Lessons in Chemistry Autistic Headcanon?

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2023, 12:21 pm

First of all, the show is fantastic and Brie Larson should win an Emmy for the role. But it seems clear that she and her boyfriend were coded as autistic. Has there been any confirmation?

And on a broader level, what do folks think about shows that offer characters with autistic traits without calling them autistic?

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2023, 3:39 pm

In real life or the characters?

I think more shows need to actually be brave enough to admit their characters are Autistic

I believe cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants is Autistic even though there isn't any official confirmation by Nickelodeon or United Plankton Pictures

His traits are in-line with the Autism Spectrum like inability to interpret social cues and his special obsessions

And his voice actor Tom Kenny believes SpongeBob is Autistic too!

NowWhatDoIDo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Nov 2023, 8:06 pm

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
In real life or the characters?

I think more shows need to actually be brave enough to admit their characters are Autistic

That's what I'm getting at. The characters are clearly coded as autistic but they aren't described this way, so I'm labeling it headcanon.