I like the spiral vision you mentioned - I definitely think that my being on the spectrum has helped me to tune in pretty well to many people I have supported, and the more I get to know them, and autism, it does feel like getting closer to the center! (Or centre in British :lol: )

ChicagoLiz

28 Oct 2023, 2:14 pm

:lol:

Ta!

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Oct 2023, 4:32 pm

Chiliwailer wrote:
ChicagoLiz wrote:
Welcome!

Hey, thanks!

I like the spiral vision you mentioned - I definitely think that my being on the spectrum has helped me to tune in pretty well to many people I have supported, and the more I get to know them, and autism, it does feel like getting closer to the center! (Or centre in British :lol: )

My current therapist is autistic, and I truly believe that has helped me more than anything. When I tell her about my experiences, I don't have to explain them. She already gets it. I think you'll do great with this.

Chiliwailer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Oct 2023, 12:41 am

NowWhatDoIDo wrote:
Chiliwailer wrote:
ChicagoLiz wrote:
Welcome!

Hey, thanks!

My current therapist is autistic, and I truly believe that has helped me more than anything. When I tell her about my experiences, I don't have to explain them. She already gets it. I think you'll do great with this.

Thank you, I often find that I understand things like stress/anxiety, preferences, and overloads much better than the neurotypical staff, so I strive to create more low arousal approaches and respect their ‘autistic culture’ as opposed to expecting them to be more neurotypical. This is important, as I work in behaviour support and I analyse behaviour and then coach staff - and for those that know, this can be a controversial area in autism (thank heavens I quickly learned to stay away from well known aversive and disrespectful approaches, but that’s another rant for another thread I think…).

Really good to hear your therapist is autistic and gets it, I might also explore finding the same too next year.

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Oct 2023, 3:26 am

Welcome to WP!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 11:26 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

It seems like you are at the beginning of your journey. It is much more complex then you realize. It is somewhat like an endless rabbit hole. It is a mystery within a mystery within a mystery. The human brain structure is much more complex than currently believed.