New and introducing myself - hello all

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SomeOddChap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2023, 11:49 am

Hello all,

I don’t really know where to start.

Basic info - I’m a man living in London approaching 30, and I suspect I have Asperger’s - are those not officially diagnosed welcome on the forum?

Why am I here? - We’ll I’ve always felt different, and only more so as the years have gone on. Half a life time ago I took the AQ test and scored above 30, completely unexpectedly. Since then read lots of books on the subject, watched videos, read articles etc etc and it does sound like me a lot (well, some areas of it).

Fast forward a few years, got married at 20, my wife thought within days of living together I must have Asperger’s.

Never felt I properly connected with people or found others like me, realised that I’d been masking ever since I can remember (like 4) as when I spoke my mind adults and other children would tell me I was essentially weird.

Sometimes they would be impressed as they saw me as intelligent, but I learned pretty quickly to not be myself around anyone (of course I couldn’t completely hide myself, it spills out here and there).

So I have felt quite lonely and isolated, compounded by the fact that since my mid-teens I developed a neurological condition that keeps me essentially housebound and dealing with a lot of physically difficult symptoms.

I don’t really know anyone, so I feel it is harder to compare myself to others (or rather NT and ND folks) to determine who I seem to be more ‘like’.

Anyway, I came across this forum and thought this would be a start.

Excuse me if my replies are very delayed - due to my aforementioned health issues.

We’ll, I didn’t really know what to write to begin with so I guess I’ll stop here!

Thanks

BillyTree
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Oct 2023, 12:44 pm

Welcome to the Wrong Planet!

SomeOddChap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2023, 1:24 pm

BillyTree wrote:
Welcome to the Wrong Planet!

Thank you!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 1:29 pm

Hello.

Snowybird
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Oct 2023, 4:18 pm

Hi there, I think you did well for someone who didn't know where to start with your introduction.

I'm fairly certain that all are welcome here - diagnosed or undiagnosed. (However, someone well-versed could also clarify).

Welcome to WP! I am also new here. I hope you're able to settle in and feel like you belong somewhere, too.

-Snowy

~Snowy

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 4:46 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope it continues to interest you for a long time.

Quote:
Basic info - I’m a man living in London approaching 30, and I suspect I have Asperger’s - are those not officially diagnosed welcome on the forum?
My understanding is that you can be welcome here even if you know for a fact that you are NT. An interest in Autism is appropriate...and manners. So, welcome!

Regarding your AQ score...there is also Broad Autism Phenotype (I think of it as "almost Autistic").

And there are other things that are not Autism but share some the same traits with it.

It's complicated!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2023, 5:53 pm

I don't have an official diagnosis and haven't been chased off the forum.
It would have cost $1500 when I joined this forum many years ago.
I currently identify as transgender as I have the appearance, mannerisms, and voice of a petite woman.
I had great difficulty socializing as a guy because my appearance was in the uncanny valley between genders.
I can now socialize with ease presenting as a woman, but have many shared experiences with those on this forum, so it is very easy to empathize with their struggles as I have been there.
I also have some gifts that are commonly associated with autism.
I've learned that it is best to keep them secret to strangers as they make normal people nervous unless they know you.

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Oct 2023, 7:00 pm

Hi and welcome!

I am also self-diagnosed, although I have the affirmation from a therapist. I am supposed to get an official assessment next month. So far, no one has checked my badge to confirm or deny my place here ;-)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 2:53 pm

Hi and welcome to the site. I am sorry to hear that you developed some medical condition, "since my mid-teens I developed a neurological condition that keeps me essentially housebound".

From what I can tell many Aspies have strange problems or you might even call defects that accompanies our condition. But we also have strange abilities that most NTs do not possess. The best advice is to know what they are and use your +s to overcome your -s.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 6:54 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

What is this neurological condition you have?
I've had tonic-clonic epilepsy since I was 8 and over the course of time,
have accepted it as a part of my human essence, the same with being on the spectrum since I was 13.

ChicagoLiz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Nov 2023, 4:01 pm

Welcome to the forum. There are those who first posted while suspecting but not knowing, and who have now gotten an official diagnosis, and others who still don't have one. Often for the reason you point out: ridiculous cost! So, yes, as long as you abide by the forum rules, you're welcome here.

SomeOddChap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Nov 2023, 7:04 pm

Snowybird wrote:
Hi there, I think you did well for someone who didn't know where to start with your introduction.

I'm fairly certain that all are welcome here - diagnosed or undiagnosed. (However, someone well-versed could also clarify).

Welcome to WP! I am also new here. I hope you're able to settle in and feel like you belong somewhere, too.

-Snowy

Apologies for the late reply and thank you for the welcome

SomeOddChap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Nov 2023, 7:05 pm

NowWhatDoIDo wrote:
Hi and welcome!

I am also self-diagnosed, although I have the affirmation from a therapist. I am supposed to get an official assessment next month. So far, no one has checked my badge to confirm or deny my place here ;-)

Sorry for such a late reply, health hasn’t been great. I hope the assessment goes well and you find some answers! I think we are all looking for answers.

SomeOddChap
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Nov 2023, 7:08 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

What is this neurological condition you have?
I've had tonic-clonic epilepsy since I was 8 and over the course of time,
have accepted it as a part of my human essence, the same with being on the spectrum since I was 13.

Again, as mentioned to others, sorry for the late response (health issues). ME/CFS and some comorbidities. Yes, it’s very much apart of my life.

Acceptance is very important.

Campingbare
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2023, 8:13 pm

Welcome!

I can empathize with your ME/CFS. I have CAEBV. Chronic Active Epstein-Barre Virus. It's like having permanent mono. The severity ebbs and flows, but basically my body can't effectively fight the virus. I have been enjoying a recent respite (even did some backpacking last week), but I'll get over the respite eventually and be ultra fatigued again along with you. Yay team?

Meyer-Briggs: INTP Comorbidities: Narcolepsy, NPD, Alexithemia, Dyspraxia, Prosopagnosia, Anomia, IBS
........................If God meant for us to go around naked, we'd have been born that way........................

softlyspeaks41
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Nov 2023, 11:17 pm

Hello and nice to meet you. Yes if you're not officially diagnosed you are more than welcome here