Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 1:07 pm

Off the top of my head - bikes and socks

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 1:10 pm

About 20 years ago someone broke into my car and stole my minidisc player out of my glove box. I could never afford to get another one that was as good. I still miss it. I loved minidisc.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 2:06 pm

Recidivist

A couple of my bikes got stolen a couple of years ago

Were your socks really expensive or at least in the package? Why would anyone steal socks?

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 2:41 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Recidivist

A couple of my bikes got stolen a couple of years ago

Were your socks really expensive or at least in the package? Why would anyone steal socks?

Bike theft sucks :(

The worst bike theft I had was when I had a bad leg so could barely walk and my bike was essential to get to the shops. I didn't have a lock and thought it would be fine to lay my bike on the ground while I limped into the shop. When I came out I could see the thief riding off, if I hadn't had a bad leg I probably could have easily caught them, I had a tin of soup in my hand and I 'Crocodile Dundeed' it at the thief , it missed by a mile.

The socks were cheap bog standard teenager socks, they were stolen from my bag on a school winter activity holiday, probably by someone who didn't pack enough.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 3:18 pm

Oh f*****g hell I come from a family of thieves who used to steal from everyone including family members.
My brother used to steal my dinner money and my mother would buy me clothes and then sell them or give them to my brother to sell.

I also lived in quite a few children's homes where anything would get stolen including clothes and shoes.

I've also been in hostels where your stuff would go missing if you didn't nail it down.

I have ptsd over this because I literally will not leave anything I own on its own because imo everyone is a thief.

People will take anything sometimes and yes this includes socks.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 9:47 pm

Oh bloody hell, my mom used to steal from me as a kid and so did one of her boyfriends...money, stuff, did not matter. I regret never having a dead bolt on my bedroom door back then. Most recent thing? My one ex stole money from me. I've also been robbed as an adult, a b&e thing. Caught the last guy who tried though and beat the crap out of him. Theft is pretty common in my world.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2023, 10:14 pm

My bike was stolen from the high school bike racks when I was in Year 9. From then on I had to take the bus which was hell. In that year I also had my whole school bag stolen from outside a classroom. I had to use up my savings to buy another one plus the stationery I needed.

My housemate had her bike stolen from her garage. It was a top quality bike too, so the theft made her angry and sad.

When I lived alone I had the petrol siphoned out of my car. They broke the fuel cap but I managed to glue it back together and it's still fine now.

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2023, 2:12 am

About a decade ago, my house got ransacked by theives.
They took everything valuable, foreign currency (a pre decimal Malaysian ringgit, that in good condition would have been worth 10k) stamps, jewlery.
I got back around 10% of the value from insurance, however, the things that was most valuable to me was a digital camera, a hard drive and a low end laptop.
The camera and hard drive contained most of my childhood milestone videos and pictures.
The laptop had all of m ameture writings, everything from diary entries to short stories. Even my first attempts at fanfiction stories with accompanying digital art.

This is why I am obsessive about backing everything up, now every file I create is in atleast 4 different locations.