Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Oct 2023, 10:27 pm

Does anyone else just not watch TV?

I don't think it's wrong. I didn't watch a lot of TV growing up. I don't want to deal with the cost of cable and the varied streaming services. There's plenty of good free content on YouTube too.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 10:35 pm

I don't think I've really watched TV since Family Guy was cancelled.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2023, 11:31 pm

I don't watch network television. I have access to it but I don't want to.

I watch DVD's now and again, which uses a television.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 8:10 am

In the UK you need a TV licence to actually watch broadcast transmissions on television. This has also been extended to include certain 'catch-up' broadcasts on the internet.

I actually cancelled my TV licence three years ago, as I wasn't watching enough programmes to justify the cost (around £150 per year). There was also the fact that the proceeds of the licence fee goes to the BBC, an organization which is supposed to represent the interests and viewpoints of the whole population, but in recent years has become increasingly a mouthpiece for 'progressive' opinions, especially in the field of news and current affairs. It is part of their policy, for example, to deny a platform for any expression of scepticism on 'climate change', no matter how well informed or articulate that may be.

I now only use my TV sets to watch DVDs or VHS tapes. YouTube is fine for all other purposes.

Recidivist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 9:22 am

DeepHour wrote:
In the UK you need a TV licence to actually watch broadcast transmissions on television. This has also been extended to include certain 'catch-up' broadcasts on the internet.

This was a huge overreach in my opinion and completely bollocks. I never had a problem when it was just BBC stuff (i.e it funded the BBC).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 9:52 am

I watch the local news, Jeopardy, and then switch to cable news. And cable news is like the wallpaper in the background the rest of the day.

I keep telling myself I should get hip to what every one else is watching and watch sitcoms...like the "O Conners" (the new Roseannae show without Roseanne Barr), or that "Ghost" sitcom that looks kinda cute from the teasers.

But you get more...more of both drama and comedy in the latest news from capital hill...about the non functioning Congress and the latest news about Trump than you could hope to find on any scripted TV show. So why watch anything else but cable news?

And yes...Utube steals my eyes from the living room TV set to the desk top computer a lot too.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 10:04 am

I don't own a television, and I have no intention of changing that. Tv has never really interested me (most movies don't much interest me either). It always seemed like a million channels with nothing much worth watching. I do watch things on youtube though. I like being able to search out whatever might of interest to me and going down rabbit holes there now and then.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Oct 2023, 10:37 am

naturalplastic wrote:
And cable news is like the wallpaper in the background the rest of the day.

That sounds unwise for your mental health.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 10:44 am

DeepHour wrote:

I actually cancelled my TV licence three years ago, as I wasn't watching enough programmes to justify the cost (around £150 per year). There was also the fact that the proceeds of the licence fee goes to the BBC, an organization which is supposed to represent the interests and viewpoints of the whole population, but in recent years has become increasingly a mouthpiece for 'progressive' opinions, especially in the field of news and current affairs. It is part of their policy, for example, to deny a platform for any expression of scepticism on 'climate change', no matter how well informed or articulate that may be.

I now only use my TV sets to watch DVDs or VHS tapes. YouTube is fine for all other purposes.

I agree with your view on the BBC. I do not like them at all.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 1:40 pm

When I saw the subject of this post, "Don't Watch TV?", I thought it was referring to watching recorded images. Stream services, paid and free, YouTube, Cable, Satellite, free over the air broadcasts are all recorded moving images. So I thought "Ah! Here is a post about recorded audio, whether that be news, music, plays, podcasts." I thought that because I was literally just revisiting a site for the CBS Radio Mystery Theater and I was wondering where on Wrong Planet we post stuff like that? Whether it is viewed on a monitor with a computer decoding and displaying the content, or a television where a signal is decoded by a built in computer and displayed on technology not unlike that of a monitor, it is all the same. Only the creation source of the recorded signal is different.

There are people that do not watch television, or streaming content. My ex-wife for instance. She has watched television, but day to day, she doesn't. She doesn't own a television and sometimes she doesn't own a computer. I'm not sure if she has a computer now or not. I don't think she does, because she recently used our oldest son's computer to do some online stuff.

Anyway, this is Television, Film, and Video does not cover radio or more generally audio media. I will keep looking, although it may be a waste of time. (I'm in a grumpy mood. Sorry.)

I have to say that I've enjoyed reading about the BBC here. It was interesting.

Last edited by pcgoblin on 31 Oct 2023, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 1:42 pm

Weight Of Memory wrote:
Does anyone else just not watch TV?

I don't think it's wrong. I didn't watch a lot of TV growing up. I don't want to deal with the cost of cable and the varied streaming services. There's plenty of good free content on YouTube too.

I didn't watch it a lot when I was a kid because I used to play out a lot. These days the TV is always on as long as I'm at home. I love it.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2023, 6:01 pm

Maybe 1-2 days I year I'll sit down and watch TV for a bit. Otherwise no. It's something I did when I was dating/living with a partner, just as an excuse to curl up with them on the sofa. But I get bored just sat there on my own watching the screen. I'd rather listen to a podcast or music while doing something else.