Social media sites for NTs and NDs are different

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 4:27 pm

r@y wrote:
I've read this many times. It's sad to me, because if the governments, big news agencies etc. had taken this chance to move everything to Mastodon and leave Twitter, Instagram etc., the world would have maybe had a chance of going to **** less rapidly. But the way it happened Mastodon stayed a place for NDs who often felt superior and also often rightfully happy to have a place for themselves.

Mastodon would probably be ruined if governments etc. went to it. Personally I like hiding in a corner of the internet and not having millions of people interacting, that's my nightmare tbh.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 4:28 pm

r@y wrote:
babybird wrote:
Is it actually site set up for ND folk?

No, but folklore says it was set up by ND folk. So it just happened to suit their needs and developed its own culture that way. By accident more than by design.

I wonder if it's because of the stereotype that computer geniuses tend to be ND and it was them who set up Mastodon with all their computer wizardry of instances. And therefore it attracted ND people.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 4:31 pm

babybird wrote:
Like with me for example. I'm not educated really and I struggle with reading and comprehension and I talk usually in layman's terms and most of the time I get by and most people I can get along with and there are no barriers but every now and then I'm really smart and it kind of almost physically shocks people. Now some people like it but some people absolutely f*****g hate it because all of a sudden I've outsmarted them and made them feel stupid whereas before I was the stupid one and they were kind of happy to feel superior. Some people feel offended by this and confused when in reality said nothing to offend anyone.

I think it's kind of like that with me but the other way round in a way. I am pretty eloquent and educated, I can talk well, but then every so often I slip up socially or have a melt down and people think 'why is this eloquent, educated person suddenly being rude/ acting like a child?' And hastily move away from me. I think I need to start out less eloquently.

Sorry that sounds like I'm really up my own arse!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 4:54 pm

You don't come across as being up your own arse to me. If you did I wouldn't speak to you.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 5:48 pm

I don’t really do social media either, but are there any other good forum type sites like WP?

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 9:22 am

I know there is another autistic forum somewhere but I can't remember the name. I'll stick with this one for now. Maybe someone else will remember the name of that other one.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 9:24 am

DirkGently69 wrote:
I don’t really do social media either, but are there any other good forum type sites like WP?

There is https://www.autismforums.com, though some users here have expressed a dislike of it.

It isn't particularly active.

There are quite a few threads there bashing WP :lol:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 9:30 am

babybird wrote:
You don't come across as being up your own arse to me. If you did I wouldn't speak to you.

Thanks! :P

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 9:30 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
There is https://www.autismforums.com, though some users here have expressed a dislike of it.

It isn't particularly active.

There are quite a few threads there bashing WP :lol:

Oh that's a red flag to me. If a site has a lot of threads bashing other sites, haven't they got anything better to talk about?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 9:59 am

I only go on one other forum for help with my dissociative disorders and and it's as slow as molasses but the people who do post are really cool and helpful. I was a member of an antisocial pd forum but I got banned for being antisocial believe it or not. It's since been closed down.

I only need one autism forum so I'll stick with this.

I struggle with social media platforms like X and mastodon. I think it's because I struggle to read sometimes so i lose my patience.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 10:16 am

Have you tried the Darken extension online Babybird? I spend most of my time peering at documents so I use Darken for the internet. It makes it white writing on black background so it rests my eyes.

I like Mastodon because the comments don't whiz by at top speed, they go nice and slow. I can't keep up with high speed social media, I'm a tortoise not a hare.

Esme
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2023, 5:54 am

Would definitely recommend darken. I'm dyslexic and find it helps with reading and taking in written information (I have everything dark mode if possible).

I hadn't heard of Mastodon until now. I'm on FB and a couple of other social media sites, but rarely use them as I don't like the constant mess of information that you described. I'll have to check that out!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 6:09 am

I have not heard of these sites except Twitter. I can't think what an ND or an NT site difference would be at the moment because a site for ND people would vary so much from one individual to the next there would not be a one site suits all, and this is probably the same for NT individuals, as some may be hampered by certain site designs and others will not be and love the site.

Is this forum classed as social media? Never have got an uncerstanding on what "Social" means, as what people imply it means and if one looks up the word are different things and just adds to the confusion!
I have had many a lady ask me where I socialize when not in work. I don't know what to tell them as I don't know what socialize is, so I tell them this, and they say "Which pub do you go to". I reply "I don't go to pubs". So they ask "How do you spend your evenings?" I say " I go home from work and I spend my evenings at home" and they look daft at me like I am from another planet!

Is not that I don't like to do things as I do. I love to do things, but my idea of doing things is practical. Such as exploring a beach or a castle. I don't see why people want to hang out with lots of other people? Sure, I would love the company of a girlfriend to explore with me... But I never seem to get asked out!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 7:49 am

Yes I have everything on Darken.

On Mastodon most people are laughing at themselves for being such geeks, but we all know we are.

What_in_the_what_now
Raven
Raven

27 Jan 2024, 10:43 am

babybird wrote:
Yeah it is interesting. I think that ND people fully understand NT people but NT people struggle to understand ND people.

I dont think this is fair, we dont know if the NT are indeed NT, unless they tell us. We are assuming something about people who are just as varied as we are. We have no idea what they are going through, experiencing, masking or camouflaging. It's not helpful or kind to split people into dichotomies that have monolithic presentations.

And that we understand them fully but not the other way around.