Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

jamie0.0
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Nov 2023, 7:13 pm

What tv shows got cancelled on a cliffhanger that deserve a propper ending?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2023, 7:43 pm

Stargate: Universe.

The final episode involved all but one crewmember entering stasis pods for a 3-year trip to a neighboring galaxy.

Did they arrive safely?

What did they discover?

Did the lone crewmember survive 3 years on minimal rations and life-support?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ocean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2023, 1:07 pm

the last man on earth...the show ended with the main characters finding a large group of people...i really wanted to know what was gonna happen

about an alien corpse
im the one who brought
the truth to the light

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2023, 6:13 pm

Twin Peaks very famously cancelled on a cliffhanger at the end of season 2. But not really because Fire Walk With Me sort of kept it going and then of course there was The Return a few years back, but it was a very different show by then.

Far less famously there was a UK Sci fi kids show in the 1980s called The Tripods that was based on a trilogy of books. They made two seasons which corresponded with the first two books and never made the third one.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 5:30 pm

Witches of East End, I loved this show, it was on when my mom died 10 years ago.

swrider
Raven
Raven

22 Nov 2023, 5:44 pm

Fnord wrote:
Stargate: Universe.

The final episode involved all but one crewmember entering stasis pods for a 3-year trip to a neighboring galaxy.

Did they arrive safely?

What did they discover?

Did the lone crewmember survive 3 years on minimal rations and life-support?

Supposedly there's is a new show or movie in the works that promises to wrap up this story line.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2023, 7:45 pm

Final Space was cancelled after three seasons which was the Show's original halfway point. The creator intends to finish it with a one shot graphic novel, who knows how that'll turn out because the show was written off on the company's taxes. You can't watch it ever again.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2023, 4:12 pm

Twelve Forever.

I understand why, the animation studio shut down, but still it's a shame.

For those unfamiliar, Twelve Forever was a show where the main character Reggie doesn't want to grow up. She escapes to a magical Island with her friends. The Island changes depending on its inhabitants - in this case, based on Reggie's mind. However, the main downside is that if you stay on the Island for too long, you gradually lose your mind and forget who you were before coming to the Island.

The artstyle is similar to Adventure Time but it is set in the 2000's.

In the last episode, it's pretty obvious that they were counting on another season. After a fight with the main villain, Reggie has a realisation on how she should deal with the 'butt-witch'. This causes the world to change and in the distance a new Island appears.

We never get to find out what the Island is about! I'm still disappointed that I'll never know what direction they were going with this. What was going to be on that Island? It annoys me to no end that I'll never know.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2023, 4:30 pm

Duckman - A part 2 to the Season 4 finale was never formally planned, but still...

Also the Show's creator passed away.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Dec 2023, 3:49 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Duckman - A part 2 to the Season 4 finale was never formally planned, but still...

Also the Show's creator passed away.
I was gonna mention that show. The DVD extra mentioned that it got canceled due to becoming too expensive to make. IDK WTF they decided to end it a crazy soap-opera way 8O

I'll add :arrow:

The PJs~ In the last ep Thurgood got drunk & had sex with his wife's sister Bebe by mistake because Bebe was sleeping in his & his wife's Muriel's bed after Bebe got in a fight with her long-term boyfriend. Bebe got pregnant & Muriel said for them to get a paternity test & that she would divorce Thurgood if he was the father. The test said he was not the father & it ended with showing the fetus which looked like Thurgood implying the test was wrong.

Special Unit 2~ Around the end of the series the unit started realizing there was something like a conspiracy that was directing/encouraging the problematic links & had caused the death of Nick's previous partner.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2023, 10:31 pm

These are some series I saw smothered to death by cancellation in "real time." Mulberry was the first series I remember being really disappointed about not returning to PBS after the BBC canceled it. That was in the 1990s.

Mulberry
Alphas
Pushing Daisies
Avenue 5

These are series where I bought the DVD set, knowing it was not finished.

The Middleman (Maybe not a cliffhanger (???), but it ends abruptly with unresolved points. When I watch the DVD, it always feels incomplete.)
Wonderfalls
Joan of Arcadia

I would consider adding Firefly, but it continued with the movie Serenity. I'm not saying a longer series would not have been nice, but they had an opportunity to tie up the story. There were also comics.

Dead Like Me was cancelled after not completing some of the stories.

There are probably more.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2023, 12:41 am

swrider wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Stargate: Universe.  The final episode involved all but one crewmember entering stasis pods for a 3-year trip to a neighboring galaxy.  Did they arrive safely?  What did they discover?  Did the lone crewmember survive 3 years on minimal rations and life-support?
Supposedly there's is a new show or movie in the works that promises to wrap up this story line.
I have been reading statements like this for the last 12 years.  Then, when I dig deep enough, I find no basis for the claim other than someone else's wishful thinking.

However . . .

In 2017 a comic titled Stargate Universe: Back To Destiny arrived, which picked up from the show's cliffhanger.  It opened with Colonel Young, being awakened from his pod by Eli and a group of unknown characters.  In a flashback, Eli's various failed attempts to fix his pod are shown, but he managed to buy himself a further ten weeks of life support.

Eli then discovers there are more pods hidden on the Destiny, which is how he discovers these surprise new characters.  The rest of the Stargate Universe comic plays out this mystery.  The canonicity of this comic is debatable since none of the original creative team was involved, but with little to no chance of a third season, this is probably the only resolution fans will receive.

Read the full article  HERE 

Read the SGU comic  HERE 

Note that the SGU comic is NOT canon -- it is not an official sequel. But it is still a good story.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Dec 2023, 6:56 am

pcgoblin wrote:
I would consider adding Firefly, but it continued with the movie Serenity. I'm not saying a longer series would not have been nice, but they had an opportunity to tie up the story. There were also comics.
I woulda mentioned it if they didn't make the movie. It woulda been a lot better if instead of the movies there was a 2nd season & they knew early into making it that it would end. The movie wasn't able to explain everything well probably partly due to the time limit. The story was rushed & Shepherd's background was not really explained. This is a classic case of Fox setting a show up to fail before suddenly canceling it. I think it premiered on Sunday night primetime slot, aired the 2nd ep a week later at same time, then moved the show to a weeknight primetime slot, a couple weeks later they changed the night & time it aired, then canceled it & took it off the air before the last few eps aired. Considering the expense & effort that goes into creating & making a new series, it makes NO sense to create what could be a great show with the intention of not giving it a decent chance.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2024, 5:45 pm

Lockwood & Co.

For those unfamiliar, Lockwood & Co was a Netflix adaptation of the book series. Despite its popularity, reaching the top 10 in the UK, unfortunately it didn't reach Netflix's streaming number expectations so it only had one season.

Which is a shame. It had excellent dialogue. Good sound mixing. The actors conveyed the characters well. Great special effects. The exposition felt natural. Good pacing. I liked that the setting felt lived in rather than just an airbrushed version of London.

The main plot was tied up nicely. I liked that the story was focused and concise. However, elements that were going to be explored in the future, that were brought up in the series, obviously didn't reach their full conclusion due to the fact it was cut short.

On the plus side, the adaptation rarely diverges much from the source material. So I'm reading the book series to find out the conclusion. I do have issues with some of the main character's internal dialogue, but the story is enjoyable enough that I can look past it.