online college/uni courses -> set schedules or entirely flex

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2023, 5:04 pm

ible?

I'm sure I can google later, and I will, but curious if anyone has taken any courses that were entirely at your own pace w/o any set schedules for live lectures ?

I've only taken one class online (film industry foundations for set construction) and there was a weekly set time for live lectures, and then course work was kinda at your own pace - just all had to be completed before the in person couple week practicum.

I'm curious if there are accredited first year college/uni classes administered online that have no set login times ? Dunno if such a thing exists, but curious. Would be nice if lectures/presentations were all. pre-recorded and simply available for viewing/download whenever, and work could be done whenever. It'd enable me to take classes from schools in different time zones w/o having to adjust my work/life schedule in order to be online for lectures at a specific time in the afternoon or whatever. It'd also let me take on work with long days if there's no set login time in the evening that I'd Have To Be home & online for.

Anyone ever done any online courses with no set scheduled login times for classes? Things like year one English, math, chemistry, biology etc - that sort of stuff, base level foundations for sciences. Do courses exist that are entirely automated in their administration so that someone can do their school work in the later evening or middle of the night or weekend day or two off ? Or nah, e v e r y course out there is going to have a set login time once or twice a week that you Need to be available for and online?

David1346
Raven
Raven

29 Dec 2023, 5:39 am

A lot of online college courses including those associated with degree programs are completely asynchronous with no live lectures. This does not mean that there are no deadlines. You generally have a week to complete and submit all written assignments. There is usually a discussion forum that requires a certain level of participation. When you do these assignments or participate within the discussion forum is up to you so long as you meet the posted expectations.

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 5:48 am

i am currently in such an online program, set in semesters. the deadline for turning in assignments is each sunday at midnight but you complete it when you can. typically modules are opened each week but some professors open all modules at once so you can work ahead if you like. many accredited universities offer 100% online programs, so you can search for them that way, or hybrid if you did like the option to meet in person.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2024, 4:56 pm

I did an online class last Winter in film set construction and related intro to film industry stuff. The academic online portion was a breeze and I scored highly, but tended to put off completing assignments until the last minute. The in person 3 weeks building sets in a studio was cool.

I CAN do online schooling - and I might... especially since there are a lot of 1st year classes available for free from major universities (free samples, then they want you to carry on studying there) and all you pay for are books and transcripts. But I'm also contemplating just registering for in person full time school in September and just quitting whatever job I'm doing at the time.. because if I don't prioritize taking part time online classes, then I'll force myself to go all in full time even if it costs me more money.

Hmmmmm.. massive life decisions lol I really need to finish clearing my slate of back burner overdue things this Winter/Spring to free my mind to make decisions and take action.

jogashill
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 5:19 am

good luck!!

some other things to possibly consider: accommodations at universities are available for different learning styles, such as extensions, etc. some diagnoses could also qualify as a disability, which could provide money towards tuition. but this is in the states, not sure how canada's programs function.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2024, 11:07 am

jogashill wrote:
good luck!!

some other things to possibly consider: accommodations at universities are available for different learning styles, such as extensions, etc. some diagnoses could also qualify as a disability, which could provide money towards tuition. but this is in the states, not sure how canada's programs function.

My biggest fault as a student is doing things at the last moment vs staying on top of things or getting ahead and staying ahead. Other than time management I don’t really have major issues that would impact learning/studying. I’ve tended not to need extensions - I just pull all nighters.

I highly doubt I would qualify for any sort of funding. It may be possible, but I highly doubt it. I would have a better chance at writing for some bursaries or something.