Resources for Wrongful Termination?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Blue Thunder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Nov 2023, 5:02 pm

Hi all:

I was let go from my job of nearly 10 years within hours when a new manager found out I had an Americans with Disabilities Act letter outlining needed reasonable accomodations to do my job well. I never received those accomodations and the letter was ignored. The result of all this is going from working full time to being unemployed. Are there resources out there to help people on the autistic spectrum such as myself to advocate for themselves? Thank you!

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2023, 8:34 pm

You might qant to get a lawyer for this one. You'd have to prove they fired you because of your disability and not laid off for some other reason.

Good luck! That is super crappy!

NobodyNothingJr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Nov 2023, 11:23 am

Blue Thunder wrote:
Hi all:

I was let go from my job of nearly 10 years within hours when a new manager found out I had an Americans with Disabilities Act letter outlining needed reasonable accomodations to do my job well. I never received those accomodations and the letter was ignored. The result of all this is going from working full time to being unemployed. Are there resources out there to help people on the autistic spectrum such as myself to advocate for themselves? Thank you!

I can try to help you a bit as I worked in HR and employment law is one of my special interests. Did this employer have an official HR manager and did they receive your letter? Did they provide you a reason for termination in writing?

In these situations it depends on what you want out of it. Do you want to sue for discrimination or do you want your job back? Or do you just want a different job that will accommodate you?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2023, 11:42 am

You could get a lawyer, most offer a free consultation in fact. With "at-will" employment being what it is, unless your employer specifically declared in writing that you were being terminated due specifically to your disability, they can terminate you employment at any time, just as you can. It would be an uphill battle trying to prove that your disability was the sole reason you were let go.