What’s your favourite sensory/fidget item?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 7:59 pm

I’m fairly new to sensory and fidget toys, so I thought I would ask everybody what sort of weird and wonderful things there are out there that help you.

At the moment I just have a blue/purple galaxy spinner which I like a lot. It helps me when I’m feeling anxious and when I feel like I’m going to start ruminating. I also bought a little cube that has various things on each side, but it’s bulky, so I don’t take it outside.

Comet Zed
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 9:03 pm

I have a metal cube spinner and a couple of random things like a short bolt and screw, but I tend to really use whatever is around me (pens, glasses, keys), or failing that my top lip.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2023, 10:09 pm

Fidget cube and "game pad" are two of my favorites.

I also love my fidget slug. And textured tangles seem like they'd be nice too. (I only have a regular tangle.) I love pop-its.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2023, 10:15 pm

I love cigarette lighters even though I do not smoke. Bic ones specifically

I usually just play with it absent mindedly when in a heavy social situation like a bus or the rare time I go to a party

I can either spin it like a spinner, play with the metal spark thing (don't know what it is called) or just simply push the gas button and hear it whisper

I also have a plain black spinner but I don't use it much as I find it draws too much attention

As a kid i had a finger skateboard that i could roll arround and do tricks with. Haven't used it in a while but it's still there.

The biggest issue I find, is being able to fidget without looking anxious, because people knowing that I'm anxious makes me more anxious if that makes sense. I usually tell people that I like to keep my hands busy, which i think is a normal thing to do.

GreenVelvetWorm
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2023, 3:05 am

Seconding the fidget slug, I have three in different sizes and they feel wonderful. Any time I hand one to someone, they're enchanted by it.

I also enjoy jars filled with cool looking substances. I made one filled half with mineral oil, and half with water that has mica powder and blue dye mixed in. It's really relaxing to just sit and swish it around. For a simpler version, just a jar filled with water and glitter can also be really nice

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 4:55 am

I’ll have to look up that slug and see if it’s something I might like. I’ve seen the jars on YouTube, and I know that is something that I would love, as I had a lava lamp as a kid and I would watch it for hours.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2023, 7:19 pm

1) My big, beautiful, wonderful, kickass ponytail

2) Cracking my right thumb knuckle

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2023, 7:35 pm

Closest would just be tac-its.

Otherwise; my hair, my fingers...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 4:03 pm

I have been adding to my Sensory/Fidget toys
- ONO Fidget Roller
- Fidget Cube which is warn out
- 2 Fidget Spinners "one of the Spinners the center bearing makes noise"
- OT Sensory integration brush "Got a 3-pack because had surgery this year on my left leg and as the nerves grow back they are SENSITIVE as can be and add in Sensory Processing Disorder"
- 20 Inch Rocker board "Had to do Physical therapy for the leg and I liked doing the rocker board I got my own."
- 3D Pin Art Board Toy (6 x 8 inches) Black/Green

There are a few more that are on my wishlist 2 types of the liquid timers, a chewie I am a big chewer,

On my Tablet PC I have some Sensory Videos that I like

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 4:14 pm

That’s quite a list Markitzero. I’m going to look up that brush.

I noticed that both ladies said their hair and fingers. Do you think that’s because women tend to mask more than men, and so their fidgets blend as well?

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 6:25 pm

DirkGently69 wrote:

I noticed that both ladies said their hair and fingers. Do you think that’s because women tend to mask more than men, and so their fidgets blend as well?

Here is what I am talking about but I got mine from Ebay a generic version
https://www.amazon.com/Sensory-Brush-Ba ... 135&sr=8-1

I stopped masking a few months ago after masking for over 15 years to the point were it was automatic, I still notice my brain is still trying to mask unmasking for me have been a process finding out what stims I like and what fidgets I like.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 6:31 pm

I have a Wilbarger brush too. I don't use it much but it's very stimmy.

I don't use any other commercially-produced sensory things, but just tons of my own homemade stuff.

I tried buying chew toys for autism but none of them were as good as stuff I chew on my own.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 7:40 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I have a Wilbarger brush too. I don't use it much but it's very stimmy.

I don't use any other commercially-produced sensory things, but just tons of my own homemade stuff.

I tried buying chew toys for autism but none of them were as good as stuff I chew on my own.

About 2 months ago I didn't have them, The reason why I got the brushes is because I had to have pins put in for a fibula break that I kept getting a medical run around for almost a month because my primary sent me to the wrong place so by the time I got to see ortho the bone was misaligned and not healing. The area were they cut in after healing and was able to take Cast and Camboot off it was VERY Sensitive and me having SPD"Sensory Processing Disorder" it would not get better so I am doing brushing at the area morning and night and putting Lotion with Aloe on it also.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 7:42 pm

Ouch! I hope it helps!

It was suggested to me by my OT for Sensory Integration Disorder causing Interoception problems.
Basically I had to learn where my body was by waking up the skin.

I have SPD too.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2023, 9:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Ouch! I hope it helps!

It was suggested to me by my OT for Sensory Integration Disorder causing Interoception problems.
Basically I had to learn where my body was by waking up the skin.

I have SPD too.

It is, When I got the camboot off one person at Ortho warned me that the skin will be as fresh as baby skin and ya it was very sensitive.

Elgee
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2023, 10:50 pm

DirkGently69 wrote:

Actually, I do my hair stimming (sniffing it aggressively, vocal sounds while sniffing, and talking ABOUT it in different voices) in private. However, I've recently begun pressing a wad of it to my nose for some discreet sniffing at the gym in the moments before I perform a deadlift set. When one is about to do a deadlift, they can "get away" with doing weird things in the moments before.

The knuckle, I do in private. Other finger stimming if my mouth is involved, always in private. I rock in private.