Why is it hard for me to find a man who is actually close to

Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2023, 10:46 am

My dad was 12 years older than my mum and they were very happy. My friend's dad is 16 years older than her mum, they're happy.

I don't think age matters as much as whether they are compatible with you.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2023, 11:21 am

Huh I never thought of it that way!

So I should go for Jonathan despite the age difference?

I really do like him and see potential!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2023, 12:51 pm

With Normals, the difference in age often results in a clash of pop cultures. One's taste in music and movies.
But, if you are on the spectrum, none of that may matter, as we often don't get into that. Or our tastes are more aligned with a different generation.

There is also the Taylor Swift phenomena, in which she has been on top of her game for so long that she is now a multi-generational icon to women fans. Most guys don't get her. So age isn't going to play into this. With TS the lines are gender rather than generational.

Taylor Swift is the little girl who refused to be pushed down by big and powerful men. Instead of going away quietly she is now a billionaire!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 8:54 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:

I think it's worth it just to see if you get on well with him. We always regret the things we DON'T do more than the things we do. And we all end up dead anyway, so why not try things out while you're alive to see if you like them?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 9:16 am

I agree with others who have said they have no problem with the age differential.

I am curious though. Given that you're both in a day program, how much freedom do you have to meet up outside the program? I guess if you and he decided you wanted to get married, the counselors etc. would have a hard time stopping you, but otherwise there are usually roadblocks, either because neither of you can travel independently or because your living situation is supervised and those responsible ensure that contact with potential sex partners is restricted. This sort of seems unfair, because non-disabled people, who have their own income and have access to cars or Uber, can do more or less as they please, but for disabled people who require a certain level of support, their only chance for an intimate relationship is if they can get married, which isn't a easy thing to achieve. In addition, people who want opposite-sex relationships may be more restricted. If you lived in a group home, they probably wouldn't let you entertain a man in your bedroom but they'd let you entertain a woman. Is that fair?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 10:24 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:

Why not! :D

It might be a "Happily Ever After" senario give or take a few adventures along the way!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 10:42 am

Mikurotoro92 wrote:

Since people in your program are okay with clients dating, I think you should do what you want to.

Since you are vulnerable, I would talk to a counselor in the program about it first, though. Just to be on the safe side. They know him, but we don’t.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 2:16 pm

MaxE wrote:
I agree with others who have said they have no problem with the age differential.

I am curious though. Given that you're both in a day program, how much freedom do you have to meet up outside the program? I guess if you and he decided you wanted to get married, the counselors etc. would have a hard time stopping you, but otherwise there are usually roadblocks, either because neither of you can travel independently or because your living situation is supervised and those responsible ensure that contact with potential sex partners is restricted. This sort of seems unfair, because non-disabled people, who have their own income and have access to cars or Uber, can do more or less as they please, but for disabled people who require a certain level of support, their only chance for an intimate relationship is if they can get married, which isn't a easy thing to achieve. In addition, people who want opposite-sex relationships may be more restricted. If you lived in a group home, they probably wouldn't let you entertain a man in your bedroom but they'd let you entertain a woman. Is that fair?

We can very easily see each other outside of Day Program

He lives not too far from me and has offered to drive me places

I'm thinking if we were to start dating and have sex it would most likely be once he moves out of his parents' house into an apartment!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 2:35 pm

Mikurotoro92 wrote:
MaxE wrote:

We can very easily see each other outside of Day Program

He lives not too far from me and has offered to drive me places

I'm thinking if we were to start dating and have sex it would most likely be once he moves out of his parents' house into an apartment!

I can't help asking why, if he has a car, he is a candidate for a day program. But then you haven't really given much detail about the program. To my understanding, day programs are for people whose disability is serious enough that they can't work full time, and having some knowledge of this (my son is in Special Olympics and I had seen a broad spectrum of disability, and in general if you have a car you can probably work full time) I am surprised. Not trying to insinuate something, just puzzled.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 2:52 pm

Lots of people who have cars can’t work full-time. It’s not that unusual. I knew one person who had a car and was in a day program.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 2:54 pm

Day Program is for ALL people with disabilities regardless of type or severity

He does have a job at a supermarket

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2023, 11:47 pm

Well please don't pressure him to move out of his parents' house if he's not ready. If he's happy where he is, you should be willing to accept that.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 12:33 am

MaxE wrote:
Well please don't pressure him to move out of his parents' house if he's not ready. If he's happy where he is, you should be willing to accept that.

He has already started the process of moving out even before we met

I was just saying it would be the easiest way to have sex with him if we were to start a romantic relationship

Or we could go to a hotel

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 12:37 am

Just curious Mikurotoro, but what are your views on sex? Forgive me if I am wrong, but from reading your posts, I get the impression that you are desperate to have sex.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 12:43 am

DirkGently69 wrote:
Just curious Mikurotoro, but what are your views on sex? Forgive me if I am wrong, but from reading your posts, I get the impression that you are desperate to have sex.

I am tired of being a virgin and would eventually want to experience sex so I can erase my "good girl" persona that I have had for SO long!

I haven't made out with or passionately kissed a guy in years!

It's not that I'm desperate to finally have sex it's more that I feel I have waited long enough and if I decide to start a family I have to start having sex NOW because my biological clock is ticking

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2023, 12:47 am

Thanks for clarifying that for me. It’s understandable that you feel your biological clock is ticking. Just make sure that it’s with someone you love if kids are what you want. Fingers crossed for you.