Social media sites for NTs and NDs are different

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 11:26 am

I'm on Mastodon and it is becoming very clear to me that it is a place for ND, LGBTQ and other 'minorities'. So many of my friends from Twitter have joined Mastodon and been mystified how to communicate and engage with people.

Whereas for me and the other autists on there, it's warm, welcoming and free of social climbers. I haven't seen anyone trying to gain followers, saying '1000 people follow me now, thank you so much' or similar. Other people have remarked on how some accounts on Mastodon try their best to 'create content' 'attract followers' etc. and it falls flat. There's no algorithm showing us things it thinks we should like. There's no way to be popular on Mastodon unless people actually like you.

The communication differences are VERY pronounced. People who enjoy Mastodon find communicating easy, even me! Yet people from other social media seem not to understand how to communicate there. I'm mystified about what the problem is, but it's definitely two opposing feelings with no middle ground. People either love it or hate it.

The ones who can't communicate on Mastodon go scurrying back to Twitter, or move to Threads or Blue Sky. I don't understand why but I presume they are more mainstream with conventional ways of communicating.

Very interesting!

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 11:44 am

Yeah it is interesting. I think that ND people fully understand NT people but NT people struggle to understand ND people. Even the NT who has the best will in the world still struggle with this.

And also people seem to forget that even high functioning autistic people are still autistic and low functioning NT people are still NT and vice versa. Make of that what you will I'm just rambling.

r@y
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2023, 11:46 am

I do love Mastodon. But I have seen many on the middle ground. :D

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 11:54 am

I suppose we've been bombarded all our lives with NT ways of doing things so it's kind of brainwashed us. But NTs haven't been bombarded with ND ways of doing things so they are mystified by us.

It just clicked why some of my friends from Twitter are mystified by Mastodon and can't understand it. Whereas I don't think there's anything to understand. It's clear and obvious to me.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 11:56 am

I've not looked at mastodon. I'll check it out and see what I think. I'm a bit of a middle grounder.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 12:03 pm

The problem a lot of people have on Mastodon is that they aren't spoonfed what to read and like. On there you have to make your own friends, interests, life. Follow people and hashtags to find friends. Hashtags are very important.

Many people are brainwashed by the mainstream social media and can't cope if they aren't shown what to like and read, they don't have initiative to find things for themselves. I don't think you're like that though.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 12:04 pm

Ok so at quick glance. It looks like a lot of randomness. But I've only been on for 30 seconds.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 12:05 pm

As I said, you have to make your own life on Mastodon, you won't get told what to do.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 12:10 pm

Yeah I just went on for another 30 seconds and to me it's looking a lot like Twitter. Maybe a bit mellower. I actually don't do social media but I'll keep checking in every now and then and see if I get on with it.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 12:19 pm

I've uninstalled it. :lol:

I don't know why but it's just lacking something for me.

r@y
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2023, 12:20 pm

I've read this many times. It's sad to me, because if the governments, big news agencies etc. had taken this chance to move everything to Mastodon and leave Twitter, Instagram etc., the world would have maybe had a chance of going to **** less rapidly. But the way it happened Mastodon stayed a place for NDs who often felt superior and also often rightfully happy to have a place for themselves.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 12:23 pm

Is it actually site set up for ND folk?

r@y
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Nov 2023, 12:31 pm

babybird wrote:
Is it actually site set up for ND folk?

No, but folklore says it was set up by ND folk. So it just happened to suit their needs and developed its own culture that way. By accident more than by design.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 12:35 pm

Ok. I'm just looking at X now and there is a distinct difference in posting styles. I think one seems to be more punchier and aggressive than the other.

I suppose it's different strokes for different folks.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 1:15 pm

I can see also how NTs may struggle with the straightforwardness and honesty of some people with autism. I don't mean that in a negative way against autistic people or NDs but it is a barrier sometimes and some NTs take offense to it. Not because anything offensive has been said but because it can be confusing and the last thing that most people want is to feel confused.

Like with me for example. I'm not educated really and I struggle with reading and comprehension and I talk usually in layman's terms and most of the time I get by and most people I can get along with and there are no barriers but every now and then I'm really smart and it kind of almost physically shocks people. Now some people like it but some people absolutely f*****g hate it because all of a sudden I've outsmarted them and made them feel stupid whereas before I was the stupid one and they were kind of happy to feel superior. Some people feel offended by this and confused when in reality said nothing to offend anyone.

Anyway that was waaayyy off topic so apologies.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2023, 4:25 pm

babybird wrote:
I've uninstalled it. :lol:

I don't know why but it's just lacking something for me.

How on earth can you judge a site if you've only been on it for a minute or so? Sorry but that's crazy. You need to give it a fair chance like a month at the very least.